Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad McNamara, please consign Mark Howard to the BBL. Please, i mean please. I'll end up disliking him more than James Brayshaw when he was on channel 9. I'm not against ball by ball callers who didn't play professionally calling the cricket. I was hoping Alison Mitchell got a gig on Fox. I've heard Grant Nisbett, the voice of rugby in NZ call cricket and do a fine job. Howie is suited to the BBL and that's it.

other than trying to justify the money spent on hiring cricket personalities, I still don't understand why they're still doing the 3 person commentary team.
You've basically hit the nail on the head there (though 9 had shelved the three man commentary team), there's too many comms on Fox so they have to have 3 people in the box.

I really don't get Mark Howard for Fox's format. As the ball-by-ball guy he's fine, but he offers * all else.

do you really think it slipped the minds of news ltd, fairfax, the abc, etc? it was reported extensively at the time. it was also the start of football season. the pieces about it now are informing the people who may have missed it or forgotten about it

as it turns out the abc's reporting did get it wrong: it didn't face any regulatory hurdles

Once you begrudgingly stump up for Foxtel, for the casual sports fan it's brilliant, if it had the EPL it would be perfect. And it's easier than ever before. It's really the only thing Foxtel does well.

I can't imagine ODI's rated too well on Ch 9 at the end, so maybe the right place for them is on Foxtel. It feels counter-intuitive to price people out of the cricket watching market, but maybe i'm just a bit old fashioned.

I really don't get Mark Howard for Fox's format. As the ball-by-ball guy he's fine, but he offers **** all else.
Quite simply I think he’s more suited for BBL coverage, I’m not sure how suited he’s going to be in the tests

You've basically hit the nail on the head there (though 9 had shelved the three man commentary team), there's too many comms on Fox so they have to have 3 people in the box.

I really don't get Mark Howard for Fox's format. As the ball-by-ball guy he's fine, but he offers **** all else.
Don't need ball by ball on TV coverage.

And the viewing figures are in; 205,000, less than the Gold Coast Supercars and rugby league Test against Tonga. I get that you can't compare pay TV viewing figures with free to air, but that is worrying information for anyone who cares about ODI cricket.

From my understanding, Channel Seven do have the FTA Rights to ALL Internationals which includes the ODIs and T20s however have chosen not to utilise them. This is how Fox Cricket and Cricket Australia have doged the Anti-Siphoning laws. That being said, it doesn't mean Channel Seven won't choose to use them in future seasons especially if the men's team is performing and rating well along with a popularity in cricket returning. It will also help that Seven doesn't have the Melbourne Cup Carnival from next year- that may too help the limited overs matches being back on FTA TV.

I think that the BBL Final and WBBL Final should be given a greater wrap then what they currently get. With a new Broadcast rights, there is a chance now to have a full couple hour Pre Game show and build up to the big game similar to that of Channel Seven and Fox for the AFL Grand Final.

A few ideas for making the BBL and WBBL Finals bigger
* Fox Cricket Longest Hit
* Big Bash Final Dash
* National Anthem
* Pre Game Entertainment
* BBL Awards Night including a BBL player of the year voted by the umpires similar to the Brownlow Medal
* Big Pre Game lead in similar to the AFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From my understanding, Channel Seven do have the FTA Rights to ALL Internationals which includes the ODIs and T20s however have chosen not to utilise them. This is how Fox Cricket and Cricket Australia have doged the Anti-Siphoning laws. That being said, it doesn't mean Channel Seven won't choose to use them in future seasons especially if the men's team is performing and rating well along with a popularity in cricket returning. It will also help that Seven doesn't have the Melbourne Cup Carnival from next year- that may too help the limited overs matches being back on FTA TV.
That was the loophole to avoid anti-siphoning laws (a bastardisation of the laws, at that), but Foxtel and 7 would have their own agreement. We won't be getting ODIs back on free-to-air unless there's a real backlash.

And the viewing figures are in; 205,000, less than the Gold Coast Supercars and rugby league Test against Tonga. I get that you can't compare pay TV viewing figures with free to air, but that is worrying information for anyone who cares about ODI cricket.
They're shockingly bad numbers for Fox and there's now tangible evidence that ODI cricket is in real trouble in this country because of this broadcast deal.

7 will be laughing today though - it appears that so far, the uptake of Fox for the cricket has been minimal.

Full article incase anyone was interested: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/en...akes-massive-ratings-hit-20181105-p50e2r.html

They're shockingly bad numbers for Fox and there's now tangible evidence that ODI cricket is in real trouble in this country because of this broadcast deal.

7 will be laughing today though - it appears that so far, the uptake of Fox for the cricket has been minimal.

Full article incase anyone was interested: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/en...akes-massive-ratings-hit-20181105-p50e2r.html
That's the whole point of exclusive content early in the season, to generate new subscribers. They've stuffed it up a bit by not having their mobile app ready, so people still got to watch it on the CA app. It would be interesting to know how many watched it on the CA app, incidentally - I know I did.

I don't think it shows ODI cricket is in real trouble, though. A meaningless ODI series, in Cup Week, with a team playing badly, with no stars, in the middle of the ethics review/CA resignation shenanigans, with no FTA coverage - this was never going to go well. But it doesn't mean ODIs in general are dying.

Ill watch all forms of cricket but I've always found 50 over matches a lot more interesting than T20 matches tbh. Was always going to be hard to rate well for this match with all the current issues around the team.
Far more interesting. Bowlers get a chance for a decent spell or two and batsmen get a similar chance to play a decent innings. Plus there is far more capacity for ebbs and flows in 50 over cricket than compared to the WWE format.

That's the whole point of exclusive content early in the season, to generate new subscribers. They've stuffed it up a bit by not having their mobile app ready, so people still got to watch it on the CA app. It would be interesting to know how many watched it on the CA app, incidentally - I know I did.

I don't think it shows ODI cricket is in real trouble, though. A meaningless ODI series, in Cup Week, with a team playing badly, with no stars, in the middle of the ethics review/CA resignation shenanigans, with no FTA coverage - this was never going to go well. But it doesn't mean ODIs in general are dying.

You've just stated exactly why ODI cricket is in trouble. It's all of those factors of which the meaningless ODI series and no FTA coverage will be constant. With the amount of cricket played throughout the year I think the lack of 'stars' in the national limited over side will be constant too due to resting/ rotation. The ethics review obviously isn't a direct long term factor although if you are a big enough fan of the game to fork out for Fox I dare say that this issue hasn't prevented you from doing so. Yes the team will get better though and that does create interest.

Maybe I'm wrong and people will sign up now they realise that ODI cricket is behind a paywall. I'm just of the opinion that the people who haven't signed up yet aren't big enough fans to do so now. And why would they with all of those issues you raised in your post?

The point that hasn't been raised yet though is that it was just such a poor match that people could have just switched off because of that. If that's the case then fair enough.

I'd much prefer the ODIs be on FTA (since I don't have Foxtel), judging this whole thing because of poor ratings for early season meaningless ODIs is a bit silly.

I think it's fair to say that rating less than the V8 supercars is troubling for ODI's specifically when you consider what they rated last year (900k+) and the precedent set in the UK. As I said before, I don't think cricket in general is in any problem.

Maybe I'm wrong and people will sign up now they realise that ODI cricket is behind a paywall. I'm just of the opinion that the people who haven't signed up yet aren't big enough fans to do so now. And why would they with all of those issues you raised in your post?

This might've really pushed people to Foxtel in the past but somebody earlier made the point that today people will simply watch Netflix or whatever they've torrented instead if finding cricket becomes a chore or a 2-year contract. The entertainment options and volume of content available now is so different from 2003.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back