Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dream is a 36 game season where we play everybody twice. Plus a normal final series. Extend the squad to deal with injuries and have 80% of the year having a football game. Unrealistic but that’s the dream.
Except it would be 34 games as they won’t let you play with yourself on prime time TV :)

Pipped at the post!

Move 1 team to Tasi
Fold 1 team (relegate to VFL)
Merge 2 teams (both keep VFL standalone presence)

16 teams (2 WA, 2 SA, 2 QLD, 2 NSW, 7 Vic, 1 TAS)
30 rounds
No preseason games (clubs can organise scratch matches as they see fit)
Shorten games (15 min + time on quarters)
More 5 + 6 day breaks.
Bigger lists
Better list usage (mandated 2 games min off for each player in a season)
Mid season State league draft to cover LTI

Finals remain as is.

Move 1 team to Tasi

30 rounds
More 5 + 6 day breaks.
Bigger lists

Finals remain as is.
Agree with everything except for 30 rounds. That’s far too long imo.

Agree with everything except for 30 rounds. That’s far too long imo.
Hence the shorter games, having them closer together, player breaks, scrapping the pre season games

The ONLY fair fixture is one where everyone plays twice.

Everyone playing once is not any fairer, as who you play away v home can make a massive difference where you finish on the ladder.

Also means some teams get 1 extra home game. Best you could do is whoever has home derby gets 9 home games, swapping yearly.
(ie WC 8 home + 1 away derby + 9 away / Freo 9 home (incl derby) + 9 away)

Move 1 team to Tasi

30 rounds
More 5 + 6 day breaks.
Bigger lists

Finals remain as is.
A 4 week finals series wouldn't be necessary with a fixture like that. Could just have a top 4.

Ideally, you would have 14 teams and 26 rounds, that is manageable.

Vic x 6 teams
WA x 2 teams
SA x 2 teams
QLD x 2 teams
NSW x 2 teams

You need a minimum of two teams in every state to keep up the interest.

You have a top six.

Ideally, you would have 14 teams and 26 rounds, that is manageable.

Vic x 6 teams
WA x 2 teams
SA x 2 teams
QLD x 2 teams
NSW x 2 teams

You need a minimum of two teams in every state to keep up the interest.

You have a top six.

Reckon you could change QLD to one and have the spare move to Tas/another Vic or just fewer games.

One thing I like about fewer teams is it concentrates talent into a smaller, higher quality pool leading to what you would expect to be a higher quality product. As it stands I don't think the talent pool runs deep enough to service 18 teams and I think you're seeing that in just how badly to bottom 2-3 teams are.

Reckon you could change QLD to one and have the spare move to Tas/another Vic or just fewer games.

One thing I like about fewer teams is it concentrates talent into a smaller, higher quality pool leading to what you would expect to be a higher quality product. As it stands I don't think the talent pool runs deep enough to service 18 teams and I think you're seeing that in just how badly to bottom 2-3 teams are.

The bottom 2 or 3 teams have always sucked balls, at least in the 30 odd years I have watched AFL.

I think equalisation has herded the top 10-12 teams much closer together now the Hawthorn anomaly has subsided. It means more sides are just that key piece or run of late season form away from being contenders. Different to the days of 2-4 sides being head and shoulders above the rest but it's a good different I think.

I can see why you have fond memories of those real super sides, they were amazing to watch in full flight or the rare top of the table clashes but often the season was near decided for 3/4 of the teams by halfway through the year. More teams live later into the year is good for the game IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just for once let's leave the competition alone. If you look at the last 20 Premiership teams tell me which of those teams did not deserve to win the premiership based on the season that was played out. If you play 22 games then a series of Finals games and win the last game you usually deserve the premiership you don't just win them by luck. The teams that have won flags deserve them.
Maybe the Western Bulldogs winning it from 7th is an example of a team that scraped into the finals but clicked on the finals stage and maybe that's the one example of a team that probably clicked when it mattered. But generally everyone else has one flags when they truly deserved it and that's taking nothing away from the Western Bulldogs who were fantastic in that final series. This is my argument for leaving it alone.
The fixture will never be perfect it never has been and it never will be so stop trying to make something perfect when it's impossible. Yep sometimes do get a soft draw but guess what come crunch time in the finals they usually get exposed. Rarely does a team get a hard fixture miss out because of their fixture.
If you are good enough you'll find a way.
If you go back to my previous argument we've had one team win it from 7th under the new McIntyre system so let's just accept that the McIntyre system works and maybe fixed your works also. Like I said it's never going to be perfect and chasing Perfection is a waste of time and money.

The bottom 2 or 3 teams have always sucked balls, at least in the 30 odd years I have watched AFL.

I would agree but expanding the amount of teams as the amount of talent coming through also expands only prolongs this issue instead of curtailing it because by their logic more games = more money if they truely want competitive games this is a genuine answer, not 18m goal squares.

when increasing the amount of teams they were so wrapped up in thinking whether they could they forgot to stop and think if they should.

Just for once let's leave the competition alone. If you look at the last 20 Premiership teams tell me which of those teams did not deserve to win the premiership based on the season that was played out. If you play 22 games then a series of Finals games and win the last game you usually deserve the premiership you don't just win them by luck. The teams that have won flags deserve them.
Maybe the Western Bulldogs winning it from 7th is an example of a team that scraped into the finals but clicked on the finals stage and maybe that's the one example of a team that probably clicked when it mattered. But generally everyone else has one flags when they truly deserved it and that's taking nothing away from the Western Bulldogs who were fantastic in that final series. This is my argument for leaving it alone.
The fixture will never be perfect it never has been and it never will be so stop trying to make something perfect when it's impossible. Yep sometimes do get a soft draw but guess what come crunch time in the finals they usually get exposed. Rarely does a team get a hard fixture miss out because of their fixture.
If you are good enough you'll find a way.
If you go back to my previous argument we've had one team win it from 7th under the new McIntyre system so let's just accept that the McIntyre system works and maybe fixed your works also. Like I said it's never going to be perfect and chasing Perfection is a waste of time and money.
I think the biggest factor is the travel. You could probably cop the fixture like it is if every team was evenly spread distance wise. If you found a way to get 2 games, home and away, you’d at least be getting every team over here twice a year (including Freo) to make the “hardest road trip in football” (completely disregarding the fact us and Freo do it every second week).

If the AFL were 100% serious about having an even and competitive league they’d cut/merge the 4 weakest teams (financially, on field and membership wise), **** AFLX and the preseason off and play a 26 round season (Top 6, 1.2 go straight to prelim. 3.6 and 4.5 play off for other spots).

If money is the issue you’d soon make that up with 50k+ getting to every game. Dropping the worst 170 players from the league would improve the spectacle massively. It won’t/can’t happen because “tradition” (when it suits them) and the AFL aren’t one to admit defeat or admit they’re wrong. Just continue to sprout this “congestion” and “state of the game” bs while changing the rules. But anyone with half a brain would look up the top of the ladder and realise “hey, footy isn’t actually that bad when it’s played properly, the talent is just spread out over to many teams”.

Move 1 team to Tasi

30 rounds
More 5 + 6 day breaks.
Bigger lists

Finals remain as is.

Like it, except for the 15 minute quarters - make them 20 minutes and I'm sold.

Simple solutions.
Play 8 teams twice, home and away PLUS the one constant double up. WCE v Freo, GWS v Syd, etc.
The remaining 8 teams get played once either home or away.
The following year the 8 teams are swapped over.
The 8 teams you played once are rotated home or away the next time you play them just once.
Every 4 years everyone has played each other the same amount of times, except the constant double up.
26 rounds of footy.
No pre-season crap just straight into it in the first weekend in March.
Play first of 9 double ups then a one week no footy bye across the board.
Play the 8 single games next then another bye.
Play the remaining 9 double ups then go straight into finals and may the best team win where the only teams that get a bye are the ones that earn it.
Season will go 7 months plus finals.

These are professional athletes on big bucks nowadays doing what they love to do with professional coaches, sports scientists, fitness staff all looking after them. They will be ok.

Too even and fair ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back