Is West Coast Eagles 2018 Premiership win the best in the history of Football? Can they go Back to Back in Season 2019? Or Will complacency set in?

Was the Eagles premiership win the best the game has ever seen?

• Yes

Votes: 141 34.2%
  • No

Votes: 271 65.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not totally sure about that, although the Eagles were always looking like coming back after the Magpies big early start the previous poster was also right, Treloar should have held on to the ball, chipped it around instead of going the big kick to the area covered by the best intercept marker in the game, add a bad call on the block and in most circumstances Collingwood should have won the game.
Focusing on one bad decision by a Collingwood player and saying they should have won is just stupid - you could argue the Eagles should have won by more as they missed a few shots on goal - plus the Darling dropped marked. The Eagles could / should have won by 3 or 4 goals in the end.

And focusing on one 50-50 call is also pretty silly - there was many 50-50 decisions (or just plain wrong calls like not paying HTB in the eagles goal square) that could/should have gone the Eagles way too.

In any close game there will always be decisions by players and umps that affect the game - on both sides. Highlighting one or two and ignoring all others that disprove your statement doesn't really prove anything.

Bulldogs 2016 was a fairy tail no doubt, but its sullied by doing nothing before and after that...was a flash in the pan.

Take out the sides most influential player in NN. But a great player and arguably the best ruckmen in the comp too. MOST INFLUENTIAL PLAYER

Doggies - Bontempelli?
Cats - Dangerfield
Richmond - Martin
Hawks - Mitchell
Collingwood - Pendlebury/Sidebottom
Freo - Fyfe
Carlton - Cripps
Saints - I have NFI
Lions - Beams
Gold Coast - Lynch
Essendon - Heppell/ Devon Smith
Melbourne - Oliver
North - Higgins
GWS - Kelly/Coniglio/Scully
Adelaide - Sloane
Port - Robbie Gray
Sydney - Buddy

Would these teams be able to win a Premiership missing their best player? No doubt people will argue Geelong and Hawthorn in 2011 and 2013. This isn't then. This is now. In any case, on top of that, take out more. As mentioned Gaff was leading the WCE's best and fairest or Brownlow count up until his suspension and was 2nd favourite to win the Brownlow in market betting. Gaff was WCE's best performing and arguably most influential player THIS SEASON. So not only do they have one of their best and most important weapons out, they now have two. That's two huge massive cogs missing in their engine. Could other sides cover not one out, but also their best, but two? I don't think so. Throw in another gun in Sheppard who is easily one of WCE's best defenders and really emerged as a great player since 2015, who can cover that? A bloke who adds different dimensions to their game and can go forward or play in the middle. A ball getter and disposal machine in Gaff and a slick and solid rock in defence. Mckenzie was already out injured and was a solid and quality defender too. People forget that, and his match saving effort in the final against Port last year.

When it comes down to it, you might be able to win a flag missing one, and that's a big if with the players mentioned above. But two with the influence they bring to the club as well as proven quality, no chance.

That's what makes this Eagles win the best in the history of the game.

Bulldogs 2016 was a fairy tail no doubt, but its sullied by doing nothing before and after that...was a flash in the pan.
what they did before and after is of no consequence. For me their win is the second best of all time behind the Eagles. Reason it's not the first, refer my post above.

Terrible argument. 2015 and 2017-18 have no bearing on 2016 and certainly don’t sully it.

What did the eagles do in 2017? Narrowly won an Elimination final by less than a kick then got belted in a semi final?

Dogs also played finals the year before their flag in 2015 and narrowly lost an elimination final.

Does this mean if wce don’t back it up that 2018 is sullied? Of course not

OP is spot on.

1970 was the last time a team came from 5 goals behind in a Grand Final to win. We did it without 3 players that are top 10 of our squad. Did it on the oppositions home ground. Did it during an era of low scoring. Did it after the nightmare of 3 years ago getting blown away by Hawthorn.

Anyone denying the magnitude of the 2018 Eagles overcoming great odds is either a hater, jealous, ignorant or a combination of the above.

Last edited:
All the obstacles, outs, demons from 2015, demons from a host of missed chances in the last quarter. They had a bloke lining up for goal from a very acute angle, with not just the game on the line, but a premiership. The cup was on his shoulders, and his shoulders alone. With less than 2 minutes remaining.

A Sheed of Cake. Biggest kick and most important kick, and the hardest kick, in the history of Game.

BANG!

OP is spot on.

1937 was the last time a team came from 5 goals behind in a Grand Final to win. We did it without 3 players that are top 10 of our squad. Did it on the oppositions home ground. Did it during an era of low scoring. Did it after the nightmare of 3 years ago getting blown away by Hawthorn.

Anyone denying the magnitude of the 2018 Eagles overcoming great odds is either a hater, jealous, ignorant or a combination of the above.
I cant argue with that.

Focusing on one bad decision by a Collingwood player and saying they should have won is just stupid - you could argue the Eagles should have won by more as they missed a few shots on goal - plus the Darling dropped marked. The Eagles could / should have won by 3 or 4 goals in the end.

And focusing on one 50-50 call is also pretty silly - there was many 50-50 decisions (or just plain wrong calls like not paying HTB in the eagles goal square) that could/should have gone the Eagles way too.

In any close game there will always be decisions by players and umps that affect the game - on both sides. Highlighting one or two and ignoring all others that disprove your statement doesn't really prove anything.
Im guessing you missed the point, the Eagles won fair and square but Collingwood should have won, ask any coach if you're in front with 2 mins to go and have the ball at your own end of the ground in your control, you should win the game. All clubs train for this eventuality, bad mistake by Treloar and DeGooey not to mention an obvious missed free, of course this happens throughout a game but any coach would pull his hair out when it happens with 2 mins to go in a GF.
Eagles were coming home strong and all they needed was a sniff Collingwood gave them this, simple fact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn’t expect anything less from the Eagles cheerleader that is the OP.

Don’t think anyone ever replicates the run of the 2016 Bulldogs again. 4 finals in a row from 7th, two interstate. Incredible.
Even moreso when you add the weight of history with only 3 GF appearances and the injuries throughout the year.

what they did before and after is of no consequence. For me their win is the second best of all time behind the Eagles. Reason it's not the first, refer my post above.
In hindsight the Eagles were the best performing team over the last 4 years - just none of the 'experts' did enough homework to see it coming. That said to overcome the challenges they did and win the flag was still a mighty fine efforts. It was a great premiership... but I'm not going to run around saying it was the greatest.

The Bulldogs flag in 2016 was incredible - a massive part of it coming down to timing with injuries. Were they the best team that year? Not a chance - but they were in the 4 weeks that count. But not sure that makes it the greatest either.

I think they will take it.

I reckon 2016 was the most amazing granny ever - its all well and good winning a granny against an mcg tenant - its laudable - but we only travelled once and were well rested - the dogs did it the hardest way possible and play as many games at the g as sydney if not less.

Yeah they did nothing after - but s**t they left it all on the field.

North Melb in 1975 when they won their first premiership also deserves a mention.

Zip-4 after round 4.
Lost 6 of their first 9 games.
Entered the top 5 for the first time in round 14.
After round 18 they moved up to 3rd on the ladder but were still 4 wins behind Carlton who were 2nd.
Failed to beat top team Hawthorn in 3 attempts including the second semi final.
North finally beat the hawks when it counted in the grand final, controlling the game and then kicking 7 goals to 2 in the final 15 minutes to win by 55 points. They achieved this after having vital games for many weeks to move into the top 5 and then consolidate the double chance.

https://afltables.com/afl/seas/1975.html#lad

North Melb in 1975 when they won their first premiership also deserves a mention.

Zip-4 after round 4.
Lost 6 of their first 9 games.
Entered the top 5 for the first time in round 14.
After round 18 they moved up to 3rd on the ladder but were still 4 wins behind Carlton who were 2nd.
Failed to beat top team Hawthorn in 3 attempts including the second semi final.
North finally beat the hawks when it counted in the grand final, controlling the game and then kicking 7 goals to 2 in the final 15 minutes to win by 55 points. They achieved this after having vital games for many weeks to move into the top 5 and then consolidate the double chance.

https://afltables.com/afl/seas/1975.html#lad
Hard to forget that year, they stopped Richmonds run at a threepeat in the Prelim, I was thouroughly pissed off as the Grand Final was on my 12th Birthday, I had to wait to my 17th Birthday to get the double celebration when Richmond hammered Collingwood in 1980.

Hard to forget that year, they stopped Richmonds run at a threepeat in the Prelim, I was thouroughly pissed off as the Grand Final was on my 12th Birthday, I had to wait to my 17th Birthday to get the double celebration when Richmond hammered Collingwood in 1980.

Sept 27...You also had a double celebration in 1969 !!.. after the tigers almost sacked Hafey earlier that season, did it the hard way, just made the finals on percentage and went on to win the grand final against us.

https://afltables.com/afl/seas/1969.html#fin

I'm in awe of the OP and his intimate knowledge of 120+ years of premiers. It is a little curious that 2018 is the best and 2016 the second best in history, but only a harsh cynic would suggest he is a johnny come lately with **** all idea about football.
he lost me at the "most hardest" bit

it was a good premiership no doubt

however they didn't face richmond . had they beaten them in the GF, it would have made it better.

theres other better premierships. dogs 16

Back