Prediction Who will Captain GCFC in 2019

SunsGal

Senior List
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
David Swallow for me. Long touted as captain material, play him full time midfield and I think he will finally show the AFL world hpw good he is.
I think Dave would be great but watched him on Touk's Talk and not surprisingly he was saying its hard to balance footy and his little family. I'm not convinced the extra pressure would be good for him right now. Leadership group - definite yes, but captain? Not convinced

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I’m guessing if Touk has already been in contact with incoming players while on holidays overseas then that would make him a candidate.. I would just hope whoever it is can handle the pressures of being Captain and be able to handle the media something Tom Lynch clearly had struggles with..
also witts was stand in captain this year but from afar doesn’t really seem like a captain which maybe different “within the four walls” as they say

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

SunsGal

Senior List
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I’m guessing if Touk has already been in contact with incoming players while on holidays overseas then that would make him a candidate.. I would just hope whoever it is can handle the pressures of being Captain and be able to handle the media something Tom Lynch clearly had struggles with..
also witts was stand in captain this year but from afar doesn’t really seem like a captain which maybe different “within the four walls” as they say

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Touk definitely loves the media. Must say I was pleasantly surprised to see Witts as co-host at the Ladies lunch this year, duties on stage in front of about 500 women! He's usually pretty quiet to chat to

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Touk definitely loves the media. Must say I was pleasantly surprised to see Witts as co-host at the Ladies lunch this year, duties on stage in front of about 500 women! He's usually pretty quiet to chat to

After the game in cairns Touk and risha came around the fence line and shook hand and thanked us for coming.. really humble guys

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast
Think Dave Swallow is the obvious new Captain. Has been there from the start - a steadying influence - not flashy, very workmanlike- exactly what we need for this next period.
Fully understand Touk's current role - he easily identifies with younger players and is more naturally outgoing than Swallow - so good for PR duties.
As a player he's still too young to be boss in his own right at this stage IMO. May lead the team in the future though.

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Think Dave Swallow is the obvious new Captain. Has been there from the start - a steadying influence - not flashy, very workmanlike- exactly what we need for this next period.
Fully understand Touk's current role - he easily identifies with younger players and is more naturally outgoing than Swallow - so good for PR duties.
As a player he's still too young to be boss in his own right at this stage IMO. May lead the team in the future though.

It’s all good to say he should be captain but having a new young family wife has a business he might not want that responsibility.. I think dew will opt for co captains again maybe Touk and Weller or Touk and witts

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Also the elephant in the room is that Dave will have to extend his contract to end-game you'd think to satisfy the hierarchy
But he deserves 5 or 6 years

Risky policy, but now they’ve adopted it they need to follow through. Anyone who isn’t sure beyond 2019 must decide either way.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Suns Soldier

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2017
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Risky policy, but now they’ve adopted it they need to follow through. Anyone who isn’t sure beyond 2019 must decide either way.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

It feels risky, but we didn’t need a swamp drain without any notice.
I’m okay with it as you get a feel for who’s who in the zoo so to speak and it makes stand up guys stand out. You get a quick feel for who’s weak at the knees and you can either weed them out as we’ve done or molly coddle those if required.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
One thing I’d really like to see is just one Captain again, not Co-Captains. I did say about a month ago that I prefer Swallow as Captain because he’s a lead by example type, a cleanskin and humble.
Touk is clear candidate to be the Vice-Captain and I’d make him stand alone Vice-Captain too.
Then you just fill out the “leadership group” with whoever else the playing group votes for, Harbrow, Bowes and Weller would be my picks.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Having spoken with Dave any number of times like I’m sure many of you have he’s not a great speaker. He is more of the lead by example type.

If the players vote on Captain as they have in the past I don’t think it will be Dave, not because they don’t love or rate him but because that rousing speech, follow me boys is just not him

SunsGal

Senior List
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm told it will be Swallow and he's been working on communication skills etc
He's getting plenty of practice with the media anyway. I regularly lecture to 200 people at a time but putting a camera in my face would make it a whole different comfort zone

Back