Should a Victorian team move part time to Gold Coast?

Remove this Banner Ad

Blues going through cycle where rebuilding right. Good young kids have come in, not the same in which they are requesting to be traded back home, majority of them Victorian. Gold Coast on other hand losing teams to Vic and other states.

Yep and academies will slowly build them up.

As I said fans such as you should be thankful the AFL arent shortsighted.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

No, they should persevere with the Suns. They've been poor on field but they are getting better crowds then the Giants do at Spotless. To early to give up on either club.
This, those death-riding the Suns need to know this. If I was the AFL I'd be more worried about GWS than GC (but really both should be fine in the long run)

Brisbane & Gold Coast should merge , Queensland Lions

Spare license goes to Tasmania !!

Two problems solved !!
I got a better solution, Carlton merge with St Kilda and become the St Kilda Blue Saints.

Remove two of the three shittest teams in the comp in one.

Great idea - another way to help ensure non-Vic teams don't get to play at the G and travel more.

The Eagles should definitely play the Blues on the Gold Coast ! /s
:DWe're good

Three MCG games including the Demons yet again, selflessly forgoing gate receipts for us.

I got a better solution, Carlton merge with St Kilda and become the St Kilda Blue Saints.

Remove two of the three shittest teams in the comp in one.

Then you lose 80k members and north of 200k paying and tv watching supporters. I find these merger ideas perplexing because the existing fan base will turn their back on the comp.....

Unless of course you were being sarcastic.

Then you lose 80k members and north of 200k paying and tv watching supporters. I find these merger ideas perplexing because the existing fan base will turn their back on the comp.....

Unless of course you were being sarcastic.
I was, in response of his dumb idea to merge us (an already merged club) with the Suns (who despite being s**t get better home crowds than the Giants)

I was, in response of his dumb idea to merge us (an already merged club) with the Suns (who despite being s**t get better home crowds than the Giants)

Seems like Suns have AFL backing so no merger or relocation or folding needed.

If they can develop some positive culture under StewienDew will be good, if can’t then AFL should ask themselves do we want to go forward with 30 years of mediocrity or make an executive decision now.

Agree with this.
The SEQ side can play 6 games in Brissie and 5 at Metricon each season.
It actually makes sense.
Merging the Swans and Giants is a better idea, 6 at the SCG and 5 at Spotless, a team for all of Sydney. Can call themselves the Greater of all Sydney Giants.

Terrible idea. Lions should not merge twice.
Keep Brisbane Lions as is.
Just get them to play a few home games at Metricon each season.
The Suns are a joke and have no culture worth saving or keeping.
I hate this idea of - 'Look at the junior participation rates on the Gold Coast'.
So what?
If junior participation rates translated in to adult sport then netballers would be millionaires and the A League would pull huge crowds.
If you keep the Brisbane Lions but let them take over the GC audience by playing some home games at Metricon you can kill off the Suns completely. The Suns are an absolute joke. The Lions can become the team for all of SEQ and maintain their full culture and branding.
No need for another merger.

Merging the Swans and Giants is a better idea, 6 at the SCG and 5 at Spotless, a team for all of Sydney. Can call themselves the Greater of all Sydney Giants.
Dude. I dont think the Suns and Lions should 'merge'.
I think the Suns should dissolve the Lions take over their facilities and fans. More of a takeover.
The Lions simply absorb anything good about the suns (the stadium & the juniors) and ditch everything else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Suns should dissolve the Lions take over their facilities and fans. More of a takeover.
The Lions simply absorb anything good about the suns (the stadium & the juniors) and ditch everything else.
That's also a bad idea, I used to live on the Gold Coast. Despite what a lot of people think, there are actually a lot of people there who do follow AFL, most of them don't follow the Suns though. It's a long term project, most of the people at Suns games who actually go for the Suns are the kids, that's why they get better crowds for afternoon and twilight home games than night games. Folding or relocating them would be a huge mistake, they get better crowds now than the Giants who are making finals and way better crowds now than your mob in the early 90's

Should a vic team move to Gold Coast and settle part time 4 games a year. Suns look like aren’t a viable entity and a vic club should move in.

Hmmm.... the tens of millions of dollars involved in having a 9th game each week, or the half-baked opinion of some random on BF. Geez, it's tough to decide which is more influential here...

Brisbane & Gold Coast should merge , Queensland Lions

Spare license goes to Tasmania !!

Two problems solved !!

I have a better idea, Carlton can merge with Gold Coast. Gold Coast Blues has a nice ring to it, hey?

Similarly, I think the Swans should dissolve and the Giants can take over their facilities and fans, and ditch everything else. You seem to like the idea of killing clubs, so why don't you start at home?

I have a better idea, Carlton can merge with Gold Coast. Gold Coast Blues has a nice ring to it, hey?

Similarly, I think the Swans should dissolve and the Giants can take over their facilities and fans, and ditch everything else. You seem to like the idea of killing clubs, so why don't you start at home?
:rolleyes:Like we'd have any use for the Swans facilities! They're finally building a training track inside Randwick racecourse.

:rolleyes:Like we'd have any use for the Swans facilities! They're finally building a training track inside Randwick racecourse.

Well, a few games at the SCG a year should keep the eastern suburbs people happy, they don't deserve a full-time team because it's a joke. On the other hand, the Gold Coast Blues won't need to play any home games in Melbourne, the old Carlton supporters can have the same deal as Fitzroy.

Since "give the license to Tasmania" has been brought up again, does anyone think a Hobart team would have worse player retention problems than GC? Population is only 200k. Flight to Melbourne is only an hour shorter than GC, so it's not like it's any closer in real terms for Melbourne players wanting to nip home for a few days. There's less Tasmanians than Queenslanders in the AFL these days too I believe, so they aren't going to have a heap of home-grown talent wanting to stay in Tas.

Since "give the license to Tasmania" has been brought up again, does anyone think a Hobart team would have worse player retention problems than GC? Population is only 200k. Flight to Melbourne is only an hour shorter than GC, so it's not like it's any closer in real terms for Melbourne players wanting to nip home for a few days. There's less Tasmanians than Queenslanders in the AFL these days too I believe, so they aren't going to have a heap of home-grown talent wanting to stay in Tas.

f491c5d99445e390a88ad8dcb35c68f2.gif

Seems like Suns have AFL backing so no merger or relocation or folding needed.

If they can develop some positive culture under StewienDew will be good, if can’t then AFL should ask themselves do we want to go forward with 30 years of mediocrity or make an executive decision now.
'AFL backing'.
The AFL havent heard of the Concorde fallacy.
The only reason the AFL are doubling down on the suns is to safe face.
It is illogical. Pure ego at work.

'AFL backing'.
The AFL havent heard of the Concorde fallacy.
The only reason the AFL are doubling down on the suns is to safe face.
Would think a Swans fan would be more understanding.

They said the same thing about your mob and the AFL had less money then, much less.

Unless of course you only followed them after they became successful.

Should do some history lessons.

It's not illogical at all. There are very good reasons why there should be two Queensland based AFL clubs in SE Qld. These have already been outlined.

Would think a Swans fan would be more understanding.

They said the same thing about your mob and the AFL had less money then, much less.

Unless of course you only followed them after they became successful.

Should do some history lessons.

So should you.
United.
Bears
Blaze
Titans

Heard of them?

Comparing the Gold Coast to Sydney in ridiculous. Totally different places. Different geography. Different culture. Different demographics.
The Gold Coast is NOT a 'city'. It is a strip o suburbs along the coast. Calling it a 'city' is a contrivance.

'Built and it and they will come' only works when there are other favourable elements.
Otherwise you get a white elephant.

Maybe do some history lessons yourself champ.

Ill say it again. No amount of 'positive thinking' and 'belief' in the AFL Mgt will change the fact that GC Suns will never work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back