Secondary Thinking about becoming a teacher

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm doing something I never thought I would need to do: Call schools I've applied at for feedback on my application.

It's gotten to a point that in 3 years I have not once received an interview at any of the schools around me or my current school that I have applied for.

I've had a 2 principals look at my application (1 in another state that I know) and one of my current AP's but I need to know what is holding me back and what they want to see from someone of my experience.

I'm near the top of the pay scale so I know that could be holding me back. But I need a new start. Been at my current school for 8 years.

I'm not in the position to take family leave or fixed term deals.

I'm doing something I never thought I would need to do: Call schools I've applied at for feedback on my application.

It's gotten to a point that in 3 years I have not once received an interview at any of the schools around me or my current school that I have applied for.

I've had a 2 principals look at my application (1 in another state that I know) and one of my current AP's but I need to know what is holding me back and what they want to see from someone of my experience.

I'm near the top of the pay scale so I know that could be holding me back. But I need a new start. Been at my current school for 8 years.

Would you hire you? What are your strengths and weaknesses? Are you aware of, and addressing your weaknesses?

With your experience, why haven't you pursued work in leadership? Or have you? Why didn't it work out?

At your expense, are you a significantly better operator than a talented graduate teacher?

You needn't answer those questions on a public forum, but they're questions to think about.

I'd be happy to give you advise / feedback on your application if you want more support. PM me if interested.

Would you hire you? What are your strengths and weaknesses? Are you aware of, and addressing your weaknesses?

With your experience, why haven't you pursued work in leadership? Or have you? Why didn't it work out?

At your expense, are you a significantly better operator than a talented graduate teacher?

You needn't answer those questions on a public forum, but they're questions to think about.

I'd be happy to give you advise / feedback on your application if you want more support. PM me if interested.
Will pm

There are so many grammatical errors and examples of poor phrasing throughout this post that I am not at all surprised. Good luck in your future endeavours.

I have just been appointed 2 weeks of unpaid internal reliefs for 0.2FTE while the school banks the money they get to cover the teacher out. I am seeing what the union has to say. Probably be gutless and say I have lost a Year 11 and Year 12 class even though they require more work throughout the year. Might just babysit for those periods.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have just been appointed 2 weeks of unpaid internal reliefs for 0.2FTE while the school banks the money they get to cover the teacher out. I am seeing what the union has to say. Probably be gutless and say I have lost a Year 11 and Year 12 class even though they require more work throughout the year. Might just babysit for those periods.

From the Victorian Government Schools Agreement:
Unless otherwise agreed at the school in accordance with the consultative provisions of this agreement:
(a) (i) replacement or reorganised classes of equivalent time period, which will not count as an extra, may be assigned to a teacher who loses normal classes for any reason. Such classes may only be assigned within the day normal classes are lost.
(ii) In November and December of each year as classes are dismissed, teachers may be allocated replacement classes up to 80% of their timetabled allotment. Such classes may only be assigned within the week normal classes are lost.

If I'm understanding your post correctly, you're being paid to do exactly what you're being asked to do.

Is there something wrong with expecting that teachers have a basic understanding of grammar?

It wasn't that bad. I didn't even really notice them the first time I read the post. I know I'm a bit more careless posting on Big Footy than I would be writing a resume.

I'm not a teacher, so I guess you could say I live in the real world.

Why hang around in a thread for teachers then? A bit odd.

I mean, judging from your previous posts, you don't have a great deal of respect for the profession or for the amount of work teachers do. As a result, I believe you'll get a shock when you discover through her.

I do think there are a lot of poor teachers out there. But knowing my wife, she won't be one of them. FWIW I hope she earns a lot of money haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back