Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
there's a Qantas deal on now for $1200 return to Sao Paulo, Rio or Lima
Flight dates Mar-Sept 2019
Qantas Premium companion fares are on ATM too and Melbourne to Santiago comes in at just under $4k each in business

I find Qantas/latam to get there can get a good deal just by waiting for their sales.

Not New Zealand to la good, more like qantas to la good.
But over there?

TBH, I’d recommend contacting the airline (has to be either Latam or qantas) and using their (well, one worlds) ‘explore South America pass’ they charge a flat rate + taxes but need a minimum 3 or 4 internal flights and it need some to be booked either in conjunction of your ticket or on top of. Not separately.
It’s hard to find up to date prices though.
But South America might be one of the new places this is best for price rather than just booking them yourself.

I plan on doing this when I go over in early 2020.
Will jump on a qantas sale fare and fly adelaide-Santiago, then get an explore South America pass for the internal
Santiago-buenos Aires-iguazu falls (Argentina)-open leg-iguazu falls (brazil)-Rio de Janeiro-Santiago. Flights.
4 flights, but knowing South America, nearly certain to be cheaper.

Note: the dates must be booked in advance. So I think works for people who have everything planned, and not those winging it.

Qantas Premium companion fares are on ATM too and Melbourne to Santiago comes in at just under $4k each in business
Their sales can get really cheap in regards to business class to South America.

When I did Central America in 2016, I initially paid to go economy via dallas or la.
But as I was giving a lot of loans to my parents for their 2016 white Christmas trip while they were trying to sell their Sydney house. They said if I could find a good business deal, they’ll pay for that once the house was sold.

Found a good one business to Lima, then just a short economy flight up to Cancun from there.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Hainan airlines are doing business class Melbourne to Paris for just over $3k. Flight are via Xi’an so a stopover to visit the Terracotta warriors could be done.
We have used them twice to China before and they were excellent and I’d definitely use them again.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Hainan airlines are doing business class Melbourne to Paris for just over $3k. Flight are via Xi’an so a stopover to visit the Terracotta warriors could be done.
We have used them twice to China before and they were excellent and I’d definitely use them again.
Thats a great deal

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Anyone have any tips for airlines/flights from Melb to South Korea in May? Looking at premium economy or a really cheap business deal
Malaysia Airlines sometimes have sales that have business for around $2500 but I’d think probably around $3k otherwise. PE can be a bit more difficult as most of the airlines don’t run with PE class for their internal Asia flights. China Airlines or Air China for example will do PE for $1300-1500 and you will get PE for the long haul stint but for the 2-3 hour connection you will be in economy. For PE all the way you would need to go Cathay or Singapore and pay around $2k. I haven’t flown any PE so can’t help you on which airline has the better seating. The other option you can consider is to fly business on the longer stint to a hub in Asia and then get a cheap economy flight between there and South Korea which may only be a couple of hours. Can often pick up a business ticket between Australia and Asia for around $2k in business and then tack on the Economy leg for $300-500

Bay Giant

All Australian
Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Flying business class Emirates to London in December.

Any tips from anyone here that’s done it?

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets

Tip: you're in business class and will be fine.

Haha, just try and plan your body clock around the London time as soon as feasible on the flight. That's a good airline and good class, your flight and airport experience should/will be comfortable.

Bay Giant

All Australian
Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Yeh, don’t be a douche. We get it, well done you’re in business class. No one cares
Actually I’m being somewhat genuine. Looking at the seat guides for Emirates A380’s, the seat width is only 0.5 inches wider in business than economy.

I’m 6’3” and was sort of hoping someone could tell me I’ll be able to genuinely lie flat and have a nice enough experience or if I’ve screed the pooch and should’ve gone with Qantas or Singapore.

Double check your inclusions
I read Emirates has a discount business which doesn’t include the cheffeaure drive transfers and lounge access.

Personally I havnt travelled business with emirates, (only flown with Qatar, qantas and LATAM) but I have used points to go first.
The lounge is shared at the back of the a380. Probably go there for your drinks.
The business cabin is nearly the length of the upper deck. And Emirates don’t do food on demand in business (only first) Still services like economy. So perhaps take a snack for the aus-dxb leg just in case you get hungry between services.

Last edited:
Yeh, don’t be a douche. We get it, well done you’re in business class. No one cares
Lol, then you’re a douche in response.

Could’ve just ignored his post if this was all you’d contribute.

Bay Giant

All Australian
Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Double check your inclusions
I read Emirates has a discount business which doesn’t include the cheffeaure drive transfers and lounge access.

Personally I havnt travelled business with emirates, (only flown with Qatar, qantas and LATAM) but I have used points to go first.
The lounge is shared at the back of the a380. Probably go there for your drinks.
The business cabin is nearly the length of the upper deck. And Emirates don’t do food on demand in business (only first) Still services like economy. So perhaps take a snack for the aus-dxb leg just in case you get hungry between services.
Thanks for the heads-up mate.

We booked the fare under a Qantas codeshare even though it was $200 more expensive than the Emirates fare do we did ourselves out of the limo - not smart!!

How would I know if we booked the discount fare? We dropped $7,500 each return so if that doesn’t include lounge access I’ll be a bit flat!!

Heading to Brazil next year - Latam is pretty good, yeah?

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

Have done this trip multiple times with Emirates in both first and business. Hopefully you are on the A380 for all legs especially the Australia to DXB legs.
I always choose the mini cabin at the rear of the aircraft as it’s much more personal and quieter despite being closer to the bar and toilets. The foot traffic isn’t that bad on most flights I’ve been on. Definitely enjoy the onboard bar for awhile as you will often meet some fantastic people and staff are friendly and will have a chat. Seats are comfortable and you will get plenty of sleep. Emirates food isn’t the fanciest but you know what you will get and ive never had a bad meal with them. If you have any dietary requirements or preferences you can pre book your meals online beforehand. You haven’t mentioned your departure city or if you are doing a stop over but definitely make use of the chauffeur drive as much as you can (there are even some loopholes that let you get an extra ride included). You will have lounge access and most of their lounges are of a very similar quality and are a nice place to spend a few hours. The cheaper Business class that is mentioned above is only available if booked direct through Emirates. As you have booked through QF you are entitled to the full service. Happy to help if any other questions but enjoy, they are a good airline and they will look after you well

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Actually I’m being somewhat genuine. Looking at the seat guides for Emirates A380’s, the seat width is only 0.5 inches wider in business than economy.

I’m 6’3” and was sort of hoping someone could tell me I’ll be able to genuinely lie flat and have a nice enough experience or if I’ve screed the pooch and should’ve gone with Qantas or Singapore.
You have made a decent decision. Singapore Airlines are great but depending which aircraft you get. The A350 has horrid seating and at your height the footwell would be uncomfortable IMO. Qantas is just pretty average all round but the A380’s are currently being refurbished which will hopefully make them more enjoyable.

Thanks for the heads-up mate.

We booked the fare under a Qantas codeshare even though it was $200 more expensive than the Emirates fare do we did ourselves out of the limo - not smart!!

How would I know if we booked the discount fare? We dropped $7,500 each return so if that doesn’t include lounge access I’ll be a bit flat!!

Heading to Brazil next year - Latam is pretty good, yeah?
At that price you should almost certainly have everything included.
Im pretty sure their restricted business taking away those perks was marginally cheaper than Qatar Airways' fare. (So about 5-5.5k Europe)

Depends what you like with Latam
Im 6'5 1/2'' and I preferred their seat over Qantas and Qatar business classes (The foot rest on the qantas seat made it too short or was hard when folded away and you could feel it through their matress. While the Qatar 'pod' I found claustrophic and hard to sleep on. But for people shorter than me and aren't so heavily focused on the seat, Qatar shits all over it. )
Depends when you go too. Im heading over in February next year for Antarctic cruise + Iguassu Falls + Rio Carnivale and we're going Latam. At that time Qantas is still flying the 747, but I believe soon after (April I believe?) They're changing to the 787. My mum flew that from Melbourne-Los Angeles last year (then the 747 Los Angeles-Brisbane on the way back) and loved it (especially compared to the 747)

Qantas fares to South America in Business have always been really good too (matched with Latam just about), however, with the smaller capacity on the 787 its certainly feasible they up the price (maybe even substantially like they did with Melbourne-London via Perth on the 787) if they up it. Id recommend Latam in a heartbeat (or if youre not as focused on frequent flyer status as I am, New Zealand wouldn't be the worst option) but if Qantas prices stay the same with the new plane, that might be just as good or better.

You have made a decent decision. Singapore Airlines are great but depending which aircraft you get. The A350 has horrid seating and at your height the footwell would be uncomfortable IMO. Qantas is just pretty average all round but the A380’s are currently being refurbished which will hopefully make them more enjoyable.
Do you know when the refurbishment will be done?
I need 73,000 points to be able to go Sydney-Dallas return in first class.
And would love to do it in a refurbished plane rather than the current 10 year old setup

Not that Id really care. Its for the experience.
Looing at late September/early October 2021
Surely all their planes will be done by then. Surely.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Do you know when the refurbishment will be done?
I need 73,000 points to be able to go Sydney-Dallas return in first class.
And would love to do it in a refurbished plane rather than the current 10 year old setup

Not that Id really care. Its for the experience.
Looing at late September/early October 2021
Surely all their planes will be done by then. Surely.
First bird is due to be completed at the end of September this year with another 3 hopefully by Christmas. The other 8 should all be done by Christmas next year as it takes about a month each but can be a little longer if the C checks take time. First class won’t be much change at all, bigger and better IFE screen and new seat padding but the suite size and structure will remain the same. A few modern upgrades to looks of the First class area aswell. Business class is receiving the biggest overhaul and the droopy skyseats will finally be gone and replaced by the same suites as on the 787

Bay Giant

All Australian
Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Have done this trip multiple times with Emirates in both first and business. Hopefully you are on the A380 for all legs especially the Australia to DXB legs.
I always choose the mini cabin at the rear of the aircraft as it’s much more personal and quieter despite being closer to the bar and toilets. The foot traffic isn’t that bad on most flights I’ve been on. Definitely enjoy the onboard bar for awhile as you will often meet some fantastic people and staff are friendly and will have a chat. Seats are comfortable and you will get plenty of sleep. Emirates food isn’t the fanciest but you know what you will get and ive never had a bad meal with them. If you have any dietary requirements or preferences you can pre book your meals online beforehand. You haven’t mentioned your departure city or if you are doing a stop over but definitely make use of the chauffeur drive as much as you can (there are even some loopholes that let you get an extra ride included). You will have lounge access and most of their lounges are of a very similar quality and are a nice place to spend a few hours. The cheaper Business class that is mentioned above is only available if booked direct through Emirates. As you have booked through QF you are entitled to the full service. Happy to help if any other questions but enjoy, they are a good airline and they will look after you well
Awesome mate, thank you for that. I think we are on the A380 for all legs and all but one will be in the mini cabin.

that moment I get reminded of QANTAS' Frequent flyer changes starting next week I think it was.
Guess I can wait a little longer

Anybody know how best to contact QANTAS about an around the world classic reward airfare?
I read that it's a base amount of points for x miles and up to 12 stops. But Ive never seen classic reward around the world before.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
that moment I get reminded of QANTAS' Frequent flyer changes starting next week I think it was.
Guess I can wait a little longer

Anybody know how best to contact QANTAS about an around the world classic reward airfare?
I read that it's a base amount of points for x miles and up to 12 stops. But Ive never seen classic reward around the world before.
The One World Classic Award (OWA) has no requirement to fly RTW.
The main conditions are
-35k miles (surface sectors count)
- Up to 16 segments
- Up to 5 stop overs
- 1 stop over per city and can transit city twice
- Must use at least 2 other OW carriers apart from Qantas.
There are also a few other little rules and quirks and it does require a bit of work.
Current cost in points is
Economy 140k
Business 280k
First 420k
These will change shortly to 132/318/455.
You have 12 months to complete travel so you can break it up into a couple of trips if it suits. I’m currently in the process of booking a first class trip for both of us in May next year that will look something like
SYD-DOH-CDG (Qatar)
CDG-HND (JAL)
NRT-JFX (JAL)
JFK-LAX (AA)
LAX-SYD (Qantas)
Fees and taxes will still be quite high and struggling for some availability so will have to tinker around or perhaps try Business.

Back