Cultural review of Australian cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

You really need to question how a boofhead like Amarfio got the job in the first place, let alone survived for 6 years. It's amazing what's rising to the surface all because someone scraped a cricket ball with sandpaper. I'm starting to think there is a lot more to come yet. This is what happens when administration is unaccountable ...... AFL beware.

Ball tampering may end up being the best thing to happen to Australian cricket.
Hope you're right. World Series Cricket did massive damage to the game for a year or two but ended up being a hugely positive influence. This could be the same.

Its not a perception it is fact - after all Sri Lanka got done for ball tampering not 3 months ago for minimal penalties.
That's because ICC, at the dictate of national boards, are so pathetic. A year for deliberate, premeditated, cheating is fair enough. Even on the low side if compared to something like drug cheats; where (except for Warne) the bans are twice as long even if the player didn't know.
The bans are about right, and what should be applied in every other case.

I cannot believe how one event that blew up basically led to the overthrowing of the whole CA board. Great job boys /s
A large chunk of the CA board needed to go anyway. Putting the revenue ahead of the sport, and the damage to player quality are on their collective heads. Along with the culture which incrementally led to this being able to happen.

And Pat Howard leaving early means we might only take another 14 years to undo the damage of "player development" instead of 15.
If the position of high performance manager can be turned into something useful, Belinda Clark might be the person to do it.

Seems to be a real problem with this sport now, too many pencildicks are in charge who just see it as 'product' to fill their pockets. They've forgotten people go to grounds to watch players play the game, not observe pinpricks stamp forms, answer emails and rush contracts down the corridor, these nut nibblers making more money than players is ludicrous.

Could not agree more with this

“Look at it from the player’s perspective — he’s going to come out there thinking ‘well, what to do I do? Do I play for myself here?’” Hussey told News Corp’s Cricket Unfiltered Podcast.

“‘Because I don’t know if I’m going to get a game next time … or do I play for the team?’

“‘And what role is required for the team now might mean just teeing off and giving your wicket away’.

“But unfortunately it brings in a bit more of a selfish culture and environment because you’re just worried about your place in the team.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...m/news-story/1b28927bbd94a4f427affd64b617f3f9

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Mike Hussey reckons we are using too many players, and creating uncertainty for the players?

We have used 25 players in the last 12 months in our ODI team. (That includes 2 suspensions - Smith and Warner, Bancroft has not yet played an ODI).
So I thought I would check out a time when we were going really well. What about 2014? Pretty important year - leading up to a World Cup. Definitely need to get players in the right, unselfish frame of mind We made it to that World cup in great form - heavy favorites, and won pretty well.

In 2014, we used 27 players in our ODI team. Didn't seem to hurt us when it mattered.

I think it is more a reflection of his career. When he was out of form he was desperate to stay in the side.
Taylor was the same. Problem is that it puts more pressure on other players.
We went pretty well with a stable team even with a few players out of form at times.

Over time the stability has disappeared. In part because of the crowded fixturing/rotation but it also seems that we don't have a clear idea of our best XI in each format so keep searching and changing

Well just for fun, marcus stonis has played the most ODI games for australia in the last 12 months. As a batting all-rounder, he's averaged 29 with the bat and 36 with the bowl...although 14 days ago he was averaging 71 with the ball in that period. Travis Head has played the second most games...and averages 28 with the bat. so like, what are the selectors supposed to do? reward mediocrity or chop and change? I don't see anything remotely useful or interesting in Hussey's comments, it's basically just longing for another era (which sadly is what most of this has been, in place of actual solutions to problems)

I always considered Hopes to be a bowling one, as he was mostly at 7, and with the keeper deservedly batting in the top 6 it didn't really matter that Hopes was at 7, wheras Stoinis has been in the top 6 for all but 4 of his innings, albeit thrown around in the order a bit. (of course the innings keeping him in the team did come at 7)

I always considered Hopes to be a bowling one, as he was mostly at 7, and with the keeper deservedly batting in the top 6 it didn't really matter that Hopes was at 7, wheras Stoinis has been in the top 6 for all but 4 of his innings, albeit thrown around in the order a bit. (of course the innings keeping him in the team did come at 7)

Oh, me too, and Stonis' overall record shows that. But those numbers you threw out are very similar to Hopes'.

aren't they kind of feeling sorry for themselves a bit... I mean get smitty and the warnemeister back in action but
the lads are a bit gun shy..

Finchy and Stoinis and that dude well that dude.. who could it be? ... could just wipe the floor with the opportunity if they really
thought about it..

Warne is right, they need to buckle up and jump in.. get on it.. being a bit cute is too cute for everyone..

I like to remind all youse Lovers of these NSW w***ers
Smith and Warner as Captain and Vice Captain of Australia CHEATED
Bloody embarrassing and humiliating to us outside of NSW.
i understand they got 1 test suspension from ICB for ball tampering
and 12 months for bringing the game into disrepute
If they had been from another state , they would never play for Aussie again

Bancroft is from another state and will probably play again at some point.

What a silly melt.

Can we keep the NSW conspiracy theories to a minimum please mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back