No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was curious, so put together a random attempt at a GC best 22.

FB: Collins - Hombsch - Joyce
HB: Harbrow - Thompson - Bowes
C: Weller - Brodie - Hanley
HF: Sexton - Day - Martin
FF: Corbett - Wright - Ainsworth
R: Witts - Swallow - Miller
I: Young - Fiorini - Horlin-Smith/Miles - MacPherson/Holman

Depth: Crossley, Burgess, Miles/GHS, Holman/MacPherson, Ah Chee, C. Ellis, Lemmens, Powell, Rischitelli, Ballard, Heron, Dawson

+ likely Lukosius, Rozee, Caldwell/King/Smith, then two second rounders

Don't get me wrong. It's bad. It's pretty awful, really. But I think maybe it's been overplayed (including by myself) just how horrendous it really is. I can see some similarities to the state we were in post-2014, where a lot rested on the young guys that we hadn't seen much of as yet. Could go either way, of course, but I think there are still good pieces in place. If the young guys can take a step forward and Dew is as good a coach as his reputation suggests, I think they could surprise a few.

Day and Thompson will need to step up.

Was curious, so put together a random attempt at a GC best 22.

FB: Collins - Hombsch - Joyce
HB: Harbrow - Thompson - Bowes
C: Weller - Brodie - Hanley
HF: Sexton - Day - Martin
FF: Corbett - Wright - Ainsworth
R: Witts - Swallow - Miller
I: Young - Fiorini - Horlin-Smith/Miles - MacPherson/Holman

Depth: Crossley, Burgess, Miles/GHS, Holman/MacPherson, Ah Chee, C. Ellis, Lemmens, Powell, Rischitelli, Ballard, Heron, Dawson

+ likely Lukosius, Rozee, Caldwell/King/Smith, then two second rounders

Don't get me wrong. It's bad. It's pretty awful, really. But I think maybe it's been overplayed (including by myself) just how horrendous it really is. I can see some similarities to the state we were in post-2014, where a lot rested on the young guys that we hadn't seen much of as yet. Could go either way, of course, but I think there are still good pieces in place. If the young guys can take a step forward and Dew is as good a coach as his reputation suggests, I think they could surprise a few.

They don’t have senior players remotely close to Murphy, Morris, Boyd, Picken and Wood though.

They don’t have senior players remotely close to Murphy, Morris, Boyd, Picken and Wood though.
Fair comment. A lot rests on the likes of Harbrow, Thompson, Swallow, Hanley, Day and such to stand up and take their games and leadership to another level if the team is going to develop like it could.

Fair comment. A lot rests on the likes of Harbrow, Thompson, Swallow, Hanley, Day and such to stand up and take their games and leadership to another level if the team is going to develop like it could.

Not sure about Dew either he may be in the Neeld/Macca category of being good assistant coaches at successful clubs but not able to step up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Has anyone written an analysis of the different strategies taken by GC and GWS since their inception? I reckon it would make good reading, especially with a bit of inside knowledge of each club. The role of the AFL at the respective clubs (i.e. the extent of leg-ups received) would also be a good case study.

Bottom line: GWS have been relatively successful (despite no flag yet) while GC have yet to play even one finals game. Or even get close. Remember that GC started a year before GWS.​

My view is that from a strategic business perspective the AFL needs GWS to succeed a lot more than it needs GC to succeed. I'm not saying that's the sole factor - maybe not even the main factor - but it's a persistent undercurrent.

I can't see the AFL terminating the GC licence any time soon. In fact if things don't improve in the next few years I can see them going the other way and providing some substantial special assistance (handouts, concessions) to the Suns in order to make them competitive and hence more attractive to players, fans, sponsors and networks. A perpetual lame duck club is bad for the competition and - more importantly for the AFL - it's bad for business.

The fact that that is the there senior core says it all about where they stand, given Hanley and Thompson are injured every year, Day is complete s**t and Swallow is likely to follow others out the door. If they win more than 2-3 games next year it will be a great season for them, i have never seen a worse best 22 put up for an AFL team., they are in a seriously bad spot.

The fact that that is the there senior core says it all about where they stand, given Hanley and Thompson are injured every year, Day is complete s**t and Swallow is likely to follow others out the door. If they win more than 2-3 games next year it will be a great season for them, i have never seen a worse best 22 put up for an AFL team., they are in a seriously bad spot.

Taking Dannnnnnn's lineup as it stands on paper, if they were competitive in more than 2-3 games next year that would be a win, IMHO. I get that there is some potential and scope there, but really that team also has serious potential to be absolutely smashed consistently, and as that snowballs, constant hammerings will impact their confidence, and the results will become self-perpetuating. It really would not surprise me to see GC stone, motherless last at the end of 2019, with a horrendous percentage. Which of those players can actually provide on-field leadership, and with their own performance carry their team-mates along? Even Carlton have Cripps and Curnow, and now some experience with McGovern and Fasolo. Who do GC have to give their team-mates and supporters some spark?

It's time the whole delisting and redrafting issue gets looked at. 99% of the time it's to relieve Salary cap issues which to me shouldn't be relieved by delisting a player just to re-list or re-rookie him. Bad salary cap management should be punished and to me simply redrafting players who were axed by the same club isn't punishing the club. Plus what message does it send potential draftees that they aren't going to be looked at because a player that in reality isn't good enough is being drafted over you because we stuffed up a contract and can't fit other overpriced players in?

I feel that clubs should be restricted (because outright banning would be overly restrictive) to being able to only delist and redraft 1 player per season.

It's time the whole delisting and redrafting issue gets looked at. 99% of the time it's to relieve Salary cap issues which to me shouldn't be relieved by delisting a player just to re-list or re-rookie him. Bad salary cap management should be punished and to me simply redrafting players who were axed by the same club isn't punishing the club. Plus what message does it send potential draftees that they aren't going to be looked at because a player that in reality isn't good enough is being drafted over you because we stuffed up a contract and can't fit other overpriced players in?

I feel that clubs should be restricted (because outright banning would be overly restrictive) to being able to only delist and redraft 1 player per season.
I'd say it's 99% of the time due to minimum list change rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won't be for another 5 years....

Contracts mean jack to players now, lets see about that when Gold Coast win 2-3 games over next 2 years and he realises he is 28 and has no hope of playing in a single final in his career.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/co...rged-over-car-crashes-in-perth-ng-b881017927z

Sad to see Chris Yarran go down this route. Had the world at his feet but it quickly fell apart. Not sure if its a coincidence or not why a lot of these more serious drug related problems with AFL players seem to be happening out of Perth - ie Cousins, Mainwaring, Kerr, Dayle Gartlett, Fletcher, Bennell, plus Yarran's own cousin Shane etc. Not to say its not happening elsewhere.

From the outside looking in it seems as though this is a serious problem that the AFL needs to further address. They've clearly done some work on it in recent years but it doesn't appear enough. It is perhaps a similar representation of what you see in normal society but that doesn't make it ok.

Contracts mean jack to players now, lets see about that when Gold Coast win 2-3 games over next 2 years and he realises he is 28 and has no hope of playing in a single final in his career.

Agree to an extent, I mean if they weren't going to be in the comp in the next 2-3 years they wouldn't have signed anyone for 5 years

I thought it'd be interesting to look back at GC's list when they were first starting out, just to see if they had identified the right talent.

This is from their 2013 list, so third season. Every one of these players was on an AFL list in 2018.
FB Harbrow, May, ????
HB Hall, Thompson, ????
C Bennell, Prestia, O'Meara
CHF Matera, Dixon, Martin
FF Day, Lynch, M.Weller
R Smith, Ablett, Swallow
INT Rischitelli, ????, ????

I don't actually think that is terrible. Lynch/Dixon/Thompson/May would be one of the better spines going around. Smith as a ruck isn't ideal though. Ablett, Swallow, Prestia, Martin and O'Meara is a bit of a B+ grade midfield, but it would be a decent start. If they had have kept this core, and added a decent player every year through the draft, they'd be killing it.

This is from their 2013 list, so third season. Every one of these players was on an AFL list in 2018.
FB Harbrow, May, ????
HB Hall, Thompson, ????
C Bennell, Prestia, O'Meara
CHF Matera, Dixon, Martin
FF Day, Lynch, M.Weller
R Smith, Ablett, Swallow
INT Rischitelli, ????, ????

The blanks would have been Trent McKenzie off HB (not sure of his status with Port), Matt Shaw in the back pocket (recently delisted by Carlton), Danny Stanley off the bench and probably Campbell Brown and Jared Brennan off the bench ahead of K.Hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back