Rumour Best football related rumour you have heard from someone you trust

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s heaps of stories about Melbourne from that period. Like the one where the players cancelled a training session because they didn’t feel like it.
I think there was a story about Melbourne Storm players seeing Demons players having beers in a spa at the facilities they shared. Didn’t impress the highly professional Storm boys.

Jake Stringer frequently used staff members to pop over to the TAB around the corner in Footscray when at training, giving them cash to place his bets all throughout the week. Would then often leave training and go straight down to the TAB himself at the end of the day.

Peter Bell use to pop into the local TAB in Broadway, one day i asked how he was going? Just looked at me and said 'all winners buddy' and proceeded to cash out a stack of tickets!
What a legend

On the topic of big name criminal father sons, Brenden Abbott – the Postcard Bandit – had a nephew, Brenden Abbott, who was on Collingwood's list for a year in about 2014.

Brenden was a nice guy and a natural sportsman. While playing state footy for WA, he got a call from his mum back home, packed his bags and left immediately without telling anyone. He didn't get drafted that year with all clubs thinking he was some unreliable flighty kid. They found out he was caring for his mum who was really really sick at the time. Pies picked him up straight from country footy and after kicking about seven goals in the VFL and being told he was close to debuting, he left again to look after his mum, without telling anyone at Collingwood FC. Career done, but in a pretty noble way.

I watched Abbott play for Claremont in Colts and he was a beast, he was at FB and Barass was at CHB. Although Barass looked like a potential AFL player, Abbott looked a much better player.

And one last one, positive for a change. After one of the Crows flags, at the after match celebration with supporters, a 20-21 year old Ben Hart took it upon himself to grab the mic and tell everyone in the crowd who was drinking to put away their car keys, because the team would be shattered to hear the next day if anyone from the function hadn't got home safely.

What a seriously great thing to do/say by Ben. It shouldn't be that hard - have a drink, don't drive = no DUI or worse but how awesome that a 21 ish year old still 'got' the big picture - well done!

There’s the story about Ablett snr that Brownless tells. Sorry if you’ve all heard this.
So Ablett and other players went to a junior footy clinic. Ablett has received a wad of cash from sponsor or manger (can’t remember who really) in the morning. Anyway at the clinic a young kid running around has a shoe with the sole coming off and flaps around during the clinic. At the end of the clinic Ablett goes over to this kid and pulls out a wad of cash with the rubber band around it. Proceeds to take the rubber band off the cash. Bends down and places the rubber band on the kids shoe to hold the sole on. Everyone thought he was going to give the kid some $ for new shoes!

There’s the story about Ablett snr that Brownless tells. Sorry if you’ve all heard this.
So Ablett and other players went to a junior footy clinic. Ablett has received a wad of cash from sponsor or manger (can’t remember who really) in the morning. Anyway at the clinic a young kid running around has a shoe with the sole coming off and flaps around during the clinic. At the end of the clinic Ablett goes over to this kid and pulls out a wad of cash with the rubber band around it. Proceeds to take the rubber band off the cash. Bends down and places the rubber band on the kids shoe to hold the sole on. Everyone thought he was going to give the kid some $ for new shoes!
This guy really is a piece of *in s**t. No wonder his son is so queer. And his sister's just about done.

I remember a similar-ish story where Hamish Hartlett was driving through Adelaide and peeked a retro 90s Power cap in the back of the next car. He tailed the guy and then got him to pull over. Out steps an old codger, about 75, and he's pretty chuffed to see old Hame. Hartlett says he wants the cap, how cool it is, and the old bloke goes 'my old best mate used to wear that to every game, it's the one thing I have of his, he died a few years ago.' The old bloke offers him the cap and Harlett takes it. He wore it to a presser and told this story and everyone thought it was soooo cool but all I could think of was 'wtf he took a nice memento from someone for himself?' Flog.

I watched Abbott play for Claremont in Colts and he was a beast, he was at FB and Barass was at CHB. Although Barass looked like a potential AFL player, Abbott looked a much better player.
I actually just saw Brenden signed for West Perth. He's been out of footy for years so it shows he's capable of still getting in anywhere. He's not especially tall but he's built really naturally strong, absolute perfect half-back or half-forward candidate, he's got a real bull build and runs with his back down and through blokes but has beautiful skills and a nice soft mark on him. He could genuinely play anywhere. I hope he makes it again, he's a nice bloke.

Heard when Robert Campbell came across to the Dees in about 2009/10, he couldn’t believe the lack of work ethic particularly with some players doing as little as they like in the gym. Of course he’d come from the Hawks who would have had much higher standards of training.
Things are different at the Dees these days though.

Edit - Yes not a juicy rumour.

Yep, Jordan Gysberts nearly died in his first week of pre season at North. His career subsequently did.

On the topic of big name criminal father sons, Brenden Abbott – the Postcard Bandit – had a nephew, Brenden Abbott, who was on Collingwood's list for a year in about 2014.

Brenden was a nice guy and a natural sportsman. While playing state footy for WA, he got a call from his mum back home, packed his bags and left immediately without telling anyone. He didn't get drafted that year with all clubs thinking he was some unreliable flighty kid. They found out he was caring for his mum who was really really sick at the time. Pies picked him up straight from country footy and after kicking about seven goals in the VFL and being told he was close to debuting, he left again to look after his mum, without telling anyone at Collingwood FC. Career done, but in a pretty noble way.

Noted North supporter Brenden Abbot. Used to go to North games in Melbourne when on the run.

I was speaking with two journalists who were intimately involved in the Essendon drug stuff, and they told me that the lawyers wouldn't let them print a story showing how Hird and Evans were planning to get rich (richer in Evans case) off marketing the stuff the players were given.

I trust one of them implicitly.

He was a cult figure at his short time with us. Wish it could have worked out for him. He could have been a very handy player for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was speaking with two journalists who were intimately involved in the Essendon drug stuff, and they told me that the lawyers wouldn't let them print a story showing how Hird and Evans were planning to get rich (richer in Evans case) off marketing the stuff the players were given.

Are you quoting yourself as a source again?

By speaking to journalists you mean referencing your own Twitter feed yeah?

By speaking to journalists you mean referencing your own Twitter feed yeah?

You can't even remember what happened then can you?

Good to see five years after the event you come running as soon as I blow the whistle.

Lance Uppercut - do you reckon they'll ever get over me?

You can't even remember what happened then can you?

Good to see five years after the event you come running as soon as I blow the whistle.

Lance Uppercut - do you reckon they'll ever get over me?

By come running you mean remind everyone that you tried to pass yourself off as your own source and got found out?

Yeah, yeah I come running alright... :D

A former Geelong player who's now running around for another club hit on my then GF via Twitter DMs despite her telling him that she had a BF. We broke up shortly thereafter, I suspect that may have been part of it.
CWyHtJIU8AARRhZ.jpg

Byrnes started in 2013 I think. Neeld was coach at that time. From all reports that is when we started flogging players on the track. I recall numerous players on social media posting things about how hard training was at that stage.

Have heard from a former player who was there when Neeld was in charge that Jack Trengove's navicular injury was due to Neeld making him run a stupid amount on top of the overtraining the players were doing in that area because his skinfolds were up. This was despite Jack being one of the best runners at the club.

Have heard from a former player who was there when Neeld was in charge that Jack Trengove's navicular injury was due to Neeld making him run a stupid amount on top of the overtraining the players were doing in that area because his skinfolds were up. This was despite Jack being one of the best runners at the club.
The club was a real mess at the time. Very fortunate to get Jackson and Roos on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back