2018 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The reality of that little perler is the Norf academy coupled with the AFLW North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos (otherwise know as the NMTK) is somehow supposed to convince Tasmanians to accept being shut out of having a true AFL/AFLW presence.
On one hand (with the girls) you can say it is a great opportunity with an aim of 50% Tassie representation. But in reality a split list (50% vic 50%tas) just wont work. So Tas will get shafted.

The other issue is at jnr league level the girls are a long way behind other states. There are a few 15s who played 17s thst are ok and a couple of 13s who played 15s who are ahead of them, but there is a big gulf after those top players. Those younger kids need to go into an elite program now, but the North Academy only really starts at under18 level and the better kids precluded from their under 16 (limited) program because they are too young. Miles behind what the Lions do.

Anyone will be in Melbourne on the 2 nights of the Draft and have some spare cash?

http://m.lions.com.au/news/2018-11-07/be-part-of-draft-night

Get to sit with recruiters on Thursday night during the first part of the Draft, and dinner with them the next evening to talk all things draft related. Sounds like will be great to attend.

Locked and loaded for both nights after World Cup during the day. Will be a a cracking couple of days. Can’t wait

Make sure you give it to them on the night D12, don't hold back.
I’m pretty ambivalent re draft time because generally I have NFI other than liking certain players based off nothing other than what you hear i.e. Walsh (no chance), McLennan ??? (who said he’d have no problems playing in Qld) or Berry (again no idea, just like the romance of it), but it’s pretty exciting bringing in the next batch and hearing why we did so.

Just watched the "Tomorrow's Heroes" on Liam Stocker big big fan after watching that. Speaks very well, averaged 22 possies in TAC as a contested ball player. Would love to see him come in and add to the likes of Neale, Lyon, Berry, Mathieson, Robinson as the inside mids. Think we are covered with outside run, McCluggage, Cutler, Cameron, Rich (More an elite kick on outside), Bailey.

Just watched the "Tomorrow's Heroes" on Liam Stocker big big fan after watching that. Speaks very well, averaged 22 possies in TAC as a contested ball player. Would love to see him come in and add to the likes of Neale, Lyon, Berry, Mathieson, Robinson as the inside mids. Think we are covered with outside run, McCluggage, Cutler, Cameron, Rich (More an elite kick on outside), Bailey.
I believe we’re more covered with inside mids now, but shallower on outside run from genuine midfielders.

We’ve got Cutler and Taylor as our proven outside mids, with Allison in the ressies.

Otherwise the other players offering outside run really perform better in a different role, ie Cameron as a small forward or McCluggage in that link role.

I’ve said it befor, I believe our first pick falls right in that zone where we’re either reliant on one of the second tier mids falling to our pick, or we’re possibly selecting a player who offers genuine skills in a position that we might not be a top priority, ie Jez McLennan, Sam Sturt or Zac Butters.

Yep, IMO we need run and carry out of the back half and another high pressure small forward (hopefully Lincoln can fill that role) to help Charlie out.

Maybe Zac Bailey can be the run and carry out of the back, he showed some good glimpses doing that late this season.

I do like Liam Stocker though but I think he'll be gone before our 1st anyway.

We will take 5 live selections into the draft- 18, 30, 35, 56, 78.
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2018-11-09/two-list-changes

The Brisbane Lions have made two further changes to their list ahead of the second list lodgement deadline with the removal of Ryan Bastinac and Jacob Allison from their primary list.

“These changes will create more spots for us at the draft and maximise our selections as part of our overall list strategy, whilst being aware of the first year of live trading on draft night.”

We will take 5 live selections into the draft- 18, 30, 35, 56, 78.
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2018-11-09/two-list-changes

The Brisbane Lions have made two further changes to their list ahead of the second list lodgement deadline with the removal of Ryan Bastinac and Jacob Allison from their primary list.

“These changes will create more spots for us at the draft and maximise our selections as part of our overall list strategy, whilst being aware of the first year of live trading on draft night.”
Whoa, me thinks that we will try and trade in another pick on the night using one of the 2019 2nd round picks or even Collingwood's first (sorry death-riders). Keeps saying its a strong draft so will be interesting to see on the 2 days what happens.

Seems the rookie list is becoming a supplementary list.

I’m assuming Allison will be picked up as a DFA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Figured Bastinac would be, little surprised at Allison, but can see him getting some senior shots.

I don't think Allison's output in any way represents how he's viewed with many on here. Great tools, but doesn't put it together like he should be and hasn't really developed his game much since his U17 year.

Whoa, me thinks that we will try and trade in another pick on the night using one of the 2019 2nd round picks or even Collingwood's first (sorry death-riders). Keeps saying its a strong draft so will be interesting to see on the 2 days what happens.
Agree, I think Noble/Ambrogio will be very keen to move our first selection up the draft order, how that's done I'll leave to them. IIRC picks can be traded up until around a week before the draft.

I don't think Allison's output in any way represents how he's viewed with many on here. Great tools, but doesn't put it together like he should be and hasn't really developed his game much since his U17 year.

Eh, probably in the same vein as Keays, has something there but probably would have made more of a fist of it if he came into our 2012 side.

But who knows, wait and see.

That was my first thought. Another team might try and sign Allison as delisted free agent, or in the draft with a late draft pick.

Doesn't seem to happen often if at all when the team has declared they're committed to re-drafting the player. Though there were those rumours that Allison was considering to going to Geelong or something on the trade board so maybe he and the club are open to it.

Doesn't seem to happen often if at all when the team has declared they're committed to re-drafting the player. Though there were those rumours that Allison was considering to going to Geelong or something on the trade board so maybe he and the club are open to it.

Happened with Banfield not that it hurt us.

Making two spots is interesting. Feels like there might be a specific reason for it - leaving room for Coleman with a late bid maybe? Or upgrading McInerney?
Coleman was my first thought.

That was negotiated, as Richmond discussed it with us before taking him.

So it does happen but not too often. I assume it's the same case that if we're willing to put him in that position we're not going to lose sleep in the event another club does take him before the rookie draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back