List Mgmt. Draft 2018: Lions 1st (5), Power 1st (10), Hawks 1st (15)

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Martin spend a fair portion of his game up forward?

Also, Martin is 187 cm. Rankine is 175 cm. Martin's lack of endurance could be excused because he had the height.

I'm not gonna cry if we select Rankine, cause we need a player to replace Robbie Gray anyways...but it really means we've decided that we're not winning a flag with guys like Boak and Gray.
I agree, I just think we've already decided that by allowing Wingard and Polec to go. If we were all in with this list we'd have paid Polec and kept Wingard.

I agree, I just think we've already decided that by allowing Wingard and Polec to go. If we were all in with this list we'd have paid Polec and kept Wingard.

See, that's where we differ. I think we traded them out specifically because we want players who are committed to winning a flag in the next two years, because those guys (and Westhoff) deserve it. Both Polec and Wingard decided that money and/or maintaining their existing lifestyle habits was more important than that.

People thinking Smith and Rankine are roughly equivalent talents are sadly mistaken. Smith played only 2 TAC cup games and 4 U18 National games- 6 games of decent level footy and has gone from late first rounder to better than Rankine? Give me a break.

In the only two games he played all year against first class opposition (against SA and Vic Country), there’s a good case he was badly exposed. He got 14 possessions v Vic Country while Walsh got 29 in the losing Vic Country team. He was excellent with the ball but you have to wonder about his defensive game. He was ineffective against SA- beaten by Valente. Name a game he clearly got the better of decent (likely to go in the first round opposition).

Rankine’s CV is far better. And when Rankine was finished making Vic Metro look like witches hats, he went back and played well against men. He didn’t only beat up on school kids like Smith.

People thinking Smith and Rankine are roughly equivalent talents are sadly mistaken. Smith played only 2 TAC cup games and 4 U18 National games- 6 games of decent level footy and has gone from late first rounder to better than Rankine? Give me a break.

In the only two games he played all year against first class opposition (against SA and Vic Country), there’s a good case he was badly exposed. He got 14 possessions v Vic Country while Walsh got 29 in the losing Vic Country team. He was excellent with the ball but you have to wonder about his defensive game. He was ineffective against SA- beaten by Valente. Name a game he clearly got the better of decent (likely to go in the first round opposition).

Rankine’s CV is far better. And when Rankine was finished making Vic Metro look like witches hats, he went back and played well against men. He didn’t only beat up on school kids like Smith.
Where did Smith play the rest of the year? Or was he injured? He was in Champion Data's Top 25 draft prospect for 2018 but wasn't mentioned as a top 10 prospect in their short analysis of 2018 draft in their 2018 AFL Prospectus book.

How many SANFL A grade games did Rankine play?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Martin spend a fair portion of his game up forward?

Also, Martin is 187 cm. Rankine is 175 cm. Martin's lack of endurance could be excused because he had the height.

I'm not gonna cry if we select Rankine, cause we need a player to replace Robbie Gray anyways...but it really means we've decided that we're not winning a flag with guys like Boak and Gray.

Rankine is 180. Maybe it’s an indication we think we can win it next year, Rankine can have as big an impact next year as Stephenson has for Collingwood this year.

He meant Rankine has played 21 SANFL A Grade games over 2 years. Smith played for Xavier in the Melbourne schools comp.
Ok Xavier dont let their kids play non school footy.

Are you not worried that if we pick pick Smith that we'll end up having Boak, Ebert and Rockliff playing in positions that they shouldn't be in just because Hinkley is trying fit all these guys that are the same in the side.

No

Smith can play hbf/hff/wing the first year or 2.

Boak doesn’t play centre anymore he plays as a linkman running mid.

Ebert should have been playing Maggie’s on last years form. His position in the team should be in major trouble

Rocky is a different player to smith. He is pure extractor to smiths inside outside play. And rocky will be 30+ Before smith turns 21.

It’s also worth noting that our collection of midfielders under 25 is

Wines
Atley
spp
Mayes (if we consider him a mid)
Drew
Patmore (if we consider him a mid)
Dbj (who can go in there)

And possibly

Bonner and burton

That’s not a lot to be honest.

Wines the only proven one of the lot, with spp and atley close behind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what happens when Smith plays TAC cup:

"BOTTOM-AGER Bailey Smith had one of the best individual games of the 2017 TAC Cup season, earning him AFL Draft Central’s TAC Cup Player of the Round.

The Sandringham Dragons midfielder racked up a round-high 44 disposals in a best-on-ground display in the Dragons’ 30-point win over Western Jets on Saturday.

With Smith’s private school Xavier College having the bye in the APS school football competition, he was able to turn his attention to the contest in blustery conditions at Frankston Oval, winning the ball at ease throughout the midfield.

Smith finished with 44 disposals (22 contested) at 72 per cent efficiency, 13 inside 50s, 10 clearances, six marks and four rebound 50s.

His work in the contest was super and he recorded a game high five centre clearances, able to get the ball moving forward for the Dragons.

The bottom-ager has played six games this season, averaging 27 disposals and is putting his hand up to be one of the handful of additions to the NAB AFL Academy when it is announced in the coming months."

"SANDRINGHAM Dragons captain Bailey Smith started off Round 1 of the 2018 TAC Cup season with a bang, earning AFL Draft Central’s TAC Cup Player of the Round.

The Dragons midfielder racked up 37 disposals (22 contested), 12 clearances, eight inside 50s and seven tackles, in a best-on-ground display in the Dragons’ 45-point win over Northern Knights at Skybus Stadium on Saturday."

That's what happens when he isn't suffering from Achilles bursitis.

Feels like a 50/50 split between Smith or Rankine if both available at 5. Personally I can't see another player with the explosive talent of Rankine, the kid is a freak. Get the feeling we'll be comparing them until their careers end...

Ok Xavier dont let their kids play non school footy.
I've been banging on about this to correct the misperception that Smith is not a risk- his lack of exposed form makes him a much greater risk than Rankine. The risk (and a very real one) is that he's a flat track bully- great against school boys and smaller, weaker opponents but will struggle against bigger bodies where he doesn't have a distinct physical advantage.

I repeat- a very high level talent but not on Rankine's level.

The harder question is if we have the choice between Smith and Rozee. That is a tough one because in that case Smith may just shade Rozee as the better player but then you have (a) go home factor- Smith has apparently indicated a strong preference to stay in Victoria but this is only rumour, (b) Achilles bursitis- I suspect this is an inflammatory condition and won't just go away with a few weeks rest.

Last edited:
It’s also worth noting that our collection of midfielders under 25 is

Wines
Atley
spp
Mayes (if we consider him a mid)
Drew
Patmore (if we consider him a mid)
Dbj (who can go in there)

And possibly

Bonner and burton

That’s not a lot to be honest.

Wines the only proven one of the lot, with spp and atley close behind.

Atley close behind Wines ??? He’s miles off Wines... he’s a fair way behind SPP aswell.

Hope to see a bit of Atley in 2019, great in traffic and has very good acceleration.

There is so much wrong with this that im just tapping out from now on. This is ludicrous.

Tac Cup by all reports isn’t a pushover competition. It’s the best underage league in aus and probably immeasurably better than sa under 17’s Comp considering Vic produces 3 times as much talent and sa’s under 17s loses its best 10-20 players to league and reserves level.

shewho

Smith isn't the first player ever from Xavier to be in this position. They would take it intro account.
They've also had a lot more than this season's worth of games (AFL academy
also
last year both games when he played the western jets he tore up as a first year

will rewatch his game against valente this weekend.

for the record I'm Rankine > Smith >> Rozee.

Some people on here (led by yourself) think that it'll be grab the pitchforks time if we pick Smith over the other 2.

It's not that at all, i could understand how any club gets to that position quite easily. I've been flipping Walsh and Smith in my rankings since June/July

Last edited:
I'm in the Smith camp. He's in the elite group of prospects, fills a need, and his attitude sounds like the type that could drive others around him to higher standards. There's no denying that he's the sort of person we desperately need around the club.

shewho

Smith isn't the first player ever from Xavier to be in this position. They would take it intro account
also
last year both games when he played the western jets he tore up as a first year
will rewatch his game against valente this weekend.

for the record I'm Rankine > Smith >> Rozee.

Some people on here (led by yourself) think that it'll be grab the pitchforks time .

It's not that at all, i could understand how club gets to that position quite easily.

He didn't even play on Valente

This is what happens when Smith plays TAC cup:

"BOTTOM-AGER Bailey Smith had one of the best individual games of the 2017 TAC Cup season, earning him AFL Draft Central’s TAC Cup Player of the Round.

The Sandringham Dragons midfielder racked up a round-high 44 disposals in a best-on-ground display in the Dragons’ 30-point win over Western Jets on Saturday.

With Smith’s private school Xavier College having the bye in the APS school football competition, he was able to turn his attention to the contest in blustery conditions at Frankston Oval, winning the ball at ease throughout the midfield.

Smith finished with 44 disposals (22 contested) at 72 per cent efficiency, 13 inside 50s, 10 clearances, six marks and four rebound 50s.

His work in the contest was super and he recorded a game high five centre clearances, able to get the ball moving forward for the Dragons.

The bottom-ager has played six games this season, averaging 27 disposals and is putting his hand up to be one of the handful of additions to the NAB AFL Academy when it is announced in the coming months."

"SANDRINGHAM Dragons captain Bailey Smith started off Round 1 of the 2018 TAC Cup season with a bang, earning AFL Draft Central’s TAC Cup Player of the Round.

The Dragons midfielder racked up 37 disposals (22 contested), 12 clearances, eight inside 50s and seven tackles, in a best-on-ground display in the Dragons’ 45-point win over Northern Knights at Skybus Stadium on Saturday."

That's what happens when he isn't suffering from Achilles bursitis.
Bottom ager too so more upside than most.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back