NFNL Div 2 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever happened to the league doing a weekly write up on there webpage about off season news?
Doesn't normally start this early in the off season.. Dw you'll get to read all about the crazy bears recruiting and subsequent write up to get all up and excited about soon enough.

Probably just needed a change to get the Fire back.
As to worst season, I wish my club would have won 16 out of 18 games and played off in a grand Final.
I would have been wrapped.
Depends which club you go for. For Thomastown or something absolutely it’s a success. But my Eltham connections believe they should be fighting for 1st division finals not sitting in division 2.

The last 15 years they’ve been in division 1 that’s a lot more important to most than being a division 2 runner up.

Depends which club you go for. For Thomastown or something absolutely it’s a success. But my Eltham connections believe they should be fighting for 1st division finals not sitting in division 2.

The last 15 years they’ve been in division 1 that’s a lot more important to most than being a division 2 runner up.
Which begs the question. Why is a club that sits in the engine room of the shire, a substantial history of good juniors, large supporter base and a long heritage not only playing finals in Div 1, but hugely successful at it? Is it poor administration, poor choice of coaches or a lazy culture? Asking the question, not providing an opinion.

Understand what you're saying but I would think last year when they were relegated was probably worse.
I'm pretty sure they'll bounce back, looking at their facebook page there's seems to be some big things happening at Eltham.

Which begs the question. Why is a club that sits in the engine room of the shire, a substantial history of good juniors, large supporter base and a long heritage not only playing finals in Div 1, but hugely successful at it? Is it poor administration, poor choice of coaches or a lazy culture? Asking the question, not providing an opinion.
Very good question. That same can be asked about heaps of clubs such as South Morang who have had the best juniors at some stages and cant get out of division 3 while other clubs do much more with less resources.

Id say its a little bit of all. The Bandera tenure was a disaster for many. King i dont know heaps about the bloke but have heard a few of the faithful are a disgruntled. Seems like a really great club everytime ive been down there and everyone seems fairly loyal.

Understand what you're saying but I would think last year when they were relegated was probably worse.
I'm pretty sure they'll bounce back, looking at their facebook page there's seems to be some big things happening at Eltham.
The "enjoyment" of the year obviously would have been better this year despite the last 30 minutes. But my point the club is still in its lowest position for 15 years.

What am i looking at on their facebook page? getting back Williamson?

Good question, any one of those could cause the problem, but once you get relegated and have to rely on one game at the end of the year to get back up it doesnt always go to plan.
Especially when it's played at Preston.

Very good question. That same can be asked about heaps of clubs such as South Morang who have had the best juniors at some stages and cant get out of division 3 while other clubs do much more with less resources.

Id say its a little bit of all. The Bandera tenure was a disaster for many. King i dont know heaps about the bloke but have heard a few of the faithful are a disgruntled. Seems like a really great club everytime ive been down there and everyone seems fairly loyal.

The "enjoyment" of the year obviously would have been better this year despite the last 30 minutes. But my point the club is still in its lowest position for 15 years.

What am i looking at on their facebook page? getting back Williamson?
What I was thinking about was the funding that they got for the new Lights and the Building renovations.
apparently they'll have state of the art rooms and the lights will enable them to play night games.
However as to Getting Williamson back, that has to be a plus they needed a Goal Kickng Ruckman.

What I was thinking about was the funding that they got for the new Lights and the Building renovations.
apparently they'll have state of the art rooms and the lights will enable them to play night games.
However as to Getting Williamson back, that has to be a plus they needed a Goal Kickng Ruckman.
It'll be great for the club, a well deserved upgrade. Theyll have the best facilities in the league .

They should think about hosting the GF's there of at least 1 of the divisions. Replace the Epping games to Eltham (providing eltham isn't in it)

It'll be great for the club, a well deserved upgrade. Theyll have the best facilities in the league .

They should think about hosting the GF's there of at least 1 of the divisions. Replace the Epping games to Eltham (providing eltham isn't in it)
Although their surface is ok it just needs to be green at that time of the year.

All the stuff you mentioned is great but as a whole they seem to be a club that can never quite grasp the opportunities afforded them. Go back to the days of Phil Maylin coaching and all the promise and hype over that appointment, along with the recruiting of Cox, Martin and Contessa. Plenty of junior talent along with ex AFL players but still no real success. They had a guy like Brett Weatherald coach and get them into finals contention but he was gone the following season, which in my opinion was a turning point. They are an enigmatic club who should have at least one Div 1 flag to their name for past 15 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the stuff you mentioned is great but as a whole they seem to be a club that can never quite grasp the opportunities afforded them. Go back to the days of Phil Maylin coaching and all the promise and hype over that appointment, along with the recruiting of Cox, Martin and Contessa. Plenty of junior talent along with ex AFL players but still no real success. They had a guy like Brett Weatherald coach and get them into finals contention but he was gone the following season, which in my opinion was a turning point. They are an enigmatic club who should have at least one Div 1 flag to their name for past 15 years.

Winning Div 1 premierships ain't that easy, you need the big bucks to pay for the right players. Thats why Heidelberg and Bundoora have done so well.
Check out West Preston this year they were 42 player points compared to McLeod's 27, I'd like to see their Player payments.
If your going to go down the track of relying on home talent your going to need Gary Ramsay as Coach but I think his price has gone up considerably. (Robert Hyde is pretty good too.)
It's only my opinion but I've seen every Div 1 Grand Final over the last 10 years and it's generally those big imports who tend to make the difference on the big day.

Winning Div 1 premierships ain't that easy, you need the big bucks to pay for the right players. Thats why Heidelberg and Bundoora have done so well.
Check out West Preston this year they were 42 player points compared to McLeod's 27, I'd like to see their Player payments.
If your going to go down the track of relying on home talent your going to need Gary Ramsay as Coach but I think his price has gone up considerably. (Robert Hyde is pretty good too.)
It's only my opinion but I've seen every Div 1 Grand Final over the last 10 years and it's generally those big imports who tend to make the difference on the big day.
Agreed they’re not easy. I think my point was more about why Eltham either don’t have the resources, or don’t take advantage of them if they do. Despite their lack of success on the div 1 stage, they are a big well supported club with and ever improving facility that should be financially capable of competing with all the successful clubs of the past 10 plus years.

Agreed they’re not easy. I think my point was more about why Eltham either don’t have the resources, or don’t take advantage of them if they do. Despite their lack of success on the div 1 stage, they are a big well supported club with and ever improving facility that should be financially capable of competing with all the successful clubs of the past 10 plus years.
I put that question to one of the guys on their committee, he said ther've never had a big Sponsor and havent had the funds to spend and whilst they were in Divy1 they were down in the bottom 3 when it came to player payment.
He thinks the new Committee are a lot more energetic and pro active and they accept that ther've made too many mistakes in the past and are determined to get it right.
I tend to agree with that, I also happen know some of the new guys that are on their committee and the're pretty good operators so we'll have to waite and see.
For a club to be successful they need to have sustained success, maybe not always winning the premiership but generally up there with a chance.

Last edited:
I put that question to one of the guys on their committee, he said ther've never had a big Sponsor and havent had the funds to spend and whilst they were in Divy1 they were down in the bottom 3 when it came to player payment.
He thinks the new Committee are a lot more energetic and pro active and they accept that ther've made too many mistakes in the past and are detirmed to get it right.
I tend to agree with that, I also happen know some of the new guys that are on their committee and the're pretty good operators so we'll have to waite and see.
For a club to be successful they need to have sustained success, maybe not always winning the premiership but generally up there with a chance.

Money wins Premierships. Note the plural - anyone can win one flag but to have sustained success you need solid financial backing. Eltham were big spenders in the 70s - ironically the last time they won a div 1 flag. Did well to stay up in Div 1 as long as they did (2003 - 2017?) but were never really in the mix to win one. Banyule look like they're having a crack and good on them, I hope they get to divy 1 asap so we (Heidelberg) can flog them.

Money wins Premierships. Note the plural - anyone can win one flag but to have sustained success you need solid financial backing. Eltham were big spenders in the 70s - ironically the last time they won a div 1 flag. Did well to stay up in Div 1 as long as they did (2003 - 2017?) but were never really in the mix to win one. Banyule look like they're having a crack and good on them, I hope they get to divy 1 asap so we (Heidelberg) can flog them.
I wouldn’t be so confident. Banyule are flying. Money, juniors, great club. Heidelberg could have a close division 1 rival which could provide some great spectacles.

He thinks the new Committee are a lot more energetic and pro active and they accept that ther've made too many mistakes in the past and are determined to get it right.
Yeah it’s interesting, you compare them with a Macleod and you think that Eltham are located with a town centre, you’d think greater avenues to be better off financially, arguably bigger and better access to junior talent, bigger supporter base, I’d doubt if Macleod have spent overs in recent times but are a more successful modern day club. I think the issues for Eltham are off field. Need smarter football people and switched on business minded executive.

Yeah it’s interesting, you compare them with a Macleod and you think that Eltham are located with a town centre, you’d think greater avenues to be better off financially, arguably bigger and better access to junior talent, bigger supporter base, I’d doubt if Macleod have spent overs in recent times but are a more successful modern day club. I think the issues for Eltham are off field. Need smarter football people and switched on business minded executive.
Probably agree, I still reckon Gary Ramsay was the big influence at Macleod, it will be interesting to see how they go now he's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back