Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a 60kg dude is benching 120kg I’d be very impressed

You’d be more impressed if a 180kg guy benched 30kg over the current all time record.
And fwiw the bench press record in the 60kg class is 200kg for unequipped

Depends on your goals and how heavy you are (as in, 2x bodyweight is far more impressive if you weigh 180kg than if you weigh 60kg)
I like relative strength goals myself, it evens the playing field. As a leaner guy I won't be hitting 150kg bench press anytime this life, but the few guys at my gym who do I don't see knocking out Muscle ups or heavy weighted dips, where all that body fat is a hinderance not a help.

I like relative strength goals myself, it evens the playing field. As a leaner guy I won't be hitting 150kg bench press anytime this life, but the few guys at my gym who do I don't see knocking out Muscle ups or heavy weighted dips, where all that body fat is a hinderance not a help.

That’s the thing though, others will have completely different goals they will prefer the extra bodyweight for a bigger bench press and have no interest in muscle ups or dips.

People will generally gravitate to and enjoy what they are naturally good at it.

That’s the thing though, others will have completely different goals they will prefer the extra bodyweight for a bigger bench press and have no interest in muscle ups or dips.

People will generally gravitate to and enjoy what they are naturally good at it.
I don’t have a problem with that. I just think there’s an over emphasis on raw numbers and consider relative strength as a better comparison.

I don’t have a problem with that. I just think there’s an over emphasis on raw numbers and consider relative strength as a better comparison.

In your opinion what makes a weighted dip more relative than a bench press?

Anything to do with relative strength favours smaller/lighter lifters in the same way anything to do with absolute strength favours bigger/heavier lifters.

It may also be to do with my background (trade, warehousing etc) but I'd take the absolute strength guy over the relative strength guy any day of the week for practical applications eg guy at the company I used to work for was a bodyweight exercise machine (and funnily enough the first person to do a 1260 on roller blades and even made the cover of a video game lol) but there was know way known I'd pick him over the big 170kg islander we had working for us when it came to warehousing tasks (or if I ever had to move house).
Outside of specific sporting contexts there's just not as much of a requirement for relative strength as there is for absolute (even considering the modern technology we have)

Last edited:
Anything to do with relative strength favours smaller/lighter lifters in the same way anything to do with absolute strength favours bigger/heavier lifters.

It may also be to do with my background (trade, warehousing etc) but I'd take the absolute strength guy over the relative strength guy any day of the week for practical applications eg guy at the company I used to work for was a bodyweight exercise machine (and funnily enough the first person to do a 1260 on roller blades and even made the cover of a video game lol) but there was know way known I'd pick him over the big 170kg islander we had working for us when it came to warehousing tasks (or if I ever had to move house).
Outside of specific sporting contexts there's just not as much of a requirement for relative strength as there is for absolute (even considering the modern technology we have)

It would be like me at 85kgs benching 135kg saying I’m relatively stronger than a 110kg bloke benching 160kg

Waiting 10 mins to use one of the benches but one guy is literally writing his first novel on :unamused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make sure you raise a barbell to the Arnie poster on the wall when you crack the ton.

01016-zoom.jpg

Holy s**t.

A guy just walked in with a stringer muscle tank that has 3 long rips (like claws) that takes up 3/4 of the ‘tank’.

Why not increase the weight and drop the rep range.
I went to the gym earlier - even though I'm still recovering from the late flight which got in at 2am this morning.

I like to push reps to exhaustion point and I was up to about 8 on my 3rd set and really straining and this skinny woman runs over to spot me because she thinks I'm going to drop the whole lot.

That's nice of her.

Hasnt there been cases of ppl dying from dropping heavy weights on themselves..
Yep - really nice of her. Turns out she's a great person. I've been giving her the evil eye for a few months because she never puts the weights back properly. Perhaps I should chill out a bit.

Yep - really nice of her. Turns out she's a great person. I've been giving her the evil eye for a few months because she never puts the weights back properly. Perhaps I should chill out a bit.

I used to work in a gym. Nah evil eye away i say- you should put your weights back its not hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back