Society/Culture Bourke st incident ( again )

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad news.

That poor bloke who was probably just walking down the street after work to go home to his family and was fatally stabbed by this pathetic campaigner of a human.

Hope the offender lives after the cops shot him and he rots in a jail cell for the rest of his life and is served prison justice every day if you know what I mean.

Cannot imagine what the family of the deceased pedestrian is going through right now. :(

Smartest Brain

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Bourke St, near the city's biggest tram corridor, late on a Friday arvo?

I don't think it takes a genius to work out that cops can't just start firing rounds and risk the lives of the public. On the news tonight they talk about the bloke with a trolley as a "hero bystander" - while I don't doubt that this guy was brave and believed he was doing the right thing, something like that prevents a cop being able to shoot.

They had about 5-10 seconds of clear shots before they shot him. I am guessing there was a fair amount of hesitation to kill someone as cops are unfairly criticized these days when it comes to shooting even very dangerous people.

"He was off his medication it wasn't his fault"

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
wkUtbHyjDajjKUHVbjiPXQ-GgKqJMb_T-Fvz3QEkXVc (1).jpg

Any word on motive yet? Silly question?
Only really matters for those keeping score

End of the day mutts are mutts no matter race , gender , sexual orientation or religious inclination yes ?

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
They had about 5-10 seconds of clear shots before they shot him. I am guessing there was a fair amount of hesitation to kill someone as cops are unfairly criticized these days when it comes to shooting even very dangerous people.

Yes, but you've gotta be quick thinking enough to recognise the opportunity, be able to draw the weapon, and assess what happens if you miss - all the while trying to dodge a campaigner slashing at you with a knife. I don't really have a strong opinion on cops either way, but from what we've seen on twitter I don't think you can question them today, and I don't think it was a case of finding reasons not to shoot him - I think it's a case of needing the right opportunity to.

tommyTitch

Senior List
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Weren't 1 million dollar each concrete bollards just installed?
I think it's time to expel traffic from all heavy CBD areas, with a time period after dark for the movement of freight.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Yes, but you've gotta be quick thinking enough to recognise the opportunity, be able to draw the weapon, and assess what happens if you miss - all the while trying to dodge a campaigner slashing at you with a knife. I don't really have a strong opinion on cops either way, but from what we've seen on twitter I don't think you can question them today, and I don't think it was a case of finding reasons not to shoot him - I think it's a case of needing the right opportunity to.

The rounds they use are designed to thump the body and not travel through it. They are not high velocity rounds. The public were not at harm once the perp was a few feet away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smartest Brain

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS

If anything they waited too long in this case. I understand not shooting someone immediately when trying to figure out the situation, unless you are immediately under a knife/gun attack. In this case some of those cops embarrassed themselves jumping around bins and trying to dodge knife attacks. Anyone on earth knows if you try to stab a cop you should be shot. So shoot them, and make sure you kill them because otherwise we have the potential to waste even more money on these idiots who don't deserve it.

It doesn't matter if its medication, mental, religious, any reason is irrelevant, you shouldn't be going around trying to stab people without knowing you will put your own life at risk. And if you are too dumb to not realize stabbing people is bad then you don't deserve to be alive anyhow imo.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
They got there straight away and did everything they could not to shoot him .

I dont understand why though when there's innocent people lying in the street, a car burning from a presumed failed bomb and some nutcase slashing at anything that moves? What if he had a remote switch? Needed to shut that straight down, is obvious. Victorian police are a joke

Smartest Brain

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
I dont understand why though when there's innocent people lying in the street, a car burning from a presumed failed bomb and some nutcase slashing at anything that moves? What if he had a remote switch? Needed to shut that straight down, is obvious. Victorian police are a joke
It did look embarrassing and it will be even more embarrassing for the Vic police if the perp lives.

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I reckon so.

Police statement coming up.

I'm calling it as terrorism.

Terrorism as in 'politically motivated violence by a non State actor'.

To call it as terrorism you have to know his political motive.

Care to share that motive?

Cops did good anyway.

You can see by the footage he's not with it. His body movements uncoordinated and slow. It's as if he's having a mental health episode. Judging by the way police dealt they thought as well as they tried disarming him before using lethal force

It's sad all those in this thread leaping to conclusions based on race. Especially those who have a record of critising others in previous threads for being judgemental towards race and Moslems

Yesterday an American marine went nuts with a gun and killed eleven people and none of you guys say he was isis.

tommyTitch

Senior List
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Blame technology. Every action is being filmed by someone. Police handled it quite well really. Maybe it's time for rubber bullets?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back