Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
meanwhile ...wheres Sonny Skip ...? tchtchcth ... whats thats.. Sonny's stuck down a well.... tchtchcth and he sent you for help......

Oh draft talk....

I heard Shifter on SEN today that he thinks #1 pick is either Sam Walsh or Max King .... talked about the PS training at MelbourneFC where he was talking marks over the top of the tall players on their list.. he referenced the 1 game in the tac this year ..kicked 7 or 8... and he was looking a #1 ..then the knee happened...
just where will MKing go and what would we be prepared to pay for him if SW really likes him. ..add to that we are about the only side that is currently looking at being restricted next year..can we really afford to trade away a FR1 pick

yeah it is really interesting with Valente. The big question mark is his speed and spread. However, because of the club he plays for he never really got the chance to show what he could do at reserves and league level. Not sure he is any slower than hately really. One thing for sure is that he is a better user of the ball. Probably wouldn't take him at 12 but if his speed holds up at the next level he will be a star because he is the best left and right kick I have seen for a long time. Including at AFL level. He is as good as S Mitchell off both sides and probably better because he can kick it 55 on both sides. The problem as a cats fan is it is hard not to think Horlin-Smith. Although this guy has done it at a much higher level in the juniors since he was 16. Always AA Academy ect.

It’s a shame he didn’t test at the combine, could’ve got a good gauge of his speed and power.

meanwhile ...wheres Sonny Skip ...? tchtchcth ... whats thats.. Sonny's stuck down a well.... tchtchcth and he sent you for help......

Oh draft talk....

I heard Shifter on SEN today that he thinks #1 pick is either Sam Walsh or Max King .... talked about the PS training at MelbourneFC where he was talking marks over the top of the tall players on their list.. he referenced the 1 game in the tac this year ..kicked 7 or 8... and he was looking a #1 ..then the knee happened...
just where will MKing go and what would we be prepared to pay for him if SW really likes him. ..add to that we are about the only side that is currently looking at being restricted next year..can we really afford to trade away a FR1 pick

We're not getting M.King, he's going top 5 and there's absolutely no chance we can get a top 5 pick.

Constable and Hately would not be able to play in the same team. Constable had much better form in the vfl than Hately in the safl and is only a year older.

I think we would look at others before him..but imo.. we are drafting for the near future not the now ... so its when the current group are pushed aside. ... or go elsewhere. CC hasn't played a game yet so id not put all my eggs just in his basket.
Hopefully Sel moves out in 2019 maybe back .. and Danger will have to help more forward... we will need a young group and hope that a few push ahead and standout. As of now.. I dont we really have not had any young mids that have pushed in to the same degree Sel did when he started... so from that pov someone like Stocker may entice or maybe we look at Taylor as we have lost Menz. I really do want a sub 180 but if we really like a certain player then we probably draft him in spite of his height. .. but maybe they really rate the sa kid.

So ..I really do not see any of our young kids atm being so dominant that I wouldn't draft a player I rate just on his type or size.

I fail to see your point.

my point... the thread was diverging into non draft topics and whether we draft a kid or he will be gone ,MKing for which you are most likely right about and will go before 12/14 .. or do we try to move down to get him etc if he slips.... is something id rather discuss rather talk that than some other trains of thought recently posted.

I agree ..there is very little chance Max King will be available at our natural pick for sure... just how early may go .. might it be depend on what StK does with their pick as they like him... could he slip to a range where we think about trading down to get him? etc.

It’s a shame he didn’t test at the combine, could’ve got a good gauge of his speed and power.

I've got his numbers somewhere. I think it was better for him not to test if that gives you a guide. Not sure they would have been great.

I've got his numbers somewhere. I think it was better for him not to test if that gives you a guide. Not sure they would have been great.

Does Valentine look slow in game? As you have mentioned the combine can be deceptive for some players. Is he more the gut runner rather than the speed type? If he cant run the K's I doubt we look at him we seem to rate guys if they can cover the ground..

Valente at the start of the year for his club:

3.09 20m
8.5 agility
20.8 yoyo.

For comparison Hately:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just spotted Valente at my gym, he’s a BIG boy. He’s 187cm, can’t imagine how big Hately would look in person given he’s 192cm.

Edit - here’s a pic showing how big Hately is (far left), for reference key forward Lukosius is far right, and Valente is in the middle.

View attachment 582804

He seems a good size .... similar to Bartel?

Does Valentine look slow in game? As you have mentioned the combine can be deceptive for some players. Is he more the gut runner rather than the speed type? If he cant run the K's I doubt we look at him we seem to rate guys if they can cover the ground..

No he doesn't cover the ground that well and might get found out at the next level. I just haven't been doing it for long enough to have seen enough juniors who have been in the AFL system for long enough now so I can refer back. I certainly know that the club I worked for had some concerns.

No he doesn't cover the ground that well and might get found out at the next level. I just haven't been doing it for long enough to have seen enough juniors who have been in the AFL system for long enough now so I can refer back. I certainly know that the club I worked for had some concerns.

well I'd say that will put a cross thru his name then ... it seems we really look at that...

I think we would look at others before him..but imo.. we are drafting for the near future not the now ... so its when the current group are pushed aside. ... or go elsewhere. CC hasn't played a game yet so id not put all my eggs just in his basket.
Hopefully Sel moves out in 2019 maybe back .. and Danger will have to help more forward... we will need a young group and hope that a few push ahead and standout. As of now.. I dont we really have not had any young mids that have pushed in to the same degree Sel did when he started... so from that pov someone like Stocker may entice or maybe we look at Taylor as we have lost Menz. I really do want a sub 180 but if we really like a certain player then we probably draft him in spite of his height. .. but maybe they really rate the sa kid.

So ..I really do not see any of our young kids atm being so dominant that I wouldn't draft a player I rate just on his type or size.
We need skilfull mids with good foot skills.

Butters fits that bill. I'd also be looking at Ely Smith post Selwood

Oh draft talk....

Unfortunately Shifter is too old and a little past it IMHO. There is no way in the world that anyone should be ahead of Lukosius. He struggled a bit with injury this year but if you want to compare 1 game efforts which the Melbourne people are so excited about B King for. Then let me run this by you Luko.

First how hard do you honestly think Melbourne players were going against a kid in pre season training. Secondly what did he kick 7 or 8 in a TAC cup game wow that is "amazing".

Now how about his from Luko. Kid had just turned 17 and was called up to make his league debut at CHF in a Preliminary final last year. He was picked up by the HBF or CHB in the SANFL team of the year. A guy called jack stephens who a number of AFL clubs were looking at last year. Anyway Luko kicked 4 on him in the first half including 2 from 55m and had the CHB of the year dragged off him. It was phenomenal. Trust me when I say this. There has very very very rarely been a key position talent like this kid in a long time. He will go straight in the AFL and instantly be in the top ten best kicks in the league.

Unfortunately Shifter is too old and a little past it IMHO. There is no way in the world that anyone should be ahead of Lukosius. He struggled a bit with injury this year but if you want to compare 1 game efforts which the Melbourne people are so excited about B King for. Then let me run this by you Luko.

First how hard do you honestly think Melbourne players were going against a kid in pre season training. Secondly what did he kick 7 or 8 in a TAC cup game wow that is "amazing".

Now how about his from Luko. Kid had just turned 17 and was called up to make his league debut at CHF in a Preliminary final last year. He was picked up by the HBF or CHB in the SANFL team of the year. A guy called jack stephens who a number of AFL clubs were looking at last year. Anyway Luko kicked 4 on him in the first half including 2 from 55m and had the CHB of the year dragged off him. It was phenomenal. Trust me when I say this. There has very very very rarely been a key position talent like this kid in a long time. He will go straight in the AFL and instantly be in the top ten best kicks in the league.

Whether Shifter is cooked or not ..its his opinion.. ..and he also stated that any of that group of 6 players may normally be #1. It gets down to preference imo. Luko may or may not be the second coming..we will see. Love him at Geelong obviously.. I look forward to seeing him play at afl level with someone

Whether Shifter is cooked or not ..its his opinion.. ..and he also stated that any of that group of 6 players may normally be #1. It gets down to preference imo. Luko may or may not be the second coming..we will see. Love him at Geelong obviously.. I look forward to seeing him play at afl level with someone

Yeah unfortunately for him and maybe Rankine I think they go to Gold Coast and they seem capable of destroying almost any talent with their lack of development! Like Melbourne and Richmond back in the day. I sometimes chuckle at people who really criticise those teams recruiting in the past because I honestly believe that recruited some very very talented kids and just ruined them with their laughable environment!

Yeah unfortunately for him and maybe Rankine I think they go to Gold Coast and they seem capable of destroying almost any talent with their lack of development! Like Melbourne and Richmond back in the day. I sometimes chuckle at people who really criticise those teams recruiting in the past because I honestly believe that recruited some very very talented kids and just ruined them with their laughable environment!

I have mentioned it before that the success or failure of certain players ..one can only estimate what would have happened if they had landed elsewhere... Varcoe at Geelong Tambling at Richmond etc... ..people talk about the failure of top picks... I wonder what we would say if the best talent went into the best system at the best clubs... obviously still some failures but it would be different.

Id be surprised if GC take Rankine..

Just spotted Valente at my gym, he’s a BIG boy. He’s 187cm, can’t imagine how big Hately would look in person given he’s 192cm.

Edit - here’s a pic showing how big Hately is (far left), for reference key forward Lukosius is far right, and Valente is in the middle.

View attachment 582804

We're a chance to get Hately if he falls a few spots to our pick.
SA's prime mover would be a fantastic choice.

Name some of these talented kids you're talking about?

We're a chance to get Hately if he falls a few spots to our pick.
SA's prime mover would be a fantastic choice.

Just not totally convinced on his disposal and clean hands. Also I think I have made it reasonably clear that we agree to disagree on what we should be looking to do with our first selection. You seem to be obsessed with getting a big mid where as I just want the best available as cliche as that sounds. I think people forget that Danger still has 5 really good years left as an inside bull. Menegola is played sporadically there but could be a number two big mid at 189cm comfortably. Also Constable by all reports looks a player and you can't draft based on expecting your 19 year olds not to make it. We also have Cockatoo who whilst he has proven nothing with his inability to get on the park he also isnt finished yet either. With 12 we simply have to take the best available and look for list balance later. Besides O Brownless is a 187cm big mid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back