2nd ODI Australia v South Africa, Friday November 9 Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

It's so rare for Starc to have a bad spell over 10 overs, even when he gets smacked early he inevitably pulls it back. Averaging 21 in ODIs is pretty incredible, his record's as good as anyone to have played in this format. That said, Shane Bond averaging 20 despite his injuries is some achievement.
But slower than the big 3.
He's bowling pretty fast at the moment, probably 10 ks quicker than he normally does.

They don't need to mention it 100 times though.
He did solid in the end considering, just let himself down on the final ball of a couple of his overs.
I'm more impressed what he did with the bat though.

That's the story though, him and Stoinis.

Starc gets tail ender out with yorker is not news, Cummins or Hazlewood taking wickets is not news. Zampa coming into the side and almost losing his place for Hobart before we hit the halfway point of our bowling innings but then pinning it back and playing a big part in our win is a story. Stoinis bowling a gem of a spell and continuing to cement his spot is a story.

Enjoying seeing the decent interviews with the captains there instead of just the token question or 2 post game.. And Howie here actually getting into the rooms with the players is brilliant access, bloody great stuff

Well, the 5th and slower bowlers.
Fair call.
It's so rare for Starc to have a bad spell over 10 overs, even when he gets smacked early he inevitably pulls it back. Averaging 21 in ODIs is pretty incredible, his record's as good as anyone to have played in this format. That said, Shane Bond averaging 20 despite his injuries is some achievement.

He's bowling pretty fast at the moment, probably 10 ks quicker than he normally does.

Absolutely. Though it seems just from extremely casual observation, that he is starting to rely a bit too heavily on getting wickets with yorkers. At his best obviously he’s always taken wickets that way anyway, but he also for a fair while got a lot of blokes caught in the slips (lefties) bowling full and swinging it away. Maybe I’m purely imagining this but it seems like he’s bowling without as much of a plan b as he had in say the World Cup etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don’t have a batsman in that side (I haven’t seen enough of Carey) we just have flat track sloggers and no brain between them and how in the hell they made Finch captain I’ll never know...and we are a long way from hitting the bottom

What did you think of Finch’s captaincy in the second innings?

Thoughts and prayers with all those who put their life savings on South Africa @ $2.20.

I’ve only read the last couple of pages on this thread but how was SA a clear outsider still?
They were the outsider in game 1, won easily and it was 2 wins in 21 for Australia.
Australia were also favourites against Pakistan in the T20s also. Bet against them and you just kept winning until tonight.
I would still back SA in game 3. Well for value. I hate actually betting against Australia but if you want to make money it’s great business.

Good to win after such a long wait.

Stoinis and Cummins bowled about as well as they ever have in this format.

Maxwell/Zampa bowling the final overs was odd to say the least - what was that about?

Beyond that, how was Finch as an ODI captain compared to Smith/Paine?

Zampa batted well and did well to close the game, but I'm still unconvinced about having him in the side. He doesn't have a great deal of variety (legbreak/googly and maybe the odd topspinner), he doesn't turn or flight the ball that much either way and he lacks the control to really tie down an end.

Carey being at #5 seems to be more an indictment of our lack of depth than anything else, but he's done a reasonable job.

Steyn still looks dangerous after all this time.

Lol, great performance set up by MOM Captain Finch, got a defendable total and did the job perfectly.

Whilst the Adelaide Oval is the worlds flattest test pitch now with no more WACA, I’m pretty sure for OD games, 240 has often been very defendable
you do realise that Adelaide has actually been the best, fairest pitch in the country for sometime now

That's the story though, him and Stoinis.

Starc gets tail ender out with yorker is not news, Cummins or Hazlewood taking wickets is not news. Zampa coming into the side and almost losing his place for Hobart before we hit the halfway point of our bowling innings but then pinning it back and playing a big part in our win is a story. Stoinis bowling a gem of a spell and continuing to cement his spot is a story.
Stoinis was good, a spirit boosting victory. With Warner and Smith included we are still a good chance of winning the world cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back