List Mgmt. 2018 Draft Prospects aka the West and Khamis thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The kid is super obsessive. I mean way more obsessive than Cross or Morris type of self-discipline.
Slight warning bells for me. Can he laugh? Unwind? Loosen up? Does he have any creativity (creativity tends to be at odds with strict discipline).
Crossy was pretty dam obsessed. There was a story back in the day where he would get his girlfriend to hide footies up in cupboards around the house so when he opened them they would fall and he'd catch them to sharpen his reaction times. He also weighed his food.
Woewodin was also famous for weighing his food - apparently he would do it at restaurants.

Crossy was pretty dam obsessed. There was a story back in the day where he would get his girlfriend to hide footies up in cupboards around the house so when he opened them they would fall and he'd catch them to sharpen his reaction times. He also weighed his food.
Woewodin was also famous for weighing his food - apparently he would do it at restaurants.

Jeepers. I see body builders weighing food for all that macro numbers crap. Didn’t think it would be vital for afl players too.

Were they already doing that and more at 17? And saying they wouldn't taste alcohol until they were 30? (LOL, bet he doesn't last the distance!!)

The kid is super obsessive. I mean way more obsessive than Cross or Morris type of self-discipline.

Slight warning bells for me. Can he laugh? Unwind? Loosen up? Does he have any creativity (creativity tends to be at odds with strict discipline).

But hey, if he can maintain that regime over his career and still be a real person and a clubmate you can talk to then he'll certainly be an asset.

Wouldn't you love to have Stringer's physique and that sort of mental discipline all in the one player?

My guess is he is nearer his ceiling than a lot of his 18yo peers. Similar thoughts were going around this time last year regarding Jack Higgins who took a whole year off to focus on getting drafted. A year on he looks a decent sort of player for Richmond but I haven't seen anything yet to say he'll be a superstar. I suspect Smith will be the same, maybe starting from a slightly higher base.

Won't mind if we draft him. I think we're bound to get reasonable value out of him as long as he avoids major injury. However if we pick someone else (or he's already gone before pick 7) I won't fret.

For mine, the fact that two clubs have already chosen him as their captain suggests that he has no problems fitting in, or relating to both his teammates, and his different coaches. If his self discipline is in the Cross/Morris zone, I'd love to see him in the RW&B. Libba, West and Smith added to our midfield rotations potentially frees up some others, McLean etc., to spend more time being creative. I suspect Smith is likely to be off the board before pick 7 though sadly. That's another reason why I would be against trading our pick down. If we do consider trading it at all, I'd hope it is only to move up the order. With the number of young talented kids on our list already, I'd much rather see us concentrating on quality rather than quantity.

I always weigh my Quarter pounder at Maccas to make sure I’m not being ripped off!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another thing i really like about smith is that he attacks a contest at full speed and doesnt back step

Thats an impressive trait for a 17 year old
Yes I agree, plays with a shitload of energy, hits the contest hard like you said but also when he gets his hands on the ball he just goes, no ******* around.

Jesus are people on here really saying that Smith works too hard, like it's a knock on him? Really reaching to find a weakness for him if that's the case.

The more obsessive tendencies he'll chill out about as time goes on, I'm sure. He's a footy obsessed kid trying to do everything he can to get the best out of himself and get drafted. It's nothing but positive.

Jesus are people on here really saying that Smith works too hard, like it's a knock on him? Really reaching to find a weakness for him if that's the case.

The more obsessive tendencies he'll chill out about as time goes on, I'm sure. He's a footy obsessed kid trying to do everything he can to get the best out of himself and get drafted. It's nothing but positive.
I will or absolutely thrilled if he is still on the board at 7 if he isn't then I'm happy to trade down for 2 in the teens

If Smith’s ceiling is a 200+ solid AFL player who shows great leadership and he is close to that, then what’s the issue?

If this is the type of player we turn pick 7 into then great.
Agree. No issue at all if he plays 200. There's just a long way between being being a draftee and getting to 200 games.

As I said I'm quite OK with us drafting him at 7 and he's been my pick for about two months.
Just a bit concerned that if he's so intense then he might not last the distance, but overall I still think he'd be a fairly safe bet. Safer than Jake!

Agree. No issue at all if he plays 200. There's just a long way between being being a draftee and getting to 200 games.

As I said I'm quite OK with us drafting him at 7 and he's been my pick for about two months.
Just a bit concerned that if he's so intense then he might not last the distance, but overall I still think he'd be a fairly safe bet. Safer than Jake!

Jake was a gun. Rarely have I looked forward to going to see someone play as much as I did early Jake. What might have been.......

Reading far too much into Smith's dietary choices, I'd say he's making healthier decisions than majority of those his age and that's a good thing. Mostly good for his longevity, more specifically the longevity of his career. How does it become a concern for potential rehab from a long term injury? If anything, not drinking alcohol will be good for recovery and having the mental toughness to say no to something socially normal for kids his age suggests he'd have no mental issues rehabbing an injury.

The player in last year's draft who some had a question mark over for his high state of development and obsessive tendencies was Jack Higgins . He ended up drifting a bit and is looking quite a bargain now.

O/S and having followed any of the draft coverage. Has anyone credible put out a mock draft yet??

Cheers
With the live bidding this year I don't think you can to be honest, mine is out to pick 43 and there are eight bids which I am
yet to cost or validate. It gets real in the teens with no certainty because of teams with multiple picks and players with no
desire to go to those clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back