Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate, he is just about start a 4 month intensive preseason. Have you any idea what that not only does to your body shape but also your weight and fitness? Obviously not.. if can get a full preseason in you will notice a big change in him for the coming season.. not midfield ready but maybe a few cameos...

I cant wait for both him and Murphy to get AFL level tanks. Not sure it can be done in one preseason though. We have been waiting for a long time for Hugh Greenwood to build his tank. Was a massive setback him getting injured during last years pre-season. I really hope to see him in tip top shape next year. I thought he was going to be the guy to take it to the next level this year. Doedee and Milera stepped up. Gallucci's turn this year I suppose. Hopefully Hugh is the guy that really surprises the AFL next year. Just hope he stays fit for the whole preseason.

Like Pavlich and Roo before him, Fog has powerful trunk legs. Coincidentally, he is a similar build to both of them. I don't think he can ever really slim them down without losing body weight. Not sure if his legs are a problem. Just needs to shred any baby fat that he might have and go on from there.

Agreed, the goal with Fog is more about maintaining his current weight, but increase lean body mass and reducing the puppy fat. Unlike with Jenkins and Walker, we can't allow him to stack on kgs and lose mobility/become more injury prone. A couple of kgs is okay, he should be the 92-95kg mark though, not the 100-105kg mark.

I'm fascinated as too what our weight and conditioning goals are with FOG going forward. Most kids need to put 5-10kg on in their first 2 years, whereas Fog was pretty much ideal weight coming out of the draft, but just a bit too heavy through the legs.

This preseason is really all about building his endurance base, he's got the body type such that he'll put on muscle by just looking at the gym, so that side will take care of itself to an extent, its getting him capable of running out a quarter/game properly that's important.

Agreed, the goal with Fog is more about maintaining his current weight, but increase lean body mass and reducing the puppy fat. Unlike with Jenkins and Walker, we can't allow him to stack on kgs and lose mobility/become more injury prone. A couple of kgs is okay, he should be the 92-95kg mark though, not the 100-105kg mark.

Agree 100%. It’s not just that he already has a pretty good physique. It’s because he is such a natural competitor that he doesn’t have that need that other kids do. Rather than him hit the weights, we could even let him build muscle by doing wrestling or something like that. Main thing right now is his tank though.

Brett+Burton+AFL+Rd+14+Adelaide+v+Hawthorn+gMa_EA_Y_VZl.jpg

"Let's see how far we can push those hamstrings."

I cant wait for both him and Murphy to get AFL level tanks. Not sure it can be done in one preseason though. We have been waiting for a long time for Hugh Greenwood to build his tank. Was a massive setback him getting injured during last years pre-season. I really hope to see him in tip top shape next year. I thought he was going to be the guy to take it to the next level this year. Doedee and Milera stepped up. Gallucci's turn this year I suppose. Hopefully Hugh is the guy that really surprises the AFL next year. Just hope he stays fit for the whole preseason.
It’s interesting because we have a bunch of blokes poised to potentially having real break out years. Could be really exciting

I think the aim is to maximise his endurance and agility without affecting his strength.
I can see him try and improve on all 3 facets this year, and he will then know in time what would be his fair ground for endurance, agility and strength. Probably also will depend on what he actually wants to become, a mainstay forward? Or a part-mid, part-forward?

His ideal weight should take care of itself once he figures out his maximal potential.

I'm always surprised when Roughead's height is mentioned. He plays so much taller.
Tall players don’t know how to use their height in a marking contest. Those that do are invaluable (Tippett, Cox etc).
Smaller KPFs who can time their marks but are also agile enough to wheel and kick long are also fantastic (Pav, Buddy, Tex, J.Riewoldt, Roughead).

Tall players don’t know how to use their height in a marking contest. Those that do are invaluable (Tippett, Cox etc).
Smaller KPFs who can time their marks but are also agile enough to wheel and kick long are also fantastic (Pav, Buddy, Tex, J.Riewoldt, Roughead).
Anecdotally I feel like the super tall KPPs seem to have more injury troubles.

The 193 ish ones more durable.

Delighted for someone to fact check me on that

So i was speaking to the a friend of a number of players through the AFL.

According to that person most of the issues with McGovern came due to the recruitment of Fog.

Apparently Mcgovern is very vocal, which is great when the nature of his speech is positive around the club, but Mcgovern isn't that type of person, apart from over rating his own ability, McGovern is like a lot of us on here who decide they don't like something at are prepared to tell everyone how s**t things are.

Which is great in the context of the woeful CM camp bit really s**t in trying to have a team all going in the same direction and not constantly having someone complain about everything.

Pyke picked McGovern at the end of the year only to try and retain him, otherwise he would have been in the twos which is where most of the players and coaches wanted him as Fog had been preferred by team mates and coaching staff in that 3rd tall role, both on ability and attitude .

So no pressure on you at all Fog.

Edit. Personally i still think we managed to lose a under 23 player due to our own shitness, but i found it an interesting story.

Last edited:

According to that person most of the issues with McGovern came due to the recruitment of Fog.

Apparently Mcgovern is very vocal, which is great when the nature of his speech is positive around the club, but Mcgovern isn't that type of person, apart from over rating his own ability, McGovern is like a lot of us on here who decide they don't like something at are prepared to tell everyone how s**t things are.

Which is great in the context of the woeful CM camp bit really s**t in trying to have a team all going in the same direction and not constantly having someone complain about everything.

Pyke picked McGovern at the end of the year only to try and retain him, otherwise he would have been in the twos which is where most of the players and coaches wanted him as Fog had been preferred by team mates and coaching staff in that 3rd tall role, both on ability and attitude .

So if i understand this correctly, McGovern was upset that Fogarty was picked in front of McGovern, even though McGovern was injured ??

So what was McGovern's reason for coming back overweight ? ....the Fogarty impact wouldn't have raised its head yet?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everything I've ever seen, read and witnessed would seem the opposite.

So if i understand this correctly, McGovern was upset that Fogarty was picked in front of McGovern, even though McGovern was injured ??

So what was McGovern's reason for coming back overweight ? ....the Fogarty impact wouldn't have raised its head yet?
More that the club wasn't as willing to put you with him once they'd identified a replacement.

Do you guys remember 105kg walker pre knee? He was too big and strong for the game.

Huge Mullett at the time, he was a walking suspension. Strong arms left and right, just walking through everybody and getting the ball. Looked like he'd have every second week off though.

Kinda liked it, tbh.

Dare I say...

Burton?

(Ours)

Anecdotally I feel like the super tall KPPs seem to have more injury troubles.

The 193 ish ones more durable.

Delighted for someone to fact check me on that

Did some research for you using the durability factor of KPPs 195 cms and under...191cms was the limit so Carey and Brereton could not be included...scary that they were both basically 6 foot 2

And the verdict is you are indeed right, not only are they more durable, have less parental issues but appear to be less dickheads in the group as well

Edit. Personally i still think we managed to lose a under 23 player due to our own shitness, but i found it an interesting story.
Fog has tremendous potential, but he’s nowhere near as good as McGov right now. That story surely doesn’t sound right. With another preseason though, can’t wait to see how much improvement the Fog can make!

Maybe an interesting story, but obviously not a true one

Back