Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot tip - if you’re planning to drive from Como to Bellagio, don’t take anything bigger than a fiat 500. And definitely not a Mercedes wagon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha fair enough.

Going to Seville for my Birthday in a months time. Any tips? Can't believe Ive lived in France for 6 years and never been to Spain.
jd2010 might have a few. One of his favourite cities IIRC.

Going to Seville for my Birthday in a months time. Any tips? Can't believe Ive lived in France for 6 years and never been to Spain.

There's a little place called La Cata Ciega that does amazing tapas. Spanish people generally don't eat until at least 9pm so don't be afraid to do a late lunch and then dinner at 10-11pm.

**** tours, just get out there and find your own way. Make yourself meet people and engage with cities/villages/countries rather than being baby sat and dictated to by a tour.

Agree! but many people interpret travelling on your own is doing a contiki :D

Agree! but many people interpret travelling on your own is doing a contiki :D
Recommend it to a first time traveller to Europe.
No one else should be doing it.

From Slovenia heading into Croatia

Anyone been to northern Croatia ?
Tito’s house is in north Croatia.
Probably less than a k from the boarder with Slovenia

One other thing in Slovenia to check out

Probably spelt wrong, but postojnia caves.
Impressive cave structure.Has had the tourist influence, but it still is pretty stunning.

Tito’s house is in north Croatia.
Probably less than a k from the boarder with Slovenia

One other thing in Slovenia to check out

Probably spelt wrong, but postojnia caves.
Impressive cave structure.Has had the tourist influence, but it still is pretty stunning.
Yep, the caves are great.

Bled and Como are both stunning and well with visiting.
Bled gave me a sense of serenity as it’s a bit out of the way. It’s relatively quiet and there are great walks all over the area. As a lake it’s a fair bit smaller than Como, but still a large body of water.
Como is ridiculously beautiful, but just being up the road from Milan, serenity it ain’t. It’s pretty crowded, ritzy and expensive and that’s what the northern Italians seem to love.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was there earlier this year, it was amazing! Visit the Alcazar of Seville, Plaza de espana and catch a Flamenco show if you can! :)

Bled and Como are both stunning and well with visiting.
Bled gave me a sense of serenity as it’s a bit out of the way. It’s relatively quiet and there are great walks all over the area. As a lake it’s a fair bit smaller than Como, but still a large body of water.
Como is ridiculously beautiful, but just being up the road from Milan, serenity it ain’t. It’s pretty crowded, ritzy and expensive and that’s what the northern Italians seem to love.

Triglav national park is the definition of nature pr0n.

How'd you go?
Loved it. The Food was incredibly good but we did a fair bit of research on where to eat the best tapas. We walked into some huge religious weekend where there were 1000s on the streets for November 1, 2 and 3 but calmed down a bit. Visited Real Alcazar and took a horse ride to the Plaza de Espana, a day trip via train to Cadiz(which is apparently believed to be Europe's oldest constantly inhabited city) and visited the Maestranza, the bullfighting arena. Im completely afgainst the bullfighting but my wife is from Nimes, which has an even bigger and older arena, so it's deep in her family's history. We averaged around 15kms a day walking around the city.. Still couldnt burn off all the delicious food we had.

Planning on going to Europe alone next year, not a tour, and staying in hostels. Any tips?

Planning on going to Europe alone next year, not a tour, and staying in hostels. Any tips?

Probably need a bit more info on which countries/regions you plan to visit and at what time of year. Summer is more expensive for accommodation and a lot busier in general. I think the best time to visit Europe as a tourist would be mid September - late October, or March - May. Autumn or Spring and the colors are amazing and change daily.

Probably need a bit more info on which countries/regions you plan to visit and at what time of year. Summer is more expensive for accommodation and a lot busier in general. I think the best time to visit Europe as a tourist would be mid September - late October, or March - May. Autumn or Spring and the colors are amazing and change daily.

August to October, starting in Britain (but staying with family) and then doing France, Spain, France, Italy, Croatia, Switzerland, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands.

Make sure you push it to mid October. I’ve never experienced a proper autumn until now and it’s absolutely incredible.

If you want good hostels Eastern Europe and Portugal
Are the best bets. Otherwise it’s normal prices often

August to October, starting in Britain (but staying with family) and then doing France, Spain, France, Italy, Croatia, Switzerland, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands.
Good time to start, especially if you have accommodation in the UK. September starts to cool down through the month plus accommodation should get cheaper after summer. If you go to Amsterdam definitely frequent the coffee shops if you are that way inclined. There's so many options in the other countries you listed, but I would recommend Positano or Tuscany(Italy), Brugges(Belgium)... Spain, Ive only been to Seville(last week) and you would have awesome tapas and bar life and very cheap.

If possible visit cities, but get out of them and see the the surrounds. You will find great food at very cheap prices and more friendly hospitality giving a more unique experience.

Make sure you push it to mid October. I’ve never experienced a proper autumn until now and it’s absolutely incredible.

If you want good hostels Eastern Europe and Portugal
Are the best bets. Otherwise it’s normal prices often

I'm planning on going for 2 months and I want to be back in Australia by Christmas, so mid-October is fairly likely. Mainly doing it at that time for football season.

Good time to start, especially if you have accommodation in the UK. September starts to cool down through the month plus accommodation should get cheaper after summer. If you go to Amsterdam definitely frequent the coffee shops if you are that way inclined. There's so many options in the other countries you listed, but I would recommend Positano or Tuscany(Italy), Brugges(Belgium)... Spain, Ive only been to Seville(last week) and you would have awesome tapas and bar life and very cheap.

If possible visit cities, but get out of them and see the the surrounds. You will find great food at very cheap prices and more friendly hospitality giving a more unique experience.

There's a reason I'm finishing in the Netherlands haha. I will probably be primarily visiting cities as I'm gonna be travelling by train, and mainly visiting for the cultural/historical sites and football games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back