Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

You're gonna have a blast man.

No doubt. I was born in England but I've lived in Australia since I was 1, family never traveled so I'm yet to leave the country since then. I finished high school last year so now I'm 18, living alone, working full time on a great wage and get 32 days holiday from my work. Because I work night shifts, with 1 week on, 1 week off, I can use 1 week of holiday to get 3 weeks off, 2 to get 5 off etc. So I'm using 28 days holiday to get 9 weeks off work and I can easily save up the 10 grand I need between now and August.

No doubt. I was born in England but I've lived in Australia since I was 1, family never traveled so I'm yet to leave the country since then. I finished high school last year so now I'm 18, living alone, working full time on a great wage and get 32 days holiday from my work. Because I work night shifts, with 1 week on, 1 week off, I can use 1 week of holiday to get 3 weeks off, 2 to get 5 off etc. So I'm using 28 days holiday to get 9 weeks off work and I can easily save up the 10 grand I need between now and August.
10 grand will serve you well. It’s a good amount. You might spend it all or you might come back with some but it should be plenty.

10 grand will serve you well. It’s a good amount. You might spend it all or you might come back with some but it should be plenty.

Yeah, plan is to just have a comfortable amount really. Whatever I don't spend can just go into my car loan.

How long for?
My personal favorite cities are Vienna, Edinburgh and Lisbon.
Just put yourself out there and it's easy to meet people, everyone is in the same boat.

9 weeks.

I'm planning on going for 2 months and I want to be back in Australia by Christmas, so mid-October is fairly likely. Mainly doing it at that time for football season.

Start having a look about now for any events that you might be interested in attending across the countries you're going to which then allows you to put together a rough itinerary of when you want to arrive in different places.

Also as a bit of a money saver start keeping an eye out for Ryanair cheap flight promotions as you can fly between those destinations for only a few bucks if you book at the right time. Also look at trains as a great way to travel and see the countryside or busses if your budget is blowing out.

There's a reason I'm finishing in the Netherlands haha. I will probably be primarily visiting cities as I'm gonna be travelling by train, and mainly visiting for the cultural/historical sites and football games.

Get yourself to a Feyenoord game if you can.

Giethoorn is a very nice and unique little town that's connected by a canal system. I always recommend it but it's a bit out of the way from the major cities in the Netherlands.

private-full-day-trip-to-giethoorn-from-amsterdam-in-amsterdam-564722.jpg

I always suggest that if your monetary state allows you to grab a rental car and do atleast a portion of your trip under your own steam.
Trains, buses may be a cheap option but nothing beats turning off the main roads and finding some little village off the beaten track. Switzerland can blow out your budget quickly but there are some gems to be found.
You will have a blast

I always suggest that if your monetary state allows you to grab a rental car and do atleast a portion of your trip under your own steam.
Trains, buses may be a cheap option but nothing beats turning off the main roads and finding some little village off the beaten track. Switzerland can blow out your budget quickly but there are some gems to be found.
You will have a blast
Yep a car is a must for europe. You havnt really done europe if you stuck to public transport.

Yep a car is a must for europe. You havnt really done europe if you stuck to public transport.

Only problem is getting a hire car at that age in Europe can prove troublesome, and I’ve had issues especially in Spain with over zealous companies trying to claim damage you didn’t do. Not that this should discourage you

Long way away but If you make it to Hamburg slide into my DM’s and I’ll take you along to an St Pauli game. One of the best March day atmospheres ive experienced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next year I can take 6 months long service leave. I am thinking of heading over to Europe, booking an apartment for six months and using it as a base for the time I'm there and just making short trips to different places. Is this possible? What would be a good city to base myself in? I would want a city that is central so I can see as much as possible. I'm thinking maybe Prague or Budapest. I was in both of these last year and loved them.

Next year I can take 6 months long service leave. I am thinking of heading over to Europe, booking an apartment for six months and using it as a base for the time I'm there and just making short trips to different places. Is this possible? What would be a good city to base myself in? I would want a city that is central so I can see as much as possible. I'm thinking maybe Prague or Budapest. I was in both of these last year and loved them.
Of course it's possible but all comes down to your budget and what time of year, obviously summer will be more expensive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How long for?
My personal favorite cities are Vienna, Edinburgh and Lisbon.
Just put yourself out there and it's easy to meet people, everyone is in the same boat.

Vienna? Really? I was there last year and thought it was quite bland and boring actually, especially compared to cities like Prague and Budapest. Salzburg was awesome.

Of course it's possible but all comes down to your budget and what time of year, obviously summer will be more expensive.

Cheers. So I won't have an issue visa-wise renting for that long? The other option would be to just rent apartments for one month at a time and move around a bit more.

Cheers. So I won't have an issue visa-wise renting for that long?
Oh I didnt consider Visa issues. Obviously a Schengan Visa is only for 90 days, but I think you could stretch that out by staying in other countries for periods.... Example, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the UK aren't Schengan so you could spend time there not eating into your Visa. If you have dual citizenship somewhere that opens even more up for you.

Oh I didnt consider Visa issues. Obviously a Schengan Visa is only for 90 days, but I think you could stretch that out by staying in other countries for periods.... Example, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the UK aren't Schengan so you could spend time there not eating into your Visa. If you have dual citizenship somewhere that opens even more up for you.

I have UK citizenship but I'm not sure how that now works with Brexit.

I would defo recommend Amsterdam as a base. Schipol airport is only 15 mins by train and it is one of the most central airports that flys everywhere after Heathrow. It’s close to Scandinavia, Belgium, Germany and France, so you could catch the train a lot, plus it’s only 25 mins to UK/IRE and an hr from Spain and Italy. And lastly, it’s an absolutely brilliant and fun city.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would defo recommend Amsterdam as a base. Schipol airport is only 15 mins by train and it is one of the most central airports that flys everywhere after Heathrow. It’s close to Scandinavia, Belgium, Germany and France, so you could catch the train a lot, plus it’s only 25 mins to UK/IRE and an hr from Spain and Italy. And lastly, it’s an absolutely brilliant and fun city. As far as visas go, if you can upfront the cash for 6 months/ 12 months they will give you some sort of special euro visa... God I’m jealous as.. want more than anything to go back to Europe.

I have UK citizenship but I'm not sure how that now works with Brexit.

Brexit hasn't changed anything yet, but Im not up to date with what will happen as it doesn't affect my visa in any way. It should help you for now.

Amsterdam is a great suggestion, but its a bit more than an hour to Italy/South France or Barcelona.. it's 2+ hours to all them, but you seem to prefer Eastern Europe IIRC.

I would defo recommend Amsterdam as a base. Schipol airport is only 15 mins by train and it is one of the most central airports that flys everywhere after Heathrow. It’s close to Scandinavia, Belgium, Germany and France, so you could catch the train a lot, plus it’s only 25 mins to UK/IRE and an hr from Spain and Italy. And lastly, it’s an absolutely brilliant and fun city.

Cheers. I should mention that my interests lay in Eastern/Central Europe much more than Western Europe. I love countries like Hungary, Czech Republic, Romania, Croatia and Slovenia. I will definitely visit Amsterdam though.

Brexit hasn't changed anything yet, but Im not up to date with what will happen as it doesn't affect my visa in any way. It should help you for now.

Come March 29th, UK passport/visa holders planning on visiting the Schengan Zone for travel would be treated the same as if they were coming from Australia, US, Canada etc. 90 days travel per 180 day period. Only a delay to Article 50 at this late stage would stop that from happening.

Further details here: https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...port-customs-uk-eu-roaming-ehic-a8531866.html

Cheers. I should mention that my interests lay in Eastern/Central Europe much more than Western Europe. I love countries like Hungary, Czech Republic, Romania, Croatia and Slovenia. I will definitely visit Amsterdam though.

Prague would be a good shout then. Easily in/out as a major airport and fairly central

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all
I’m thinking of heading off to the UK for a month in May / June
Camping my way around
For those that have been or lived there, what are the camp grounds like?

Hi all
I’m thinking of heading off to the UK for a month in May / June
Camping my way around
For those that have been or lived there, what are the camp grounds like?
Ive only stayed in sporting ovals around towns they had toilets and showers and were central
I had a Combi to sleep in but people were in tents

Remove this Banner Ad

Back