2019 Assistant Coaches Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to see Schoey and Monty last night at the club. Hearing them speak gave me some hope for the future.

Any insights you can share?

Any insights you can share?
Monty did.say he was just pipped by Chris Fagan for the Brisbane job and that he'd been in constant dialogue with CD for the past two years. Has high hopes for the defence and mentioned Dan and the young ones. Particularly mentioned our inability to score and the balance between attack and defend and the connection between the lines not being there. Quite impressive really. Schoey talked about his time at Port and how he didnt want to leave, the Freo move being a disaster, Taj, his hopes as a coach and the midfield. May I say he's still a good looking guy :D

Last edited:
Monty did.say he was just pipped by Chris Fagan for the Brisbane job and that he'd been in constant dialogue with CD for the past two years. Has high hopes for the defence and mentioned Dan and the young ones. Particularly mentioned our inability to score and the balance between attack and defend and the connection between the lines not being there. Quite impressive really. Schoey talked about his time at Port and how he didnt want to leave, the Freo move being a disaster, Taj, his hopes as a coach and the midfield. May I say he's still a good looking guy :D
Nice, thanks. Sounds like Monty has aspirations, and Schoey does too. Thank god we have turned over some coaches.

Schoey is claiming Burton and Watts for the midfield. He also wants midfielders drafted and he will reward young players for effort.

NEW PORT Adelaide midfield coach Jarrad Schofield will be making a case to include Hawthorn recruit Ryan Burton in an expanded on-ball brigade next season.
Schofield also believes utility Jack Watts could spend more time higher up the ground as the Power rejig their midfield unit following the departures of Jared Polec and Chad Wingard.
"Hopefully when we're going to the draft, if I'm being selfish, they might pick up three midfielders for me," Schofield said.
"The one thing I will be looking to add is greater depth to the midfield, so we're not just reliant on too few.
"They'll be some surprises because I'm all about rewarding young guys for effort."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-12/power-assistant-wants-exhawk-to-be-a-man-in-the-middle

Schofield being vocal about who he wants in his area of the ground. I like it. I also like that he noted the foot skills of the players he has suggested for the midfield - apparently accurate kicks to your forward line can be a thing.
Jack Watts for wing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Jack Watts for wing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Westhoff and Watts for wing. Tallest wingmen in the league.

With the 6-6-6 rule, one starts at CHB corner of the square, the other one at the CHF corner of the square at bounce down, and then they drift into wing back and wing forward roles.

Last edited:
Westhoff and Watts for wing. Tallest wingmen in the league.

With the 6-6-6 rule, one starts at CHB corner of the square the other one at the CHF corner of the square at bounce down and then they drift in wing back and wing forward roles.

I'm with you. It gives us so much flexibility and height all over the ground without really losing any mobility plus it moves Watts into a position where he can be more damaging.

It will be a match up nightmare for opposition coaches when they drift forward or back.

Schofield to revitalise our midfield in 2019 and get us back into the lower half of the 8.

That ratbag organisation St Kilda will dump Richardson, the last bloke they prematurely poached in a desperate move, and come knocking for Schofield mid to late November 2019.

2020 we get another nude-nuts Hinkley administration.

Schofield to revitalise our midfield in 2019 and get us back into the lower half of the 8.

That ratbag organisation St Kilda will dump Richardson, the last bloke they prematurely poached in a desperate move, and come knocking for Schofield mid to late November 2019.

St Kilda will knife Richardson for Ratten IMO. Ratten isn't there to be an assistant long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schofield being vocal about who he wants in his area of the ground. I like it. I also like that he noted the foot skills of the players he has suggested for the midfield - apparently accurate kicks to your forward line can be a thing.
Wonder how long before Ken is moved to a desk job?

Nah surely we can encourage them to take Voss instead

Lade had a good footy brain but when he spoke he didn't exactly fill you with confidence. Schoey seems to articulate his thoughts a lot better. But I think the same about voss and bass who have always spoken well.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back