Review Does 2018 hurt anymore?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aye,

Pretty simple question really, but I'm finally in a good place with 2018.
I spent all this year thinking we were going to be Premiers, even booked my holiday to end early so I could fly back for the GF and had to unfortunately sit in a cafe in London looking at the app during the Prelim in disbelief (and Ticketek took my $5!!)

The GF was a bittersweet moment, sure the Pies lost the game in a classic fashion, but I felt like that was our game.
I was always a little concerned about the Eagles, on a dry deck we may have been in trouble but I knew they would start slow and who knows how a better oiled machine like us could have kept up the pressure and not let the Eagles back into it?

But now, in November, maybe after getting Lynch- I just feel better about it, I feel at peace and I actually think we are a very solid chance to win next season.
Embarrassment and hurt plus a A+ player is enough.

Still hurts. Even making the GF and losing is better than losing the PF to bloody Collingwood. You don’t get many opportunities to win flags, and far less to go B2B - and we will almost certainly never have a better chance to do that than we did in 2018. I could’ve dealt with giving it everything and falling up short, instead there’s a lot of what-ifs that revolve around the actions of players and coaches.
But it hurts less than it would’ve if a) Collingwood won the flag, and b) we didn’t win in 2017.

I absolutely agree that we had the best chance to b2b, and we threw away that... but outside of the Lions, great sides need to lose one somewhere... I just feel that losing 2018 means we will be hurting to win more again

All the Hawk boys say that even in 2015, 2012 was burning them

Aye,

Pretty simple question really, but I'm finally in a good place with 2018.
I spent all this year thinking we were going to be Premiers, even booked my holiday to end early so I could fly back for the GF and had to unfortunately sit in a cafe in London looking at the app during the Prelim in disbelief (and Ticketek took my $5!!)

The GF was a bittersweet moment, sure the Pies lost the game in a classic fashion, but I felt like that was our game.
I was always a little concerned about the Eagles, on a dry deck we may have been in trouble but I knew they would start slow and who knows how a better oiled machine like us could have kept up the pressure and not let the Eagles back into it?

But now, in November, maybe after getting Lynch- I just feel better about it, I feel at peace and I actually think we are a very solid chance to win next season.
Embarrassment and hurt plus a A+ player is enough.

We were letting teams back into it all year towards to the back end of the season. Wasted year TBH.

Yes 2018 hurts.

A lot.

The only saving grace is that 2017 was shock to me.

And we were the best team in 2018, and have improved in the off season. So hopefully we'll do it in 2019. Hopefully.

Hurts - the Hawks qualifying win we were in cruise control, Dusty peaking. The two weeks leading up to that prelim were just disastrous and the result showed

I consider us even, winning 2017 as the 2nd best team and losing 2018 as the best team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was worried we were going too hot in form too early, similar to Freo/North 2015 and Collingwood 2011
nope we did it perfectly. the problem during prelim final week was astbury gave half the group gastro + dusty had the knee issue and thats why we lost

play it again and we win by 10 goals. just bad luck but we will go back to back in 19/20

nope we did it perfectly. the problem during prelim final week was astbury gave half the group gastro + dusty had the knee issue and thats why we lost

play it again and we win by 10 goals. just bad luck but we will go back to back in 19/20
We looked tired going into the finals series
I think the gastro did us in the end, but having the Hawks in week 1 helped

If we can win in 2019, then 2018 will be forgotten very quickly. Very much like how 2017 erased all those elimination final losses in 13-15.
For me, 2013-2015 hurts more now than what 2018 does. Stuff that, losing to Carlton after they finished 9th in our very first final in 12 years. 43-0 well before the end of the first quarter to Port Adelaide says enough about that loss and then cap it off with 8th placed North Melbourne, who treated us like a joke for so many years resting like 10 players in Round 23 before waltzing onto the MCG and ending our season.

Those years were much more scarring than what 2018 was. At least we dominated the entire season and won a final before capitulating to a top 4 Collingwood in the PF. It is an upset that took me a while to get over, but I think I am now over it. 2013-2015 has been atoned for with the 2017 Premiership, but those memories still burn for me.

We looked tired going into the finals series
I think the gastro did us in the end, but having the Hawks in week 1 helped
we were saving energy in the last month and half of the h and a season.

we beat hawks easily and wouldve flogged pies if we didnt get the virus crap. eddie probably set it up

we were saving energy in the last month and half of the h and a season.

we beat hawks easily and wouldve flogged pies if we didnt get the virus crap. eddie probably set it up
If we were, I don't like.playing God with our form like that

in 2017 we needed to win the last game against the saints to be top 4 . next year we should just do what we did in 2017 again, even if we’re few games clear just play to win like top 4 depends on it
Agreed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back