moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
I was surprised by the penalty try. Not because I didn't think it justified (under the laws, it was), but because you seldom see them given. The Kiwis had the better of nearly all the stats (made more metres, more tackle busts, fewer tackles, etc) except the score-board. Which tells you that England defended well, and NZ didn't make the most of their chances. I expect both sides to be better next week; I hope to go, Liverpool is only down the road.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Ritchie McCaw used to lay all over the rock and never got penalised.

What about that pathetic yellow card yesterday

Neutral refs mate, not like the continual s**t dished out to the Kiwis.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Neutral refs mate, not like the continual s**t dished out to the Kiwis.

Sutton is the ref on Sunday at Anfield. Ticket arrived in the post this morning.

And, y'know, you say that, but if it was up to me, I'd have an Aussie ref for every England game if I could. But not Sutton, for preference! :)

Last edited:
May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Well done, England. Have only seen highlights. Could easily have been called a knockon for the last try, but given last week that was never going to happen.

George Burgess is an absolute dog. Eye gouging is a weak, cowardly act on a defenceless player.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Well you had the neutral ref you wanted, AuckMel.

I thought the gouge looked pretty bad. I don't see how he can talk his way out of that. But a well-deserved victory, and it has been nice to see the SL lads doing well; I find the "the only decent players England have are those from the NRL" narrative pretty annoying. So a series win without, allegedly,our two best players (Widdop and Sam B) is very pleasing.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Link

Gold Coast has added Mal Meninga to their books as the club's head of performance and culture in a bid to turn around its fortunes.

The league Immortal will move from Canberra to the glitter strip immediately to take up a new role that won't interfere with his Kangaroos coaching commitments.

"I can feel there is something special building at the Titans," Meninga said.

"The NRL needs rugby league and the Titans to be strong in the area. It is one of the game's heartlands and it is no secret that it is under threat from rival codes who are investing heavily to own the territory.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Would like to see the NRL really come out and back the Titans as the 2nd SEQ team. Hopefully this is a start.

It's not often the NRL get one over the AFL, but in this instance I think they can. With the Suns pretty much starting again after failing to take advantage of all their draft picks and money advantages, Meninga is the perfect person to put at the Titans to at least get them on the front foot off the field..

Last edited:

Greenstar5

All Australian
Jun 21, 2017
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
It's not often the NRL get one over the AFL, but in this instance I think they can. With the Suns pretty much starting again after failing to take advantage of all their draft picks and money advantages, Meninga is the perfect person to put at the Titans to at least get them on the front foot off the field..

Agreed. Always seems to be talking about how we get a 2nd Brisbane team in the comp. It is probably a while off. But right now we have 2 SEQ teams that compete against each other rather than working together. The fixture is bad at times. They basically shouldn't play in Queensland on the same weekend. Anyways that's just 1 small thing I have noticed.

Like you said hope Mal can come in and do some good.

As a code, we should aim to be dominating SEQ. Make it hard for the AFL.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Aussie refs don't send people off! Red cards are like hen's teeth in the NRL!

That's absolutely true. Very gutless, but in fairness to him he didn't have the video ref, like he did so adamantly last week, in his ear insisting foul play had occured.

Jordan Rapana gone until rd11 after injuring himself in the test.

That's totally fine , it's not like he's our best player or anything............................................................

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Jordan Rapana gone until rd11 after injuring himself in the test.

That's totally fine , it's not like he's our best player or anything............................................................

Yeah, let's just not bother with internationals in case players get injured...

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Yes, and of course there's been a bit more emphasis this year with it being the centenary. Unfortunately the game didn't really live up to the occasion. But the Kiwis played well, and certainly showed that you can't hope to match them without a full of proper props, as England tried to do. George Williams has weaknesses in his game, but he does at least offer a threat. Myler offered nothing, and Ratchford can feel pretty hard done by for not getting more game time.

Where did i say we should never play internationals ??

Last edited by a moderator:

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

They are very much an afterthought here to NRL club and Origin games. Very different to rugby union where internationals are seen as the pinnacle.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Yes, and of course there's been a bit more emphasis this year with it being the centenary. Unfortunately the game didn't really live up to the occasion. But the Kiwis played well, and certainly showed that you can't hope to match them without a full of proper props, as England tried to do. George Williams has weaknesses in his game, but he does at least offer a threat. Myler offered nothing, and Ratchford can feel pretty hard done by for not getting more game time.

I've only watched the 1st half so far and you guys looked pretty sharp and probably should've been in front. Lucky for us Thaler got the boot. Kiwis did well to hang in and hit back in emphatic fashion. Looking forward to the 2nd half.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
They are very much an afterthought here to NRL club and Origin games. Very different to rugby union where internationals are seen as the pinnacle.

Yes, sadly, that's true. Still, they are talking about a Kangaroo tour, so I suppose that's something.

Back