Player Watch Nathan Murphy (Retired 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a crap judge of these things, but to me he looks physically similar to a young Scott Pendlebury, who now plays at 91 kgs.

I don’t see it myself because Murphy has a triangle body shape that allows for more bulk through the core, chest and shoulders whereas Pendles has always struck me as a slimmer body typing, IMO, but for arguments sake let’s say you’re bang on.

At 195cm Murphy would be around two inches taller than Pendles so it would surprise me if he played lighter than a guy that much shorter that he shares a body shape/ type with.

I do find it somewhat perverse to speculate on this stuff so to simplify it a little I just can’t see Murphy playing that small especially in a defensive role.

I do find it somewhat perverse to speculate on this stuff so to simplify it a little I just can’t see Murphy playing that small especially in a defensive role.
Just to add, how he physically develops will have a fair bit to do with the role he settles into. Eg. Crisps move to defence has meant a greater focus on strength training. To me Murphy's skill set appears so broad that he could end up in a pretty wide range of roles. From the snippets I've seen, he's got a midfielders awareness in traffic and disposal skills, reads it in the air like a class defender, or could become an Adelaide Tom Lynch style hit up forward.

I'm a crap judge of these things, but to me he looks physically similar to a young Scott Pendlebury, who now plays at 91 kgs.
You reckon Pendles would be at 91kgs if he was 195cm instead of 190?

You reckon Pendles would be at 91kgs if he was 195cm instead of 190?

To be honest, I completely misunderstood Scodog's comment. I don't pay much attention to height and weight of players.

90kgs sounds pretty big to me, so I thought that Scodog was suggesting that Murphy wouldn't get to that weight, rather than suggesting that he'd get significantly heavier.

To be honest, I completely misunderstood Scodog's comment. I don't pay much attention to height and weight of players.

90kgs sounds pretty big to me, so I thought that Scodog was suggesting that Murphy wouldn't get to that weight, rather than suggesting that he'd get significantly heavier.

Be interesting to see what he's listed at this preseason. When first listed he was 190cm and 79kg's. I'd assume he would have been well into the mid-high 80's in terms of weight by seasons end and with further gains preseason possible, and from the scuttlebutt it appears he'll be in the 193-195cm range.

When drafted, Patty Cripps was 191cm and 91kg's. In his 2nd season he was listed as 193cm and 90kg's. He's currently listed as 195 & 93 so he's grown quite a bit but hasn't added much weight. Bontempelli was 193 & 84. He started his 2nd season up at 90kgs and he's now 193 & 93 so he hasn't grown at all but he's added a fair bit of weight. Only consistent thing is that they all develop differently.

Be interesting to see what he's listed at this preseason. When first listed he was 190cm and 79kg's. I'd assume he would have been well into the mid-high 80's in terms of weight by seasons end and with further gains preseason possible, and from the scuttlebutt it appears he'll be in the 193-195cm range.

When drafted, Patty Cripps was 191cm and 91kg's. In his 2nd season he was listed as 193cm and 90kg's. He's currently listed as 195 & 93 so he's grown quite a bit but hasn't added much weight. Bontempelli was 193 & 84. He started his 2nd season up at 90kgs and he's now 193 & 93 so he hasn't grown at all but he's added a fair bit of weight. Only consistent thing is that they all develop differently.

I think he has scope to get over 90kgs with his height as long as he is committed.

I know they are not set to train till next week but in the "Irish Video" you see both Madgen and Murphy training, they are also on the Instagram post with Stephenson. Its a good sign.

Last edited:
The kid is 18 about to turn 19. He has plenty of time to built his frame. He ultimately not play as a KPP, but the potential is there if that is what they want to do with him. That said, I wouldn’t. I would look at either Lever or Gunston as his role models.

Big fan of the Gunston comparison; one of my favourite non Collingwood players. Love the way he goes about it and if Murphy can turn out half as good as him playing tall, high HF I'd be rapt.

Not quite as tall as him yet (190 v 193) but he could get there if he grows a little bit more.

Big fan of the Gunston comparison; one of my favourite non Collingwood players. Love the way he goes about it and if Murphy can turn out half as good as him playing tall, high HF I'd be rapt.

Not quite as tall as him yet (190 v 193) but he could get there if he grows a little bit more.
Wait till the new player profiles are released, because there’s a good chance he’ll be listed at 192/3 or bigger.

Wait till the new player profiles are released, because there’s a good chance he’ll be listed at 192/3 or bigger.
Unless things have changed with our website, if we wait until the new player profiles are released, we could see his age rise to 43.

Nathan told me the club expects he gets to ~90kg and ~195cm. Not KPP size but a great size for a 3rd tall down back or up forward. Given his athleticism, he does give us flexibility. Agreed, a nice prospect.

What has this world come to when a 195 cm player isn’t KPP!!!!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see him more of a Jeremy Howe type but slower (e.g. an intercept marking back flanker). I don't know about the Gunston comparison.

also one of the best distance runners at the club, so eventual midfield not out of the question.

His marking, awareness and kicking is v good, so I imagined a Brendan Goddard type role for him, though would love to hear the coaching staff's view on this...

Hope he doesn’t turn in to a Goddard flog. Appreciate the skill, hate the temperament.

Although I’m calling bullshit because there’s no way he’ll play at 90kg with his shoulders I have to clarify. In what alternate reality are we living where 195/90 is not KPP size?? That is literally as big or bigger than every gun KPP of the past 50 years aside from Buddy... This industry is in serious trouble if these are the norms of those on the inside!

Hypothetically Nathan Murphy gets to 195cm/90kg. He's currently listed at 79/80kg. He is very finely built
That's simply 3rd Fwd/Defender dimensions

But KPP's these days are all much heavier/stronger than this (from the club websites)
Josh Kennedy 196cm/102kg
Jack Darling 191cm/95kg
Ben Brown 200cm/101kg
Jack Riewoldt 193cm/92kg
Rory Lobb 207cm/104kg
Jesse Hogan 195cm/100kg

Stephen May 193cm/101kg
Alex Rance 194cm/95kg
Jeremy McGovern 196cm/99kg
Lynden Dunn 192cm/102kg
Darcy Moore 203cm/102kg

Last edited:
Hypothetically Nathan Murphy gets to 195cm/90kg. He's currently listed at 79/80kg. He is very finely built

But KPP's these days are all much heavier/stronger than this (from the club websites)
Josh Kennedy 196cm/102kg
Jack Darling 191cm/95kg
Ben Brown 200cm/101kg
Jack Riewoldt 193cm/92kg
Rory Lobb 207cm/104kg
Jesse Hogan 195cm/100kg

Stephen May 193cm/101kg
Alex Rance 194cm/95kg
Lynden Dunn 192cm/102kg
Darcy Moore 203cm/102kg

So he could end up in the Alex Rance range. Think that would work.

Josh Kennedy 196cm/102kg
Jack Darling 191cm/95kg
Ben Brown 200cm/101kg
Jack Riewoldt 193cm/92kg
Rory Lobb 207cm/104kg
Jesse Hogan 195cm/100kg

Stephen May 193cm/101kg
Alex Rance 194cm/95kg
Lynden Dunn 192cm/102kg
Darcy Moore 203cm/102kg

Unless Murphy has a Matthew Lappin metabolism once he’s grown into his body he’ll be heavier than you suggest. Look at Moore who is a lean body shape yet he’s now supposedly 100kg plus...

Is it exciting to consider Murphy will/ may reach KP size? I’m not sure, but it’s where the real debate is not the incorrect assessment of his future playing weight.

Last edited:
He’s about 2cm taller than Madgen in that pic posted a few pages back.

I'm always cautious about drawing too many conclusions from a photo but there've now been several which consistently seem to demonstrate how much he's grown.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back