Games & Recreation JK Rowling The Sexual Deviant - The Harry Potter Discussion thread (SPOILERS)

Remove this Banner Ad

Heads up for you all, the harry potter films are on channel 7 every Saturday starting tomorrow with Harry potter and the philosophers stone.
I rewatched the film series during the late 2017 reruns.

Felt that Stone and Chamber had stood up rather well, and things started to slip with Goblet and Phoenix. By Goblet, the films start becoming conclusion-conscious, and the teen elements (whilst appreciated on release) may date more quickly. The formula fatigue sets in come Goblet, at the same time as the films extend beyond the initial drawcard of the Hogwarts trio stakes.

I'd rank them (as films, not adaptations) like this:

1. Prisoner of Azkaban 9/10
2. Philosopher's Stone 8/10
3. Chamber of Secrets 7.5/10
4. Deathly Hallows Part 2 7.5/10
5. Half Blood Prince 7/10
6. Goblet of Fire 7/10
7. Order of the Phoenix 6.5/10
8. Deathly Hallows Part 1 6.5/10
Do the quiz in the OP and hook yourselves up with a Deathly Hallows badge :thumbsu:

Lots of HP stuff back out in Kmart, gonna buy some for the babies at Xmas and start reading them the books. They’ll be 3 and 4 soon.
I tried reading it to my 4 year old niece, and it didn't work. She's still a bit too young, and she needs pictures. So I'm going to try tales of beedle the bard for her christmas present.

I tried reading it to my 4 year old niece, and it didn't work. She's still a bit too young, and she needs pictures. So I'm going to try tales of beedle the bard for her christmas present.
I’m really gonna read it for myself lol

There’s an illustrated version which also includes dumbledores notes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We went to Harry Potter world in Osaka on our holiday a few weeks back and picked up some of the every flavor jelly beans from the in park Honeydukes (they are just jelly belly ones anyone) Jesus some of those flavors are rough
Awesome, what flavours?

JK Rowling is just a rich centrist who is no more informed about politics than your average punter, but has a huge platform.

Honestly, she manages to still do incredibly dumb stuff, like create an antisemitic race of fantasy creatures, then rails against Corbyn. Coz alleged antisemitism. An absolute plonker when it comes to politics, but a very talented YA novelist.

JK Rowling is just a rich centrist who is no more informed about politics than your average punter, but has a huge platform.

Honestly, she manages to still do incredibly dumb stuff, like create an antisemitic race of fantasy creatures, then rails against Corbyn. Coz alleged antisemitism. An absolute plonker when it comes to politics, but a very talented YA novelist.

Does she claim to be more informed? She certainly passes opinion but im not sure ive ever seen her claim to be an expert.

Twitter.

She regularly has a normal one and melts down about Corbyn.

Yeh, again, she has a twitter and she uses it, does she claim to be an expert? Do you have any tweets where she says she knows more or is more informed? This sounds to me like literally every twitter user ever where she expresses her opinion on a subject, you seem to be giving it more air and validity due to how big her audience is. That doesn't make her a subject matter expert. I can vouch for her having a lot more knowledge and interest in UK politics than I or just about anyone living outside of the UK has but even to me id be reading her posts as an interested and engaged onlooker, not a political advisor or expert.

Her books (in my opinion) actually did a pretty good job of simplifying some very complex themes and political issues (racism etc.) and presenting them in a manner young adults could understand and draw parallels with, whilst also making it clear there is a lot more to those things than can be conveyed in a couple of books.

I still remember getting book #5 on release as a gift. Felt bigger than most dictionaries and encyclopedias at the time (I was a kid), was absolutely blown away.

Umbridge made me shake with rage while reading it.

She's part of the gentrified 1%ers now.....So that's fairly understandable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back