Buddy's regret

How would you characterise his decision?

• Understandable at the time

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • One that would lead to regrets

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • An unmitigated disaster

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • A nightmare from which he cannot leave

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Should have gone to GWS and married Jessinta

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In hindsight I'm sure Bud regrets leaving Melbourne and the newscorpse scum following him up and down Chapel street like blowflies to a chop. He's got the girl, he's got the money and he's got peace and quiet to pursue his hobbies. Whatever they are.

Depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a forward at the peak of their powers in 2019 then Buddy is probably ahead of all of them.

Not even close. Dunstall, Lockett, Ablett & Co played on those bog heap sh!thole grounds with waterlogged footys and were kicking 100 plus regularly. Not to mention having full backs with an open license to do whatever they want. These days forwards get a free for getting sneezed on, especially Franklin. Not saying he isnt great, but I dont compare him to those other guys.

Not even close. Dunstall, Lockett, Ablett & Co played on those bog heap sh!thole grounds with waterlogged footys and were kicking 100 plus regularly. Not to mention having full backs with an open license to do whatever they want. These days forwards get a free for getting sneezed on, especially Franklin. Not saying he isnt great, but I dont compare him to those other guys.

The other forward s listed are short people. Ablett is only 185cm, so he couldn't play as a key forward in 2019.

The other forward s listed are short people. Ablett is only 185cm, so he couldn't play as a key forward in 2019.

So Jack Riewoldt could win a Coleman and be named All Australian full forward, but Ablett Snr wouldn’t cut it as a key forward in the modern game?

Ablett probably had 5 kegs on a guy like Riewoldt, had ground tricks at least as good as Buddy’s and with an insanely powerful spring, could mark the ball almost as well anyone who’s played. On natural ability, he’d go just fine.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d like to say nyar nyar but I’m in the same boat now.

I just stick my middle finger up when he does s**t like that now
I can't do it, Carey used to do the same to us and he just fed off the hate/vitriol. You just have to take your hate off to these boys. ( Carey/Bud)

So Jack Riewoldt could win a Coleman and be named All Australian full forward, but Ablett Snr wouldn’t cut it as a key forward in the modern game?

Ablett probably had 5 kegs on a guy like Riewoldt, had ground tricks at least as good as Buddy’s and with an insanely powerful spring, could mark the ball almost as well anyone who’s played. On natural ability, he’d go just fine.

Riewoldt is 193cm which is key position size. 185cm is only an average sized midfielder in 2018. Look at the former great key forwards, if they are not over 192cm then they would not be great key forwards in 2018/2019.

In hindsight I'm sure Bud regrets leaving Melbourne and the newscorpse scum following him up and down Chapel street like blowflies to a chop. He's got the girl, he's got the money and he's got peace and quiet to pursue his hobbies. Whatever they are.
Yeah but don't they always say it is the end of the September 'dance' they always want to win.. however he might be peaceful enough with only one...

Riewoldt is 193cm which is key position size. 185cm is only an average sized midfielder in 2018. Look at the former great key forwards, if they are not over 192cm then they would not be great key forwards in 2018/2019.

I know what you are getting at but Ablett would have coped pretty well stuck up in a KPF post but I'd suggest he'd have been run off a wing in the modern game as Blight played him for a few years.

Don't reckon he will have as much as regrets as Ablett, left the club his father played at missed out on another premiership and possibly more if he stayed, to an expansion club that never looked close to making finals and under his leadership has been a complete rabble, and then crawls back to his old team with his tail between his legs just as their premiership window has closed nail and bolted shut

I believe Ablett would have stayed at Geelong if handled better by the coach at the time. Ablett jr is the last player you alienate and keep on the outter if you actually want him to play for you. Thompson mishandled that. I believe Ablett jr would have stayed if handled by a reasonable person.

The thing with Ablett is that he wasn't a full-forward at his best. Being put full-forward was his later career. Very similar to Leigh Matthews being played as a full-forward in his later career. Before 1993 and during Ablett's peak, he was positioned more on the wing or as a forward flanker. The other thing to note is that guys like Paul Salmon (200cm+) were kicking smaller bags than Ablett running along the wing... let alone when Ablett was put at full-forward and kicking ton after ton after ton (again, these tons were made during his twilight years - he was older than Buddy Franklin is now when he did this three times in a row). For example, in 1993 when Salmon was on one end, and Ablett was on the other, Salmon kicked ten goals... Ablett kicked 14. He was a freak.

ref: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/G/Gary_Ablett0.html#19930

Back