Player Watch Sam McLarty (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see Sam was a love child on this board.

I liked him and hoped for the best, but what I saw of him playing it doesn't surprise me that he is de-listed.

He sounds like a great kid though so i wish him all the best.
I had to quote this as it is my feeling exactly.

Possibly a great bloke but seemed to struggle in the few games I saw of him.

Agreed, always looked a bit too cumbersome to me. I didn't see much of his first season though and I think most of the hype for him was generated there.

Agreed, always looked a bit too cumbersome to me. I didn't see much of his first season though and I think most of the hype for him was generated there.
That sums up what I have seen of him.

Appears the club feels similar.

I can see Sam was a love child on this board.

I liked him and hoped for the best, but what I saw of him playing it doesn't surprise me that he is de-listed.

He sounds like a great kid though so i wish him all the best.

Yep, sometimes the evidence for why a player wasn't retained is right before your eyes if you're looking. Even if key position players take longer to hit peak they still have to show enough during their development years.

Hearing impairment has zilch to do with Sam's delisting, it's an assumption based on ignorance (with all due respect).

Dimmatina played with his hearing-aid off and did just fine.

Disclosure: I suffered industrial hearing loss during my days in the military service (tanks and jets can get really loud) and subsequently played team sport just fine. There are easy ways to overcome any potential communication barrier on game day.

I was one who wondered about the hearing issue, but I acknowledged that I was being speculative about it and conceded my own ignorance.

I never thought that Sam was a star in the making, but I thought he showed some promise in 2017 and I suppose I've just been trying to 'fill in the blanks' about why he wasn't given another year.

I was one who wondered about the hearing issue, but I acknowledged that I was being speculative about it and conceded my own ignorance.

I never thought that Sam was a star in the making, but I thought he showed some promise in 2017 and I suppose I've just been trying to 'fill in the blanks' about why he wasn't given another year.

Yes JB, you were very clear in your post. You raised his hearing loss as a possibility but clarified that you didn't know this as fact in the same sentence.

A few posts later (in the finest BigFooty tradition) posters ran with it and had almost established the hearing loss as the reason he was let go because he wouldn't be able to hear speech in a packed MCG.

Would the club really need a few years before it could ascertain this?

The delisting would not have anything to do with his hearing issues. The club would have known the limitations that would cause before drafting him.

It sounds like he’s just been squeezed out which is unfortunate. Hope he gets picked up or finds a decent role at VFL level.

Doubt that. It be more I guess Bringing In the 2 Irish Lads and Getting Kelly who it looks they rate Higher then McLarty

I watched just about All his VFL Games. Yes he Struggled in Some Games but also was in our Best Players in others.

Just watch the Port Game in the Rain late in the VFL Season

With the limited number of KPPs you can have on a list you need to make sure the ones you have are quality.
Fair point. Haven't seem enough of him personally but I am surprised at his delistment. He was effectively our first draft pick and there were claims that if not for injury he would have gone earlier in the draft. Whatever it was hoped he would be, was not to be, and McLarty is now black and white history. I am sure that clubs would have been informed of his availability yet there appears to have been a shortage of offers. Perhaps McLarty is much more ordinary than many of us believed. Are we on BF in fact not good judges of our own horseflesh - do we get it wrong far too often?

Fair point. Haven't seem enough of him personally but I am surprised at his delistment. He was effectively our first draft pick and there were claims that if not for injury he would have gone earlier in the draft. Whatever it was hoped he would be, was not to be, and McLarty is now black and white history. I am sure that clubs would have been informed of his availability yet there appears to have been a shortage of offers. Perhaps McLarty is much more ordinary than many of us believed. Are we on BF in fact not good judges of our own horseflesh - do we get it wrong far too often?
I only seen him a few times and looked 'meh' to me, writing was on the wall when we lost every KB we had and he still couldn't get a game.

I only seen him a few times and looked 'meh' to me, writing was on the wall when we lost every KB we had and he still couldn't get a game.

The Stupid Thing was he played KB all his 1st Season then all of a Sudden he Sent Forward and in Ruck so Unless Cox was Injured he was Struggling to get a Game Regardless

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shame, i had high hopes for Sam and i thought he spoke very well the few times he was interviewed.

Obviously the powers that be know better than we do when it comes to these things.

All the best for the future Sam wherever that takes you.

And thank you for your contribution to the Collingwood Football Club.

The Stupid Thing was he played KB all his 1st Season then all of a Sudden he Sent Forward and in Ruck so Unless Cox was Injured he was Struggling to get a Game Regardless
I certainly couldn't understand their thinking, you'd think after we'd lost every KB on the list they'd at the very least send him back to defense in the VFL just in case we needed him, and we would have if Goldy didn't perform above expectations, just made no sense to me, hard to be critical of the powers that be considering the season we had though.

My son was talking to one of our f/s last night at the Harp and he said the main reason Sam was delisted was that he had a very poor diet so obviously hadn’t met the club’s standards in nutrition.

My son was talking to one of our f/s last night at the Harp and he said the main reason Sam was delisted was that he had a very poor diet so obviously hadn’t met the club’s standards in nutrition.

That's very surprising if true.

I feel like I should write "if" in bold and caps, Tradedraft style!

I mean, the kid wasn't exactly lean like Pendles so I can see it being possible, but he hardly seemed like the unprofessional type.

That’s seems like a rather odd reason to be delisted. Like, “Hey Sam, we think you’ve got some talent, and we like your aggression, but you eat too many pies, so see ya!”

:drunk:

That’s seems like a rather odd reason to be delisted. Like, “Hey Sam, we think you’ve got some talent, and we like your aggression, but you eat too many pies, so see ya!”

:drunk:

I get the angle, but two points I’d consider are does he have enough talent to overcome a poor diet? Isn’t two years long enough to address it? Personally if it’s true I’d prefer a no nonsense approach to something like diet because it’s that important, IMO.

We also have full time dieticians and nutiritionists working for the club. If players disregard elements of their advice, especially guys who are learning what it takes at the top level, why bother employing them?

Last edited:
two things on Sam.

Firstly on his hearing: I have no idea if this was a factor, but you certainly don't have to invoke his disability to explain his delisting, as there were some pretty obvious flaws: he lacked mobility, and as a forward his marking was sporadic and he didn't find enough of the footy on a consistent enough basis.

Secondly the diet thing does sounds interesting and plausible to me. I have previously posted that I would have given him another year, having read him the riot act on weight and conditioning cause to my eye untrained eye, two years in the system and he didnt look AFL conditioned. Now if you naturally have some huge tank, or are very mobile or are such a great markologist that you pluck everything in sight (McGovern), then maybe you can get away with a few extra kilos. Now maybe the club already read him the riot act about diet and conditioning after year 1, and he didnt heed the warning? Who knows?

The diet suggestion makes sense, and it's very important. The diet is what one needs to combine with the training stimulus in order to achieve fitness. You can't out-train a crap diet. An aspiring professional has no excuse.

That's very surprising if true.

I feel like I should write "if" in bold and caps, Tradedraft style!

I mean, the kid wasn't exactly lean like Pendles so I can see it being possible, but he hardly seemed like the unprofessional type.

Agree. All we heard how Professional McLarty was and to hear he wasn't

Remove this Banner Ad

Back