Not open for further replies.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
If you want a laugh, post no 1 on page 194 in I’ve lost faith in Hinkley thread. I’m sure Triggy wrote that.

I think there is a lot to take away from West Coast's success this year. It looks like there was an advantage to setting their home ground dimensions to match the MCG. If we extend that principle and say that to make it as fair as possible, all major grounds should have the same dimensions. The only way to achieve that is to find a standard dimension that can fit into all the major grounds.

I think the SCG would be the shortest and Skilled the narrowest, so it might be something like the boundary lines for all grounds should be set to the length of the SCG and the width of Skilled. That may sound horrible, but if we could get used to that it would be as fair as you are going to get.
Optus stadium is not the same size as the MCG, not sure why this keeps getting trotted out. Optus is 165x130, MCG is 160x141. AO is 167x124, so Optus is actually closer to AO size. Might explain why WCE play well here.

They didn't play well here this year

We rolled them with half a side and if it wasn't for 3 major injuries in the third quarter port would of rolled them by five goals

So what could we actually do to reduce "home ground" advantage in a Grand Final?

Dimensions might help, I'm not sold it's that simple. NFL and NBA also see a home ground advantage, from very quick research something like 60% win, going up to 65% in finals, they use standard size fields/courts right?

I think it's probably a mix of ground dimensions, noise, routine etc.

A few different solutions...

Scrap the GF parade for the visiting team, we could travel a bit later then or don't scrap it, but if the Victorian team finishes lower, have it/one in the higher teams state so that the Vic team travels in GF week.

Why not force the Victorian team to stay in a hotel just outside of Melbourne for the night before the game, small things might add up, different bed, different food, not with family and home comforts etc.

Get rid of the coin toss and give it to the higher placed non-Victorian team.

Prelims Thursday and Friday to ensure a 7 day break.

So what could we actually do to reduce "home ground" advantage in a Grand Final?

Dimensions might help, I'm not sold it's that simple. NFL and NBA also see a home ground advantage, from very quick research something like 60% win, going up to 65% in finals, they use standard size fields/courts right?

Scrap the GF parade for the visiting team, we could travel a bit later then or don't scrap it, but if the Victorian team finishes lower, have it/one in the higher teams state so that the Vic team travels in GF week.

Why not force the Victorian team to stay in a hotel just outside of Melbourne for the night before the game, small things might add up, different bed, different food, not with family and home comforts etc.

The GF parade in the home state is a great idea

More tickets for away team and subsidised travel.

No grand final parade unless away team agrees

Ensure a seven day break

Victorian clubs travel as much as possible in home and away season.

More emphases on Victorian home ground umpiring issues

These are things that can be done now to mitigate the unfair playing field that currently exists.

Umpires decided as a joint consensus by both competing teams. Each club has the right to replace one umpire mid game if that club feels they are being unfairly treated.

Applies to all finals until the AFL can get their s**t together

The GF parade in the home state is a great idea

Right, why should the higher ranked team have to travel in GF week, have an event in the highest teams state, highest ranking team will still have to fly once in GF week the lower team twice, maybe they even spend the night for a joint Brownlow function or something and both teams fly out to the GF at around the same time.

They'd then have to maybe have a training session away from home, shift their routine around, sleep in another bed for a night, the same as the travelling non-Victorian team does.

More tickets for away team and subsidised travel.

No grand final parade unless away team agrees

Ensure a seven day break

Victorian clubs travel as much as possible in home and away season.

More emphases on Victorian home ground umpiring issues

These are things that can be done now to mitigate the unfair playing field that currently exists.

I like the travel thing, the AFL should send MCG tenants away more frequently later in the season, it looks like a few of them do in 2019 but Richmond with 7 games in a row at the MCG to finish the year?

7 Day break is an easy one and should be a must, the travelling teams schedule is compromised enough with the GF week schedule, trying to fit it all in 6 days isn't right. Easy enough for Collingwood to have a morning session and then go to the Parade and then go home to unwind or back to the club or whatever their plans are.

Travelling teams have to recover from the flight, train elsewhere and then sit around a hotel or be out in public until the game.

This is a massive issue, many traveling players over the years have said this is a variable too.

Rotate the oval 90degrees so goal posts are on the wings, bring the new wings in slightly so the oval is a perfect circle (need space for the bench anyway). it takes away the home ground advantage of the players knowing how the ball reacts when taking set shots at goals. You always hear stuff like "He's taking the shot from where they all take shots at goals at the end of training before going up the race, they'll kick it from this pocket 9 times out of 10". Make the oval feel foreign to both teams rather than anyone having it match their home ground. The AFL should look towards measures to make the GF on a neutral ground, not anyone's home ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay totally left field and might be the dumbest idea ever but how about we have a best of 3 gf’s. Include the last home and away round the 2 grand finalists played. Whoever won is classified as their 1st win. 2nd game is played at the opponents home ground. If they win it’s goes to a 3rd game at the other opponents home ground..

Listening to Caro about the G deal just makes me angry.

The AFL is as dodgy as they come, it's a disgrace.

Likewise. It makes me want to physically damage something and I’m a pretty quiet and placid guy.
It’s one thing to have an obviously biased comp in regards to the fixture, the leg up badly run teams get, tha amount of travel some teams have to do etc etc etc, but they’re not even attempting to try and even it up, rather they’re intentionally making it worse. It’s borderline criminal in its unfairness and it’s why the interstaters need to use the best of 3 as a method of trying to gain some other concessions.

Won’t see it in my lifetime thanks to the new contract, but would have been great for all states economies to have a GF once every 5 or 10 years outside of Vic. City would come alive if there was a Pies tigers granny at AO and it’d be great to hear all the whinging of their fans about the injustice of having to travel to a GF.

Lever may have left us but at least we got decent compensation, may have dodged a big bullet here
Geelong traded with us to get that pick 10 to take Cockatoo ......so far, as you say, even with Lever going we'll be in front still

Cockatoo's injuries now are worse than Brad Crouch & getting to career threatening stages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back