News Pre-season supplemental selection period between December 1 and March 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
The AFL has just ruled that Clarke and Mumford can sign: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-15/new-rookie-rules-clarke-mumford-free-to-join-club-of-choice

Teams can have 43 on their main and cat A list, leaving them with the opportunity of signing a rookie from Dec 1 onwards.

So clubs can basically come to a deal with any player ahead of this year's draft that has previously nominated for the draft or been on a list in previous years.

For example, West Coast could agree with Marlion Pickett or Mitch Grigg that they will join us as a rookie if they don't get picked up in the ND. Or players could agree to forego the ND and just agree to join a club this way right now, as Clarke and Mumford are doing.

It looks like it's basically a way of jumping the rookie list queue where you can convince a player to agree to the proposal and thus not nominate for the rookie draft.

I don't really like it, but clubs will now just look to make the most of the opportunity.

Who would you like your club to target with this option?

Edit: if a player hasn’t been on a list before, you can only list them if they nominate for this year’s draft and miss out on selection.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The AFL has just ruled that Clarke and Mumford can sign: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-15/new-rookie-rules-clarke-mumford-free-to-join-club-of-choice

Details are still to be confirmed, but it looks like teams can go have 43 on their main and cat A list, leaving them with the opportunity of signing a rookie from Dec 1 onwards.

On that assumption (I'll edit if it's not the case), then clubs can basically come to a deal with any player ahead of this year's draft that has previously nominated or been on a list.

For example, West Coast could agree with Marlion Pickett or Mitch Grigg that they will join us as a rookie if they don't get picked up in the ND.

It looks like it's basically a way of jumping the rookie list queue where you can convince a player to agree to the proposal and thus not nominate for the rookie draft.

I don't really like it, but clubs will now just look to make the most of the opportunity.
The afl literally makes rules up as it goes along. It’s embarassing.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Marlion Pickett and Matthew Parker are not eligible but Jye Bolton ,Hartung , Grigg,Freeman are .

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
I thought the ruling meant that the player had to previously be on an AFL list

Grigg has been but Pickett hasn't if I'm correct?

The rule was for players who had previously nominated as well.

But this ruling and the related article didn't specifically confirm that these players could sign like Clarke and Mumford did. I just assumed that they could, but I suppose it would need confirmation.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
The rule was for players who had previously nominated as well.

But this ruling and the related article didn't specifically confirm that these players could sign like Clarke and Mumford did. I just assumed that they could, but I suppose it would need confirmation.
You re-read again .

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
You re-read again .

"However, a player that nominated for and was not selected in the National Draft and committed for a further year as a 19-year-old in a Northern Academy or Next Generation Academy is not eligible for SSP selection."

This suggests that, at the least, if a player isn't picked up in the ND then they can sign with a team via this rule. So Pickett for example could do this.

What is unclear is whether a player like Pickett would need to be over-looked in the 2018 ND to qualify, or if they simply could be overlooked in the 2017 draft.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
What is unclear is whether a player like Pickett would need to be over-looked in the 2018 ND to qualify, or if they simply could be overlooked in the 2017 draft.
I think this statement are pretty clear he needed to nominated the draft and overlooked .

Any player delisted in a previous year qualifies to sign with any club in the SSP, but teams cannot cut a footballer then re-recruit them via this method in the same year.

The only scenario where that could happen is if that player goes undrafted before the SSP.

That means clubs still risk losing a player when they delist them with a promise to re-rookie them.

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
I think this statement are pretty clear he needed to nominated the draft and overlooked .

Any player delisted in a previous year qualifies to sign with any club in the SSP, but teams cannot cut a footballer then re-recruit them via this method in the same year.

The only scenario where that could happen is if that player goes undrafted before the SSP.

That means clubs still risk losing a player when they delist them with a promise to re-rookie them.

I'm just interested to know if a player who hasn't been on a list before, misses out on selection in the ND this year, can then get on a list this way and bypass the rookie draft.

This sentence suggests that it's possible: "a player that nominated for and was not selected in the National Draft and committed for a further year as a 19-year-old in a Northern Academy or Next Generation Academy is not eligible for SSP selection."

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I'm just interested to know if a player who hasn't been on a list before, misses out on selection in the ND this year, can then get on a list this way and bypass the rookie draft.

This sentence suggests that it's possible: "a player that nominated for and was not selected in the National Draft and committed for a further year as a 19-year-old in a Northern Academy or Next Generation Academy is not eligible for SSP selection."
Nope , SSP rule is for those that are overlooked in ND and Rookie Draft . ( Previously not on AFL list ) .

If Rookie Draft are over , Eagles still had a list spot and Marlion was overlooked , of course Eagles is allowed to draft him .

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Missed out in next week draft ? That mean 17 other club overlooked him in ND and Rookie Drafts .

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Read the tweet chain. He confirmed that someone like Marlion Pickett could sign with a club now just as Clarke has.
I read it , if 17 other club not willing to offer him 2 years ND contract , I don't really see what the big deal . Tim Kelly and Liam Ryan , Willie Riolli,Luke Ryan all get drafted in ND Draft .

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
I read it , if 17 other club not willing to offer him 2 years ND contract , I don't really see what the big deal . Tim Kelly and Liam Ryan , Willie Riolli all get drafted in ND Draft .

A player may be willing to accept a rookie contract to stay in their current location. e.g. last year if this rule was in place West Coast could have signed Kelly as a rookie prior to the national draft (assuming Kelly agreed to it). He could have had 1 year on the rookie list and then be promoted to the main list for 2019.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Geelong could have signed Kreuger as a rookie at no trade cost, if Kreuger had agreed to it...
Do you think as a unknown player , you want to risk getting 10-20k less a year ,one year less in your contract . All this players could end up as C. England , Tom Lamb.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
You probably wouldn't if you were happy to go anywhere and were confident of getting picked up.
Seriously , all the work you mention could just get destroy eg if North , Carlton pick him up in ND Draft at pick 80+ with their last pick .

Seriously , all the work you mention could just get destroy eg if North pick him up in ND Draft at pick 80+ .

He wouldn't nominate for the 2018 draft under this scenario.

Mumford and Clarke aren't nominating. If Clarke nominated he'd be a pretty big chance to go in the ND.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
He wouldn't nominate for the 2018 draft under this scenario.

Mumford and Clarke aren't nominating. If Clarke nominated he'd be a pretty big chance to go in the ND.
Both are AFL delisted players . Marlion and Matthew Parker are not so both are not allow to choose . Check the tweet above , he mention if they are overlooked in ND Draft.

Both are AFL delisted players . Marlion and Matthew Parker are not so both are not allow to choose . Check the tweet above , he mention if they are overlooked in ND Draft.

It applies to anyone who's previously nominated, check the second Mark MacGowan tweet quoted by Suma Magic.

So I take it as it is , anything change from this is either fake news or misleading news.

I have no idea whether you’re agreeing with me or not, but thinking that the AFL cant change its mind again on a whim would be a mistake

Remove this Banner Ad

Back