Past #36: Joel Crocker - delisted after being selected w/ #69 in 2018 ND - thanks Crock

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a game against the Tigs in 1996 when they went all out on holding Duck, and actually did a reasonable job on him, only for Crocker to kick 5.3 to win it for us.

Whichever unfortunate spud (possibly the actual Spud) had a majestic sook in the media about how it was UNFAIR that they held Carey so well, only for Crocker to kick five.

I remember thinking at the time that apart from Richo, Crocks had more talent than anyone on their list.

Was great when he came back from injury setback to play in the forward line. Very underrated overhead, and a good luck at goal. I think he and Craig Sholl really combined well with Carey as alternate targets. Been a long time since we were the team to beat. Is it true we have the longest streak since playing in a grand final?

Forward lines from hell:

1996 - Carey, McKernan, Sholl, Crocker, Allison, Bell, Simpson, Roberts with an army of opportunists including Freeborn in a memorable turn. During the season Archer also pinch-hit up forward with great effect.

1999 - Carey, McKernan, Sholl, Welsh, Allison, Abraham, Grant with an army of opportunists finding their way in there too.

To think most weeks you also had King (gun footballer, s**t bloke post playing) rampaging out of defence either turning the momentum of play around or kicking them himself.

Been a long time since we were the team to beat. Is it true we have the longest streak since playing in a grand final?

Unfortunately. Not including teams that have never made a GF, North and Carlton have gone the equal longest since playing in one.

Forward lines from hell:

1996 - Carey, McKernan, Sholl, Crocker, Allison, Bell, Simpson, Roberts with an army of opportunists including Freeborn in a memorable turn. During the season Archer also pinch-hit up forward with great effect.

1999 - Carey, McKernan, Sholl, Welsh, Allison, Abraham, Grant with an army of opportunists finding their way in there too.

To think most weeks you also had King (gun footballer, s**t bloke post playing) rampaging out of defence either turning the momentum of play around or kicking them himself.

These esteemed gentlemen also snaffled bags of 5 in the mid-90's....

upload_2018-10-30_7-31-5.jpeg upload_2018-10-30_7-33-35.jpeg

AFL Draft 2018: North Melbourne father-son prospect Joel Crocker could be coached by his Dad next year

f733e4846d0d54c6906e621f7f35fee8

The Crocker name has long been tied with North Melbourne, with current assistant coach Darren having played over 150 games for the Roos — including their 1996 premiership triumph.

Crocker was even caretaker coach during 2009 when Dean Laidley resigned and has served stints when current coach Brad Scott has been absent.

And his 18-year-old son Joel could find himself spending a lot more time with his Dad — not just in the family home — with the 191cm utility a possible father-son prospect for the club.“Dad assistant coached me all of the way through juniors, he always helped and took trainings and stuff,” Crocker told foxfooty.com.au.“I’ve always liked having him as a coach which was great, I think if I’m lucky enough to end up at North I think that it’d be fine.“Dad is obviously only part of the coaching, he doesn’t have a say with all the bidding and list management stuff. I reckon if I was lucky enough to be drafted, I’d be fine having Dad coaching.”

5008d220fada1d3fcef748029b3db43f

Darren Crocker coaching North Melbourne. Photo: Nikki Davis-Jones.Source: News Corp Australia

With blue and white in his veins from a young age, Crocker explained it would mean the world to him if the Roos elected to take him as a father-son prospect.“It’d mean a lot to me (getting called out). Dad spent a fair bit of time there, played over 100 games there, played in a flag there as well. (He’s) got mates for life from the club there, it’d be pretty special if I get to chuck on the blue and white jumper, and be drafted to the club,” he said.“I’ve been there since I was young. I’ve been around the club and all the players since I was a little boy. They’ve been a huge part of my life and it would be a very special moment to go there.

“In saying that, if I was just lucky enough to find myself on any list — if it wasn’t North, It’d be a dream come true as all I’ve wanted to do since a young age was to play AFL.”Crocker has fond memories of North Melbourne wins, especially during 2007, when he used the opportunity of his Dad’s inner sanctum pass to jump into the winners circle and sing the song.“I remember just jumping in the circle a fair few times after winning. Back in those days you could get in the circle,” Crocker explained.

7701b1327e7cc9f360720b1b07b59754

Joel Crocker in action for St Kilda City. Photo: Andy Brownbill.Source: News Corp Australia

“I used to sneak in the circle — there was a lot of players that let me get in there. There were a few finals back in 2007, there was a semi-final against Hawthorn where we beat them at the ‘G and me and my mate went in the circle and that’s probably a memory that I remember fondly.”

Being a diehard Roos supporter, Crocker described how conversations with his Dad often led to discussions about team selections — but the game plan was kept under lock and key.“I reckon he’d probably keep (the game plan) under wraps (if I got nominated),” Crocker said.“I reckon he’d make me wait until Day 1 and be like any of the other draftees.“He probably doesn’t bring it (selection) up, I’m the one critiquing it — like ‘why does this bloke get picked?’ and all that sort of stuff — we do talk about it a bit, but yeah it’s probably me enforcing it onto him.“He gives me a bit, especially if he disagrees with me — he’ll tell me why and give me reasons. We love talking footy in our house.”

0383c3e05ffc11f11e131c8dafb546d4

Blast from the past. Young Joel Crocker questioning his Dad over team structures.Source: News Limited

It’s been an extremely “frustrating” last 14 months for Crocker — suffering two syndesmosis injuries, with the most recent occurring in an innocuous incident at school training for Brighton Grammar.

His first injury happened at MARS Stadium for the Sandringham Dragons in the TAC Cup Finals, with Crocker having to sit on the sidelines as he watched his team go down by a few points in the Grand Final to the Geelong Falcons.“When I did my first ankle I only missed the last two games of the year, missed the Grand Final loss after the siren against Falcons and that was disappointing. But after that, I was disappointed — but I knew that if I did all my rehab right I’d be ready to get a full season in the following year, so I wasn’t dwelling on it much,” he explained.“I missed all preseason but I missed only three of the games at the start of this year, the first three TAC games and got back for Round 1 and 2 of school footy.“After Round 2 of school footy, at school footy training I did my right ankle and that required surgery and that was very tough for me, as I had to get surgery and was found out I was missing my whole top age year.

a9ca636a2c820fcbae00b699c9d0008e

Darren Crocker celebrates with his teammates in the 1996 AFL Grand Final.Source: News Corp Australia

“And that was very disappointing because I had high aspirations for my year, to play for Vic Metro and hopefully test at the Combine and all different thoughts were going through my head at that time.”But Crocker took some positivity in the fact he was invited to the national draft combine, with players requiring at least five clubs to nominate them in order to attend.“It’s good that I’ve got a bit of interest and I’ve found myself at the National Combine. But I will have to wait and see what happens from here, obviously it’s been a frustrating season but I’ve been able to take positives out of it.”

The ankle injury took a lot out of Crocker during his final year of football and school, with the long process keeping him off his feet for an extended period of time.“You get the screws put in, it’s about two and a half weeks at home, so I had two and a half weeks off school, which was pretty tough. I missed a fair few SACs (School Assessed Coursework),” Crocker said.“Then you have to keep your foot elevated and then I had about eight weeks on crutches so I couldn’t do anything for about two months and then after the two months I was in a moon boot and could start doing upper body weights and was doing that for a while.“(It was) just upper body weights — (I) still couldn’t put weight through the ankle until I could get the screws out, which is three months after the first surgery.“I got the screws taken out and then was able to start putting some weight through the ankle and been doing a fair bit of bike riding and swimming. I’ve started doing lower body weights as well. I’m starting on the alter G machine (after the Combine).

And while Crocker said he will be ready to go ahead of Day 1 of preseason — regardless of whether that’s at AFL or TAC Cup level, he took some comfort in West Coast Eagles 2017 draftee Hamish Brayshaw who was in a similar circumstance after injuries in his 18th and 19th season.“If I unfortunately don’t get picked up this year, I’d hopefully find myself being allowed to play as a 19-year-old next year with the Sandy Dragons and hopefully be able to play for Vic Metro next year,” he said.“Hopefully that’s not the case, but it’s not the end of the world. Good mate of mine Hamish Brayshaw had to do it that way and he’s definitely shown that it’s capable of happening.“When he found out about my injury, he gave me a call and he just told me to keep my head up. He had an injury in his Under 18 year and similar position to me, and he just told me not to worry about it and to try and focus on school, because I don’t have footy to play and just knuckle down at school.

“Sometimes it’s a blessing in disguise having to do things the hard way. That was a pretty good phone call to receive from him, because I get a lot of feedback from people — but he has been in the exact situation I had been in, so it was really good to hear something like that from him.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm on board.

If he's got a NTTAWWTteenth of his old man's natural ability he could be one hell of a player.

Hopefully he hasn't inherited the injury gene as well.

JOEL CROCKER

Sandringham Dragons

H: 191cm W: 73kg

Bloodline: Son of former North Melbourne forward Darren Crocker, who played 165 games for the Kangaroos including the club’s 1996 premiership.

What he’s got: Can play at both end of the grounds and is a strong mark but missed a large chunk of this year with a foot injury.

Kevin Sheehan says:
“He could be a hidden gem in this. He might not get a bid until very late because he’s missed all of his 18th year but he looked a star in his 17th year.”

Draft Range: Late selection. Desperately wants to get to the Kangaroos.

Has Joel nominated us yet?

"Desperately wants to get to the Kangaroos".

I'm leaning towards yes ;)

FWIW, does he actually have to nominate us? I thought that was just a thing if more than one club was in the hunt.

"Desperately wants to get to the Kangaroos".

I'm leaning towards yes ;)

FWIW, does he actually have to nominate us? I thought that was just a thing if more than one club was in the hunt.
I’m not sure. I think if we want to trump a bid he has to. I would think it safer to cover all bases. Maybe they are trying to give the illusion he is only rookie list quality.

I’m not sure. I think if we want to trump a bid he has to. I would think it safer to cover all bases. Maybe they are trying to give the illusion he is only rookie list quality.

I always thought father sons and academy players were locked in until you pass if there were no other parties eligible but I may be wrong, either way the kid is pretty much set from what I can see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back