Buddy's regret

How would you characterise his decision?

• Understandable at the time

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • One that would lead to regrets

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • An unmitigated disaster

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • A nightmare from which he cannot leave

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Should have gone to GWS and married Jessinta

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
Riewoldt is 193cm which is key position size. 185cm is only an average sized midfielder in 2018. Look at the former great key forwards, if they are not over 192cm then they would not be great key forwards in 2018/2019.

Ablett was great at everything a key position player needs. Strong enough to outposition taller opponents, incredible burst of speed off the mark, a spring-heeled leap and a really good set of hands in any situation, pack, lead, one on one; and he could kick goals from anywhere inside 50 and roost em from outside 50.

Who knows if a modern coach would ever do a Blighty and send an aging 185cm player to full forward, but a guy with Ablett’s abilities and body type could certainly pull it off in today’s game.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Look, life’s full of what-ifs. I don’t doubt Buddy is more than aware he probably would have had a couple more flags if he’d stayed with the Hawks, but in 2016 with 7 min on the clock we were only a point down, so if a few little things had gone the other way he might have had at least one more in the bag.

He’s obviously fiercely competitive like all champions, but he’s also one of the more exuberant players I’ve seen and he gets plenty of opportunity to relish the sheer joy of playing footy with a more than respectable club. I’d say on balance he’s pretty happy with his life.

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Ablett was great at everything a key position player needs. Strong enough to outposition taller opponents, incredible burst of speed off the mark, a spring-heeled leap and a really good set of hands in any situation, pack, lead, one on one; and he could kick goals from anywhere inside 50 and roost em from outside 50.

Who knows if a modern coach would ever do a Blighty and send an aging 185cm player to full forward, but a guy with Ablett’s abilities and body type could certainly pull it off in today’s game.
In today's game, you could compare it to the times Dangerfield was put at full-forward.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Look, life’s full of what-ifs. I don’t doubt Buddy is more than aware he probably would have had a couple more flags if he’d stayed with the Hawks, but in 2016 with 7 min on the clock we were only a point down, so if a few little things had gone the other way he might have had at least one more in the bag.

He’s obviously fiercely competitive like all champions, but he’s also one of the more exuberant players I’ve seen and he gets plenty of opportunity to relish the sheer joy of playing footy with a more than respectable club. I’d say on balance he’s pretty happy with his life.
In other words he has regrets - I hear you

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Which works short term, but would not work as well if it was a tactic used week in week out.
It'd work long-term, honestly. The main reason Dangerfield isn't used as a full-forward more often likely has to do with him being Geelong's best midfielder more than anything else. Though I'll point out Ablett was a much better mark and set shot for goal than Dangerfield (you have to remember this is during a time when arm chops were fair game, too). Mainly pointing out that a player's height is only one attribute. For example, Tony Modra was shorter than Dangerfield and during his peak was one of the best forward pockets / full-forwards to ever grace the game. If you watch replays of him, you can't help conceding he'd still be a freak full-forward today despite being shorter than midfielders like Fyfe or Pendlebury. I'd also wager that Modra was more likely to mark at a higher point than say a taller player like Jonathan Brown who much preferred chest marks and didn't have anywhere near the penchant for huge vertical leaps. Also, Buddy isn't really renown for his marking prowess - is actually pretty average - and I remember games when a short-ass like Josh Gibson used to be his kryptonite by simply spoiling the ball away from him.

Last edited:

Maybe Fyfe in 5 years time?

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Buddy could have been that guy - the no regret guy. I could present him as an example in a non-Swans Buddy reality
I think you need to get over your obsession.

I have a good, balanced life, I’ve expressed my strong suspicion Buddy enjoys a balanced life, what’s holding you back?

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers

He was 27 when moved from the wing/half forward to FF. Aging???

Back