Past #36: Joel Crocker - delisted after being selected w/ #69 in 2018 ND - thanks Crock

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
"Desperately wants to get to the Kangaroos".

I'm leaning towards yes ;)

FWIW, does he actually have to nominate us? I thought that was just a thing if more than one club was in the hunt.

It's actually the other way around.

We have to nominate him as a father son selection we are considering taking leading into the draft.

The names are usually read out in the conditions and laws prior to the draft.

Players "nominating clubs" like Blakey, isn't a formal thing, more a case of a player saying I don't want to go to you, so don't nominate me prior to the draft as a father-son selection.

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Golden State, SF 49ers
:)

Son of Crocker set to follow dad's footsteps and become a Roo
Callum Twomey
Nov 16, 2018 7:43AM

JC150118Crocker1024.jpg

Joel Crocker is a step closer to following his dad Darren in being a North Melbourne player
JOEL Crocker is a step closer to following his dad Darren in being a North Melbourne player after the club decided to nominate him as a father-son selection at next week's NAB AFL Draft.

The Roos are set to lodge paperwork that will see Crocker taken in next week's national draft.

It will give the club the option to match a bid if it comes for Crocker or, if no bids come, he will automatically be added to the Roos' list with their last live pick.

That is considered the most likely result, given Crocker's injury battles over the past two years, which included missing most of this season after suffering an ankle injury while training at school level.

The 18-year-old also suffered a serious ankle injury at the end of last season while playing for the Sandringham Dragons.

The 189cm Crocker can play as a forward or midfielder and has shown genuine talent in between his injury troubles.

His father Darren played 165 games for the Roos and has been on the club's coaching panel since 2004.

Darren played in the club's 1996 premiership triumph but battled injuries throughout his career.

North has first call over three players at the draft, with the Next Generation Academy prospect Tarryn Thomas expected to attract a bid somewhere from pick 8-13, and father-son Bailey Scott likely to be bid on somewhere in the second round.

North beat out Gold Coast, where Scott was eligible as an Academy pick, and also Geelong, where his father Robert also played, to be the wingman's first preference under bidding rules.

susurrar

All Australian
Apr 30, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Players "nominating clubs" like Blakey, isn't a formal thing, more a case of a player saying I don't want to go to you, so don't nominate me prior to the draft as a father-son selection.

thats not true. bailey scott had to put in formal preferences. for example, if a bid came for him and we decided not to match it, his 2nd preference would have the option of matching it.

it would be interesting to know if he had geelong or gc as his next preference.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
thats not true. bailey scott had to put in formal preferences. for example, if a bid came for him and we decided not to match it, his 2nd preference would have the option of matching it.

Hmm. Grey area.

As we officially don't lodge paperwork nominating Nick Blakey as a father son selection etc.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I always thought father sons and academy players were locked in until you pass if there were no other parties eligible but I may be wrong, either way the kid is pretty much set from what I can see.

I'm almost certain an agreement between player and club is always required? Dunkley comes to mind as being tied to Sydney (who isn't?) and the declined bid etc. There was a bit of talk pre-draft over whether he wanted to nominate them at all due to a pref to stay in Vic.

Hmm. Grey area.

As we officially don't lodge paperwork nominating Nick Blakey as a father son selection etc.

From what I understand, the player first has to nominate the club that he wishes to go as a father son or academy player, then the club has to lodge the paperwork that they are going to take him in the draft. I could be wrong, but that seems to be the way it goes down.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
From what I understand, the player first has to nominate the club that he wishes to go as a father son or academy player, then the club has to lodge the paperwork that they are going to take him in the draft. I could be wrong, but that seems to be the way it goes down.

That's my understanding.

But why would there be preferences from the player in a submission to club preference, as the losing clubs don't nominate him as well and wouldn't be eligible to take him on draft night.

At least, to date, 2 clubs haven't nominated the same player yet, it can be done though if the player has genuinely no preference.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
I’ll back all our recruits but there is something special about a kid who has always wanted to play for North Melbourne and is open about it being a dream. Not something to think about or just take as it comes, but an occasion for pure delight. (Probably why I’ll always cut McDonald plenty of slack too.)

That isn't how the system works.

1. Father-son/Academy player nominates he wants to go to a club that has access to him.

2. Only the club that was nominated lodges paperwork to take him in the bidding part before the main draft so the player is then put on the bidding roster.

3. During the bidding part of the draft before the main draft, all clubs make bids on players that are on the F/S and Academy player roster.

4. The nominated clubs have the option to match the bid, if they do not match then the player is taken by the club that lodged the highest bid.

So if Blakey gets a really high bid and for whatever reason Swans do not match it, us and Brisbane don't get a look in, he will go to the club that made the bid. Blakey is effectively dead to us.

The only thing I am not clear on is in what order is the bidding determined and if matching is done one at a time or considered to be simultaneous. I assume once all bids have been received, they go from the highest bid first and work downwards. This can effectively alter the value of various picks for bid matching for players who come later down the list as I assume picks start disappearing to pay for players. For example, if Blakey's bid is determined first and Swans cash in 2 or 3 odd picks for him and Thomas is second and we flush 2 or 3 picks on him then a whole lot of picks move upwards in the draft order if it is not simultaneous.

It means we may end up getting a bit more value out of our picks as picks start to be cashed in for the higher prospects.

susurrar

All Australian
Apr 30, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That isn't how the system works.

thats how callum twomey said it works under the revised system from 2015.

1. Father-son/Academy player nominates he wants to go to a club that has access to him.

they can also enter preferences if more than one club has access to them.

So if Blakey gets a really high bid and for whatever reason Swans do not match it, us and Brisbane don't get a look in, he will go to the club that made the bid. Blakey is effectively dead to us.

not if he entered us as a second preference. then we would have the opportunity to match it.

i could have been wrong with the wording in my original post when i said bailey scott had to enter preferences. it could be the case that they can enter preferences if they want to, but don't have to.

Last edited:
thats how callum twomey said it works under the revised system from 2015.

they can also enter preferences if more than one club has access to them.

not if he entered us as a second preference. then we would have the opportunity to match it.

i could have been wrong with the wording in my original post when i said bailey scott had to enter preferences. it could be the case that they can enter preferences if they want to, but don't have to.

I haven't heard anything of the sort, do you have a link to an article he wrote? I think you might have misinterpreted something he said.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Forward lines from hell:

1996 - Carey, McKernan, Sholl, Crocker, Allison, Bell, Simpson, Roberts with an army of opportunists including Freeborn in a memorable turn. During the season Archer also pinch-hit up forward with great effect.

1999 - Carey, McKernan, Sholl, Welsh, Allison, Abraham, Grant with an army of opportunists finding their way in there too.

To think most weeks you also had King (gun footballer, s**t bloke post playing) rampaging out of defence either turning the momentum of play around or kicking them himself.

Was a young Cam Mooney in that 96 Premiership team too!

Back