Player Watch Nathan Murphy

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I see him more of a Jeremy Howe type but slower (e.g. an intercept marking back flanker). I don't know about the Gunston comparison.

I see Pendles in some of the work he does so I wouldn't rule out midfield potential.

Murphy will be rucking in the VFL soon enough
Well that’s his career over then if McLarty’s change to the ruck is any indication to go by...

Murphy will be rucking in the VFL soon enough
My big concern is that Murphy, with his height, is most suited to playing first ruck, but with Grundy in the team, there's no spot for him. Perhaps we should consider trading Grundy?

My big concern is that Murphy, with his height, is most suited to playing first ruck, but with Grundy in the team, there's no spot for him. Perhaps we should consider trading Grundy?
Excellent idea. We might even get a first rounder for him.

JJ14AU

All Australian
Oct 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Made it work with Cox. Surely we can carry 3 rucks on game day.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Graduation for young Murphy.

(Any resemblance to Robert Wadlow 8’11” is pure coincidence)

22AC1EB7-F6FD-4EC8-88A0-40391CADB68B.jpeg

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
His Instagram indicates he’s tall

3C690EF3-3D1C-4C5D-80D6-DD934DF72992.jpeg

Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Unless Murphy has a Matthew Lappin metabolism once he’s grown into his body he’ll be heavier than you suggest. Look at Moore who is a lean body shape yet he’s now supposedly 100kg plus...

Is it exciting to consider Murphy will/ may reach KP size? I’m not sure, but it’s where the real debate is not the incorrect assessment of his future playing weight.
You're right to raise that question, but what you may not appreciate is that I am quoting what Nathan himself told me directly about his own body and where the club's doctors sees him being physically in terms of physical development and the need for our list. I'm not saying it as the peak he will get to if he wanted to. If playing at 90kg though (a long way from where he currently is may I add) he does not represent a true KPP option for mine, more a 3rd tall forward or defender.

Chris Mayne had bulked up at Freo to play as a tall marking forward. He no longer had viability as a player in that role, with that physical shape, so he cut back his weight to develop more running capacity this year. There is scope for players to have variability in their weight of course. You know it, I know it. But Mayne will never sustainably fit the bill as an adequate marking forward target either at his dimensions.

Looking at Murphy though, he does have broad shoulders but he is so skinny that he looks a bit Dale Thomas-esque as someone who may not put on the same size/bulk as other players. He is still very young though. Jaidyn Stephenson maybe similar.

Last edited:
This thread brings back memories of Jackson Paine. How tall was he again?

Not Just Paine seems to happen the Many Players.

For Example of Draft Machine Will Kelly is 196cm but in Twomey's Draft Ranking he is 193cm

I like Darcy Moore as a ruck too, so that would mean 4 rucks, which could be too many. Thank god Darcy's got dodgy hammies.

What a Lovely Post saying someone has Dodgy Hammies and you are Glad for it:mad::thumbsdown:

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
And Reported sightings today of Murphy growth spurts?

Please spotters, keep the board updated....

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's little I can say
About Nathan Murphy today
He's tall
That's all
As opposed to McLarty who is tall but no longer with the ball.

But now Sam I am, can eat green eggs and ham,
That Sam I am.

What a Lovely Post saying someone has Dodgy Hammies and you are Glad for it:mad::thumbsdown:

So you're saying it's lovely that someone is wishing injuries on our players. :devil::thumbsdown::greenalien::'(:eek::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Only joking TD. Which I was also doing with the comment about Moore's hamstrings. Like all of us (except for that evil Ottoman), I just hope his hammies come good and he fulfills his potential and becomes the star that we saw of a brief glimpse of in that half against WCE a couple of years ago.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
So you're saying it's lovely that someone is wishing injuries on our players. :devil::thumbsdown::greenalien::'(:eek::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Only joking TD. Which I was also doing with the comment about Moore's hamstrings. Like all of us (except for that evil Ottoman), I just hope his hammies come good and he fulfills his potential and becomes the star that we saw of a brief glimpse of in that half against WCE a couple of years ago.

bad-man-jerry.gif

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
I think Murphy would be quite disturbed at the amount of people specifically talking about his height.

Doubt he’s ever a key position defender, even if he does grow to 195.

Back