Prediction 2019 Starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Said every year:
1. The list is in the best shape it’s been in for years.
2. It’s the first year for a long time that there is genuine depth / competition for spots.
3. All things considered, the reserves should win the flag.

As for the strongest or deepest list we’ve ever had???

There’s still 6-8 players on the list I don’t think are AFL quality. I feel we’re still short a couple of better-than-B grade mids, a decent running defender, and a dangerous small forward away from finals. But I will admit the signs are much more promising though...

My round 1 team:

B: Cutler, Adams, Gardiner
HB: Hodge, Andrews, Witherden
C: McLuggage, Berry, Zorko
HF: Taylor, Hipwood, Christensen
F: Rayner, McInerney, Bailey
Foll: Martin, Neale, Lyons
Int: Rich, Robinson, Robertson, McStay
I like Cutler bp, Cameron would be the obvious omission.

This side looks a lot speedier than the last couple of years

Maybe i should have said as effective as McStay. Pretty close imo.
Don't agree at all. McStay averaged around a goal a game and would have had a lot more if he had his goal kicking boots on. When he had that coaching in the last 3rd of the season he was doing very well. Martin nowhere near close as McStay

Don't agree at all. McStay averaged around a goal a game and would have had a lot more if he had his goal kicking boots on. When he had that coaching in the last 3rd of the season he was doing very well. Martin nowhere near close as McStay
Totally ignoring that Oscar is taking Mcstay's spot and Martin is only fwd when he is being given a spell from the ruck. But we need another big target when Oscar is rucking.

I still see the same deficiencies from McStay and having a fwd who misses far too many gettable shots is of minimal value.

Totally ignoring that Oscar is taking Mcstay's spot and Martin is only fwd when he is being given a spell from the ruck. But we need another big target when Oscar is rucking.

I still see the same deficiencies from McStay and having a fwd who misses far too many gettable shots is of minimal value.

It's not going to take a lot of improvement for McStay to get to a 2 goal a game key forward. Goal kicking is obviously the biggest issue.

It's not going to take a lot of improvement for McStay to get to a 2 goal a game key forward. Goal kicking is obviously the biggest issue.
Maybe he should work on that in the neafl. I dont think he gets his hands on it enough, when he does it is often a big pack mark which is spectacular, but it leads to him being overrated at this point.

Defensively McStay is still poor, I think Oscar chases harder.

Maybe he should work on that in the neafl. I dont think he gets his hands on it enough, when he does it is often a big pack mark which is spectacular, but it leads to him being overrated at this point.

Defensively McStay is still poor, I think Oscar chases harder.

Overrated by who? I think the majority on this board share your opinion on that

Tired of arguing this second point. Obviously takes more than half a season to change peoples minds on his defensive work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McStay is a lock for the forward line. Very close to breaking out and becoming a dominant CHF. Just needs to tidy up his goal kicking

In his defence he did tidy up his kicking significantly after getting dropped and working with that kicking coach. Was kicking for goal at 42% before that and went at 68% after along with a goal assist almost every game and just under 5 score involvements per game. That's a pretty solid return for a 2nd forward. I agree with Jackess that he's probably not going to ever be dominant but as the second fiddle I think he complements Hipwood really well. Tracking along just fine imo and his game definitely seems more well-rounded than it did back when we he was our main target and the most noteworthy thing he did was take flashy contested marks. It looks like he finally has a definitive position and if should only get better as he spends more time there. Lock for the 22.

I will say about McStay this....

I was with my son at preseason last year and Dan was in the rehab group but they still did a really hard session. My son had his Lions hat that he wanted signed but wasnt game to go over to any players to ask them. Dan saw him, saw he was a bit shy, called him over, spoke to him then got all the guys in the regab group to sign his hat. It was really good if him and I appreciate him doing it. Dan also seemed to be a leader in the group.

So im a bit hard on McStay but I want the kid to become a superstar. He actually could be if he puts it all together.

I already mentioned this but if McStay isn't played forward, don't bother putting him in the best 22 for the week. The only way he's going to get better is if he plays there all season + keeps up the goal kicking coaching.

I already mentioned this but if McStay isn't played forward, don't bother putting him in the best 22 for the week. The only way he's going to get better is if he plays there all season + keeps up the goal kicking coaching.
He's an interesting one. Don't think the Club have all season for him to get it right. He needs to start kicking lots in the NEAFL before he gets his next game as a forward in the Seniors for mine. We can play 2 Talls (Big O & Hipwood) or 3 with Adams or others & have Zorko, McCarthy, Robinson, Taylor, Christensen, Cameron, Lyons to chose from for the 3 or 4 smalls. Time for Rayner to go to wing & through the middle with decreased game time. Now is the time to see how he goes in bursts. He's not recruited to be a half forward flanker. We have other small forwards to choose from.

B Luke Hodge, Marcus Adams, Darcy Gardiner
HB Alex Witherden, Harris Andrews, Allen Christensen
C Tom Cutler, Hugh McCluggage, Daniel Rich
HF Mitch Robinson, Eric Hipwood, Dayne Zorko
F Charlie Cameron, Oscar McInerney, Cam Rayner
R Stef Martin, Lachie Neale, Jarrod Berry
I Jarryd Lyons, Lewis Taylor, Nick Robertson, Daniel McStay
E Rhys Mathieson, Zac Bailey, Ryan Lester, Josh Walker

Pending further changes will be basis for my planned post in Inexperience Watch thread.
Selected on Interchange does not imply "closest to being cut".

Generally similar to other teams. Want to keep from getting too tall, though I think several submissions to date underrate the importance of what McInerney is already producing. Don't know why people keep naming Berry in the C line. McCarthy is next up for emergencies, but would want him to demonstrate it just yet.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back