Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
STOP THE PRESSES!

PLAYER CELEBRATES SPORTING SUCCESS IN FRONT OF FERAL SUPPORTERS THAT HURLED ABUSE AT HIM!

Quick. Let's start a national campaign to be a collective group of assholes towards him.

If only that was all he did to alienate the mob against him.

I'll repeat my final point in the post above yours again for clarity

Attempting to both civilise & educate a mob in the midst of a sporting game, where parochialism is already in extremis, betrays the extent of his naïveté.

Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
If only that was all he did to alienate the mob against him.

I'll repeat my final point in the post above yours again for clarity

Attempting to both civilise & educate a mob in the midst of a sporting game, where parochialism is already in extremis, betrays the extent of his naïveté.
Oh, please dont repeat yourself on my part. I didnt ignore your point because I somehow forgot to read it. No. I just think it is as dumb the second time as it was the first. It's wrong.

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Fair enough, still doesn't really answer the question though.
Goodes had been a proud aboriginal well before 2013. He was an AFL 'golden boy'. He was like James Hird if he'd won Australian of the Year and didn't get caught up in a doping scandal. Obviously, the fallout is linked with him getting that girl kicked out of the footy - blind freddy can see that - and the public were pretty unforgiving after that.

Personally, I think he put himself in an unenviable position. He hadn't realised she was a kid, but he'd already called her out for racial vilification. He couldn't exactly take it back even after finding out her age. I think he came up with something about her needing to be educated, and she even wrote an apology letter explaining she didn't realise she was being racist, and after that debacle it felt like he was trying to turn it into a Nicky Winmar moment. Except Goodes came across more like a w***er than a symbol of stoic defiance against racism.

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Tip Rat himself...

images-30.jpg

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
The Goodes situation was a really odd cultural swarm, he got a lot of backlash for calling out the kid, then when it became evident the booing was affecting him (and I cant recall whether he came out and said it or the club came out and said it) it seemed to spurn even more people to boo him. I guess there is an element of oppositions supporters using this to try and get him "off his game" and it seemed some people used that as their excuse. I imagine even now if a player said that behaviour was affecting their mental wellbeing more people would be sensitive to it. It was a really bizarre and weirdly sensitive situation that showed the best and worst of a lot of people.

Personally I think booing players at the footy is pretty childish. I cant claim I ever liked Goodes (players with as much natural talent as Goodes and a bit of swagger that don't play for the saints just piss me off) but I wouldn't have booed him, having said that I think at the time I would have defended others right to boo him and I do distinctly recall being a bit perplexed how booing him became a racist act, with the benefit of hindsight it certainly seemed to have had racist beginnings.

Cicatriz

All Australian
Sep 25, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
How about rubbing it in to the faces of the Carlton cheer squad, when their mob was a good 10 goals down....A mock spear-chuck at an already demoralised cellar dweller club & it's supporters....Trey classy that.

There's a time & a place for everything.....Playing at identity politics on the football field in the waning years of your career, is not one of them.

Whatever the lads message was, he most certainly went about it the complete wrong way.

The fact he was indulged & sanctioned by the AFL in being allowed to both do & get away with crossing the player/crowd line of demarcation, was merely proof positive that he was an AFL favoured child.....That always goes down well with the mob.

I can still hear your booing. Time to move on.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I can still hear your booing. Time to move on.

Against the AFL admin?....Absolutely.

It was they who sought to politicize our game for their own ends at the expense of it's own followers.

They already dictate more than enough aspects of our game; To then try & tell us how to support our own code properly....GTFO.

Last edited:

bingers

Debutant
Mar 12, 2010
Northcote
AFL Club
Melbourne
Against the AFL admin?....Absolutely.

It was they who sought to politicize our game for their own ends at the expense of it's own followers.

They already dictate more than enough aspects of our game to then try & tell us how to support our own code properly....GTFO.

More importantly, may I respectfully draw to your attention the fact that pronouns such as "its" do not have a'p'ostrop'he'''s !!

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

More importantly, may I respectfully draw to your attention the fact that pronouns such as "its" do not have a'p'ostrop'he'''s !!

:rolleyes: A point of grammar, is hardly more important!

Though I do comprehend how a Demons supporter would be desperate to win something.....Even where it is only in the realm of pedantry.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
The Goodes situation was a really odd cultural swarm, he got a lot of backlash for calling out the kid, then when it became evident the booing was affecting him (and I cant recall whether he came out and said it or the club came out and said it) it seemed to spurn even more people to boo him. I guess there is an element of oppositions supporters using this to try and get him "off his game" and it seemed some people used that as their excuse. I imagine even now if a player said that behaviour was affecting their mental wellbeing more people would be sensitive to it. It was a really bizarre and weirdly sensitive situation that showed the best and worst of a lot of people.

Personally I think booing players at the footy is pretty childish. I cant claim I ever liked Goodes (players with as much natural talent as Goodes and a bit of swagger that don't play for the saints just piss me off) but I wouldn't have booed him, having said that I think at the time I would have defended others right to boo him and I do distinctly recall being a bit perplexed how booing him became a racist act, with the benefit of hindsight it certainly seemed to have had racist beginnings.

The booing thing was also part media beat-up. A lot of commentators on radio and in print media got maximum mileage out of baiting their audience with opinions they probably didn't genuinely hold. Any adult should realise that telling a large group of people not to target a particular player would only make it worse. It's exactly what happens in school or prison yards. Adam Goodes was already seen as a protected species for a decade, and disliked for it, the media just confirmed this status and ratcheted up the hate.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Oh well you can hate Goodes all you like that’s fair and fine, he is still one of the best ever ,

I don't think he would be; his stats don't support that. It's probably just the couple of Brownlows, which can be flukey, that gave him this status.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Why are most football supporters such morons? ducking involves bowing under a tackle not lowering the body so the head gets tackled high. Selwood doesnt duck. Staging involves faking hits. Selwood again never does that. His frees are due to neither ducking nor staging. Selwood uses a different technique but his technique isnt solely about getting frees its primarily about breaking free of tackles. its why he always keeps his feet. Frees are largely a by product.

Selwood is universally regard as the toughest and best captain in the league. time to deal with it.

This should be in the cognitive dissonance museum.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
He was just noting how much of a cheating, ducking, sore loser of a flog Selwood is.

And how universally despised he is because of it.
If he wants to do that he has to argue why my points are incorrect. Nothing is said without argument so nothing to respond to.

But even then he is wasting his time. Im not talking football in this offseason. I cant stand to talk about football while our club is run by Scott, carter, cook and their anti Geelong philosophy. We are almost as bad as hawthorn.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
If he wants to do that he has to argue why my points are incorrect. Nothing is said without argument so nothing to respond to.

But even then he is wasting his time. Im not talking football in this offseason. I cant stand to talk about football while our club is run by Scott, carter, cook and their anti Geelong philosophy. We are almost as bad as hawthorn.

Another 4 premierships to go & you'll be almost as good....None of which young Joelly will get to see, before his record breaking free-kick career comes to an end.

And that will be his shameful legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back