Rumour The aftermath when Demetriou flew to Adelaide in 2010

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
No

The Suns licence was sold to a private consortium. I dont understand how the AFL retains control of the makeup of the board but everyone insists they do.

The Suns had a bid team, but as far as Im aware the license wasnt sold to the team, most of them did go on to form the board. The Suns board as far as Im aware is still controlled by the AFL in the same way that the Giants is.

The_Wookie? Sorry to tag you again but I get confused as to how GC sand GWS actually work. Aren’t their licenses the same?

I guess Ill have to buy a copy of the constitution to get a definitive answer. However, Gold Coast Suns Annual Reports state that the club is a not for profit company limited by guarantee - like all AFL clubs except West Coast - it provides for members liability in the event of the clubs winding up, and states that the club only has one voting member. This is inline with most club constitutions.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
The Suns had a bid team, but as far as Im aware the license wasnt sold to the team, most of them did go on to form the board. The Suns board as far as Im aware is still controlled by the AFL in the same way that the Giants is.

I guess Ill have to buy a copy of the constitution to get a definitive answer. However, Gold Coast Suns Annual Reports state that the club is a not for profit company limited by guarantee - like all AFL clubs except West Coast - it provides for members liability in the event of the clubs winding up, and states that the club only has one voting member. This is inline with most club constitutions.
It may be my misconception that the GC 17 group was granted an AFL licence and therefore owns it.

I tried to search ASIC records for the Gold Coast Football Club, but ownership details appear to be part if the info you have to pay for.

I did discover the that AFL registered both clubs parent companies though, and as a governance matter I dont believe a third party can register an entity, and the individuals legally responsible for the entity. As opposed to registering a name.

Appears I was wrong.

Bunk Moreland

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
It may be my misconception that the GC 17 group was granted an AFL licence and therefore owns it.

I tried to search ASIC records for the Gold Coast Football Club, but ownership details appear to be part if the info you have to pay for.

I did discover the that AFL registered both clubs parent companies though, and as a governance matter I dont believe a third party can register an entity, and the individuals legally responsible for the entity. As opposed to registering a name.

Appears I was wrong.

Bunk Moreland

I was always under the impression GC and GWS (and a few others) were the same - all clubs are member-owned, but in these cases there’s one “member” - the AFL.

Therefore, the AFL could technically sell the club, but I doubt they would.

Moreover, should the AFL sell it (or attempt to), I believe the the other clubs could veto it if they didn’t want the league to move into private ownership - just like they can veto any AFL move with a 75% majority.

More likely the vague plan would be to hand over the club to the actual membership - at some mythical yet-to-be-fixed time.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I was always under the impression GC and GWS (and a few others) were the same - all clubs are member-owned, but in these cases there’s one “member” - the AFL.

Therefore, the AFL could technically sell the club, but I doubt they would.

Moreover, should the AFL sell it (or attempt to), I believe the the other clubs could veto it if they didn’t want the league to move into private ownership - just like they can veto any AFL move with a 75% majority.

More likely the vague plan would be to hand over the club to the actual membership - at some mythical yet-to-be-fixed time.
I dont think there's a plan to sell the Suns licence. I thought it had been to the private consortium.

The Swans members apparently get to elect two board nembers, presumably at the benevolent delegation of the AFL. Like us their constitution has a specific clause allowing a transition to a member owned club. The trigger is not really defined though. According to the Wookie in previous discussions re the Swans anyway

Unlike the Suns our constitution is available on our website, and anyone can read it in ours.

Last edited:

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Sick of having my team to travel to tassie to prop up Victorian clubs.

It's a national comp fool. Don't like going to Tassie? Don't play in the Australian Football League.

Sick of victorians describing their clubs as some sort of heavenly created thing when they are only surviving by making people addicted to gambling.

http://www.phaiwa.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/2017-AFL-Sponsorship-Scorecard.pdf

Non-Victorian clubs are the "Big 4" of unethical sponsorship!

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
It's a national comp fool. Don't like going to Tassie? Don't play in the Australian Football League.

http://www.phaiwa.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/2017-AFL-Sponsorship-Scorecard.pdf

Non-Victorian clubs are the "Big 4" of unethical sponsorship!

I don’t mind going to tassie if there is a Tasmanian team. I mean a Victorian team playing in Tasmania so they don’t go bankrupt hardly makes it the Australian Football League.

Unethical sponsorship? You mean unhealthy.

Making money by promoting gambling abd promoting machines designed to make you addicted and designed to win.

Now THAT is unethical. And they tell everyone how much money you have made from gambling and fans loving it.

I mean u can’t make this shite up.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah nah. There's no struggle for money from any Vic club, it's just the clubs always want more. It's a con.

As for WA propping up Vic clubs, the only elite competition will be one that has more Vic clubs than others. We have more players playing at elite level than anyone else. We have more $$$ and people invested in the game. We're the home of football. And as for 'just lines on a map', I'll quote that next time a WCE fan whines about 'Vic bias'.

Now, how do you think WA would go if situations were reversed and you had 10 teams and Vic had two or even if we each had three?

You should avail yourself of the financials of these conning clubs. It's not a con, some can't generate the basic level of revenue required to fully fund their footy and administrative operations. Even a reasonably financially successful club like mine doesn't generate much more than is needed. And there's doubt surrounding whether we actually spend the full footy dept cap.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
You should avail yourself of the financials of these conning clubs. It's not a con, some can't generate the basic level of revenue required to fully fund their footy and administrative operations. Even a reasonably financially successful club like mine doesn't generate much more than is needed. And there's doubt surrounding whether we actually spend the full footy dept cap.
Sure, but if it becomes too much of a burden the AFL has the money there to help. Remember, the AFL IS the clubs. The AFL now holds a lot of the money the individual clubs used to have. That's why the AFL commission was formed.

As for clubs not being able to generate income, the AFL as a whole gets its money by manipulating the draw and tv timeslots to bring in as much money as it can. It means that clubs that have the best potential to draw a crowd, ie, money, get the 'good' timeslots and then that wealth is shared.

Last edited:
Ahhh he sort of had me until the 'Essendon are scapegoats' thing.

My first issue is 'how dumb do you have to be to send a PED-user to your new golden child on the Gold Coast' but then... yeah. Just because people make lots of money and have important roles, doesn't make them smart. Wouldn't shock me. This bloke jumped into my cab once years ago and tried convincing me to go to Kittens...
You're a cabbie?

Suddenly everything makes sense.

THE mother of former Crows player Nathan Bock has been jailed for at least 13 months for trafficking methamphetamine.

Michelle Joy Bock, 53, of Ethelton, was selling the drug at street level for two months in 2010, including to covert police officers investigating her crimes.

:think:
UNLOCK THE BOCK

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Very interesting if true. Would be the AFL's way of wiping their hands and not having to fold the Suns I guess
Every knows that the GC is a graveyard for sporting teams.
I would suggest that if the Suns move away from the GC the NRL will do the same with the Titans and move them to somewhere else in Qld.
For me sports teams at the top level on the GC are huge financial black holes and the money that's spend on keeping them treading water would be better spent elsewhere

Gersman

Team Captain
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Every knows that the GC is a graveyard for sporting teams.
I would suggest that if the Suns move away from the GC the NRL will do the same with the Titans and move them to somewhere else in Qld.
For me sports teams at the top level on the GC are huge financial black holes and the money that's spend on keeping them treading water would be better spent elsewhere
I've often wondered if they would be better off moving the Suns to Cairns actually.
Nth Queensland Suns.
I think the public would get right behind a team up there, representing their region at national level.
Starting a franchise on the Gold Coast has always been a mistake given the previous disastrous history of any sporting club in that city, it's a place full of ex-pat Vics, ex-pat Tassie crims and retirees.
I wonder how much money the AFL has officially poured into this great mistake?

Back