News Pre-season supplemental selection period between December 1 and March 15

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
This makes sense for any delisted player. Delisted free agency should be for life. Grigg should be able to pick his home.

This doesn't make sense for a 19/20/21 year old late developer who should go through the draft process and be available to all sides.

I'd set the bar at 22 years old and/or 3 nominated drafts.

A 19 year old who doesn't get drafted at 18 has more agency and rights than the number 1 pick from the year before. That's not right.
Easy fix - you either have to have previously been on an AFL list, or have made it through the draft just gone without getting picked. That way players can't collude with clubs to dodge the draft unless they're effectively FAs already.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Might come into play for Collingwood IF Murray get's Suspended for a big amount of Time
Not really he is just like Tipett , Langford name in Rookie list for another year but not playing .

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't think the trade was the problem , he is just stupid to get caught after rising star nomination .

Paying a 2nd Rounder for a Rookie Listed Player did not sit well with me. He Started Very Well but Did not last long

Yeah really weird trade that one, Murray isn't a terrible player by any means but I think the pies overpaid on that one.

We paid Massive Overs. Should been 4th Rounder at Very Most

Paying a 2nd Rounder for a Rookie Listed Player did not sit well with me. He Started Very Well but Did not last long

You got a third-rounder back as well.

It was Murray and what turned out to be pick 51 in this year's draft, for what turned out to be pick 38. Only a 13-pick downgrade.

Put me in the camp that likes the rule

For a bloke in the mid point of his career who is going to have to live on a rookie's wages and has already submitted themselves to the vagaries of the draft - surely they deserve some right as to where their next employment is

Clubs aren't getting the next Sam Walsh - their getting a fringe trier who might plug a gap at best

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
So basically the advantages Gold Coast & Carlton got this year will be available to everyone.

Except they got multiple picks and got to cherry pick who they wanted. Carlton of course used theirs to trade.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Put me in the camp that likes the rule

For a bloke in the mid point of his career who is going to have to live on a rookie's wages and has already submitted themselves to the vagaries of the draft - surely they deserve some right as to where their next employment is

Clubs aren't getting the next Sam Walsh - their getting a fringe trier who might plug a gap at best

Pretty sweet deal for the WA and SA clubs. Any Harry Taylor or Tim Kelly that pops up via the WAFL you can just list. Choice of staying home or going interstate, they are going to stay home.

Pretty sweet deal for the WA and SA clubs. Any Harry Taylor or Tim Kelly that pops up via the WAFL you can just list. Choice of staying home or going interstate, they are going to stay home.

Doesn’t seem to apply to blokes that have just popped up, only players that have previously been on an AFL list.

Back