Team Mgmt. Best 22 - 2019 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

So let me get this straight.

Your logic is that 12 good games from Gleeson isnt enough to establish himself in the 22 in his position.

However only 3 or 4 good games from Francis (who like Gleeson has shown little in the previous 2 years to this at AFL level to bestow the messianic reputation he enjoys) and what in reality was 1.5 good games from Ridley is enough to convince you they should start in the 22 and above Gleeson?

Oh boy.

Yes, sure, that's clearly what I was saying.

people forgot begley

Not true.

I thought about how he isn't relevant to talking about our backline. Yesterday as well.

I never said I don't rate Gleeson.

Gleeson played half a year of good football. There is virtually nothing in the 5 years before that to justify the reputation that he now has. For Gleeson to be discussed the way he is being discussed has him on par with a player like Hurley who has no serious challenge to his spot in the side.

You're kidding yourself if you think he's only played 6 months of good footy in his whole career.... More like 3 seasons of good football in a row

The way I see it is, we have had a fair amount of issues transferring the ball by foot out of our backline and especially our kick ins. Now with Goddard retiring the only elite kick in the back line left is mckenna, the additions of Francis and redman to the back 6 turns a weakness into a strength, the idea of Irish, Francis and redman firing bullets out of our backline makes my mouth water and that's with out thinking about all the other attributes those players bring to the balance of the team.
It allows hooker or Francis to swing forward when needed without leaving hurley exposed aswell as having another small to lock down on the opponents best small forward that allows saad, a Irish to get of the chain more.

So the question for me is, does the club back Marty to get back to the football he was playing before his injury or do they fast track riddley?
Its gonna be so tight for spots it also wouldn't surprise me if the club plays a dedicated back 6 and instead of 7 and the seventh spot becomes a extra midfield player with heppel, McGrath and myers resting of half back.

The way I see it is, we have had a fair amount of issues transferring the ball by foot out of our backline and especially our kick ins. Now with Goddard retiring the only elite kick in the back line left is mckenna, the additions of Francis and redman to the back 6 turns a weakness into a strength, the idea of Irish, Francis and redman firing bullets out of our backline makes my mouth water and that's with out thinking about all the other attributes those players bring to the balance of the team.
It allows hooker or Francis to swing forward when needed without leaving hurley exposed aswell as having another small to lock down on the opponents best small forward that allows saad, a Irish to get of the chain more.

So the question for me is, does the club back Marty to get back to the football he was playing before his injury or do they fast track riddley?
Its gonna be so tight for spots it also wouldn't surprise me if the club plays a dedicated back 6 and instead of 7 and the seventh spot becomes a extra midfield player with heppel, McGrath and myers resting of half back.
Martys got runs on the board, the club should back him and i think will give him every oppurtunity to get back to his best. Theres a bit of depth at half back though so if youre not performing next year you'll probably have to go and have a run in the 2's.

I don't think Gleeson has ever had a run where he was as good as Francis was in the final five rounds of 2018. If Francis was to replicate that form over the course of a season then he will get mentioned as a potential All-Australian.

But I don't necessarily think we need to make a choice between the two. If Hooker-Hurley-Francis are you core talls and Saad-McKenna are you main smalls then there is scope for a medium-sized defender. Gleeson would surely be the best candidate right now.

I don't think Gleeson has ever had a run where he was as good as Francis was in the final five rounds of 2018. If Francis was to replicate that form over the course of a season then he will get mentioned as a potential All-Australian.

But I don't necessarily think we need to make a choice between the two. If Hooker-Hurley-Francis are you core talls and Saad-McKenna are you main smalls then there is scope for a medium-sized defender. Gleeson would surely be the best candidate right now.
Bullshit. As exciting as Francis' end to the season was, Gleeson's end to 17 was better. No doubt about it.

Bullshit. As exciting as Francis' end to the season was, Gleeson's end to 17 was better. No doubt about it.
Would agree. Though Francis showed he has more tricks and will be better footballer, and very soon. Probably the reason for the hyperbole.

I also expect all of Francis, Gleeson, Ridley and Redman will be best 22 simultaneously by 2020 if not sooner, making this whole discussion about who's beeter quite fruitless.

Using the AFL player ratings (the best measure we have for assessing player impact), Francis had greater influence across those final five games than in any five game sample from Gleeson in 2017. In fact, Francis' average impact per game during that period is equal to Gleeson's best game in 2017. Francis' impact throughout that five game sample compared favourably with the best defenders in the league.

Now you could argue that Gleeson has more runs on the board and that a sample of five games for Francis is too few to draw strong conclusions. Both arguments hold weight. But it certainly appears that Francis is a higher impact player even when he gets fewer disposals. If he has a solid pre-season then I anticipate he will be selected before Gleeson (although I don't believe the two are competing for a position).

Using the AFL player ratings (the best measure we have for assessing player impact)

AFL player ratings are a joke. Champion Data rankings are way better.

Although there's more to games than ranking points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have both Francis AND Gleeson down back. Best of both worlds.

My issue with picking them both is that they are similar in the sense they both would rather play loose on their opponent and aren't adept at playing small. I rate Gleeson as a player but I have Ridley and Redman as better complimentary players to to the Hurley/Hooker/Francis trio

Frangs finish to 2018 was so good that you'd tell port no deal in a straight swap for spp. End of 2017 i think most wouldve jumped at it. Out of contract after 2019 and really hoping we get him signed up quickly. Gleeson is competing with ridley and redman for a spot in defence i reckon. Laverde, guelfi, begley and bags are competing for forward pocket i think. Horse is competing with stewie and mitch brown. The beauty of our list atm though is how verstile a lot of our players seem to be. Gonna be some healthy competition to get a gig in the 22 next year.

Last edited:
All things being equal (form wise) you would expect Gleeson to get the nod first. But given his time out it would be surprising if he hit the ground running. That will probably open the door for the next in line which could spell serious trouble for Gleeson as we can expect whoever that is to take their opportunity with both hands. However, as the season goes on injuries will get going and we will get to see the best of Gleeson again.

I prefer my own ranking system. It is much more relevant.
Considering it had Josh Green as the Brownlow favourite this time last year I'll ignore it thanks.

With many people including myself not picking Gleeson in the best 22. Have people thought about how good the VFL back 6 will be?

FB: McNiece - Hartley - Zerk-Thatcher
HB: Gleeson - Ambrose - VFL player

Francis basically did for five games what Gleeson did for 12.

I have my doubts about Gleeson recovery but his backend of 2017 was very very good.

Francis Hurley McKenna
Gleeson Daniher Saad
Zakka Heppell Smith
Fanta McKernan Laverde
Stringer Hooker Tippa

Bellcho Shiel ZMerrett

McGrath Myers Langford Parish

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
As I said in the Daniher thread, using him in defence is akin to using Buddy Franklin in defence. Absolutely imbecilic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back