Workshop Template Feedback Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

very, very impressive work on that template! only suggestion I have would be that it looks a bit feminine with the massive curve in at the pecs and how much it curves out at the hips.

but that being said, great work. presentation is very fresh.
Good point, I'll try to fix that. Thanks mate :)

This better Freight Train or do you think it still looks too feminine?
Preview.JPG

Here it is next to the original picture I used for the template.
Preview 2.JPG

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
trying to figure out the basics of making a photorealistic (or as close as possible without going too over the top) guernsey template.
based on a couple videos i've seen (e.g. ), a decent way is to use smart object layers to manipulate shadows and reflections. i think if i look at a few tutorials i should be able to get the hang of those, but it's getting the shadows to actually look half-decent that i'm struggling with figuring out. any ideas or suggestions?

trying to figure out the basics of making a photorealistic (or as close as possible without going too over the top) guernsey template.
based on a couple videos i've seen (e.g. ), a decent way is to use smart object layers to manipulate shadows and reflections. i think if i look at a few tutorials i should be able to get the hang of those, but it's getting the shadows to actually look half-decent that i'm struggling with figuring out. any ideas or suggestions?

super dark and contrasty layer for highlights set to screen at 70% opacity, super bright layer for shadows set to linear burn at 100% opacity.

This better Freight Train or do you think it still looks too feminine?
View attachment 585609

Here it is next to the original picture I used for the template.
View attachment 585610

looks better, but still somewhat feminine. can't quite put my finger on why though...

It does look a bit more like compression gear than a footy jumper but it looks bloody f**kn awesome!

guernseys in 2018 pretty well are compression gear, to be fair.

Without trying to be rude, is that an AFLW template? It does look really good, but I agree with Freitas on that one.

bruh.

Maybe I just need to scrap it and do a forward facing template instead

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not at all! I think the issue is that the pec “peaks” too high along, making it more look like the point of a female chest than a male chest. Wouldn’t need much adjustment, just bring the peak an inch or two down.

Template is sick, and will look even better with designs on it. So excited to see your future work with this!

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Maybe I just need to scrap it and do a forward facing template instead

As a card carrying member of the angled template club, I disagree! You've got the basis for a really nice template here and you've clearly got the skills to keep going with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
If I cant work it out perfectly I still have this basketball jersey I bought from Yellow Images a few weeks ago and made it look as early 2000's footy guernsey as possible
received_315250562644567.jpeg

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Prefer the one you've been making tbh. It'll look better when you actually chuck a design on it as well.

Agree with this Shokunin

Do a quick portfolio, even it's just an 8 team league local to your area or something similar, where you use a few basic well known footy designs to stretch the legs of your template a bit. It'll help push the template along and give you a good idea of it's strengths and areas you can improve.

Thoughts? I feel like my main problem now is warping the sponsors to the guernsey correctly. I think they still look fairly off.
View attachment 587442
Warping certainly needs some work, but apart from that this is a top effort. Be proud mate!

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Thoughts? I feel like my main problem now is warping the sponsors to the guernsey correctly. I think they still look fairly off.
View attachment 587442

Looking really good mate! You should be very proud of that, it has enormous potential.

My template has a similar angle, and what I do to get everything to line up is to have a smart object which covers the whole front of the guernsey. So once you've got your cuffs and collars etc the right colours, draw a rectangle shape over the top of your guernsey, roughly the size and shape of the front of the guernsey like so.

x9jFFyl.jpg

Right click on that new rectangle in the layers list and click "Convert to smart object". With the rectangle as a smart object you can warp the whole thing as one, so the logos and designs will appear to move together.

If you double click on your smart object in the layers list, you'll get the flat rectangle back, regardless of how much you've warped it. You can then edit it like so:

wWEHDze.jpg

My NAFL home as an example. Once you've added in your designs and logos, save and close the smart object and go back to your main window.

You can then go to transform and warp the rectangle to fit the guernsey as best you can as per the below.

vrge3O4.jpg

It definitely takes some work to get right, but once you've got it, you can put any design on your template and swap out logos really easily from a more user friendly flat base. You can get your logos to sit more naturally on the design because you're warping everything as a group instead of individually.

Looking forward to seeing your template continue to develop.

Looking really good mate! You should be very proud of that, it has enormous potential.

My template has a similar angle, and what I do to get everything to line up is to have a smart object which covers the whole front of the guernsey. So once you've got your cuffs and collars etc the right colours, draw a rectangle shape over the top of your guernsey, roughly the size and shape of the front of the guernsey like so.

x9jFFyl.jpg

Right click on that new rectangle in the layers list and click "Convert to smart object". With the rectangle as a smart object you can warp the whole thing as one, so the logos and designs will appear to move together.

If you double click on your smart object in the layers list, you'll get the flat rectangle back, regardless of how much you've warped it. You can then edit it like so:

wWEHDze.jpg

My NAFL home as an example. Once you've added in your designs and logos, save and close the smart object and go back to your main window.

You can then go to transform and warp the rectangle to fit the guernsey as best you can as per the below.

vrge3O4.jpg

It definitely takes some work to get right, but once you've got it, you can put any design on your template and swap out logos really easily from a more user friendly flat base. You can get your logos to sit more naturally on the design because you're warping everything as a group instead of individually.

Looking forward to seeing your template continue to develop.
Thanks mate just what I needed! I'll get on to that after work

Remove this Banner Ad

Back