Traded Ryan Burton [traded with #15, #35 and future 4th for Wingard and future 3rd]

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think the spite is from who offered him up.

It's based on the fact that Jason Cripps during Trade Period said, "100%" that Hawthorn offered Burton - then after Trade Period said that it was in fact Port Adelaide who inquired about him.

All things being equal I think most of us are unhappy that he's gone but conceding that the club will be stronger with Wingard.
Inside word was that Clarko had this playing out before Burton's EOY review with the Hawks...

Inside word was that Clarko had this playing out before Burton's EOY review with the Hawks...

Clarko has probably been trying to figure out a way to get Wingard to the Hawks since 2014.

100% right. If they are hankering over a deal and its sitting on the edge, I reckon Suns staff will think, yeah f**k cripps, his comments really upset us, lets do the deal. Lol, I think you are the one that is rivalling Cripps' purported intelligence in your mind.

You realise there are people doing these deals, its not playstation?

You think nobody in the industry holds a grudge and wont do something that both benefits them and pisses off their disliked counterparts?

Naive to say the least. Also glad to see the melts have already started.

Last edited:

Rioli tore down Tippets pants.

Burton will be missed.

Wingard is a bigger in by far.

You only think that because you havent seen Wingards lack of effort and how he plays 1 good game every 4
You got reamed in that trade, sorry to say.

Burton + first round pick was too heavy price to pay for a flakey self-absorbed player.

Last edited:
You realise there are people doing these deals, its not playstation?

You think nobody in the industry holds a grudge and wont do something that both benefits them and pisses off their disliked counterparts?

Naive to say the least. Also glad to see the melts have already started.

He’s saying the suns won’t do a deal if it greatly benefits them. The top 7 players are a step up from the rest of the first round and they won’t give one of those picks away, wreaking their draft hand and handing an elite talent to the crows because of Cripps throw away line.

You’re right, it’s not PlayStation, deals aren’t done out of spite. They’ll only trade their picks if it greatly benefits them, they won’t get back at Port by handing Luko/Rankine to the Crows.

He’s saying the suns won’t do a deal if it greatly benefits them. The top 7 players are a step up from the rest of the first round and they won’t give one of those picks away, wreaking their draft hand and handing an elite talent to the crows because of Cripps throw away line.

You’re right, it’s not PlayStation, deals aren’t done out of spite. They’ll only trade their picks if it greatly benefits them, they won’t get back at Port by handing Luko/Rankine to the Crows.

Where do you pull that from?
Everyone else saying the dropoff starts around 15-18? Pretty obvious from the different mock drafts and how everyone thinks different players will go top 10.

Deals aren't done out of spite but, like anything, if its a 50-50 decision, it may be a factor. That and quantity is as important to GC as quality right at the moment. That doesn't really apply to any other team.

Last edited:
Where do you pull that from?
Everyone else saying the dropoff starts around 15-18? Pretty obvious from the different mock drafts and how everyone thinks different players will go top 10.

Deals aren't done out of spite but, like anything, if its a 50-50 decision, it may be a factor.

It won’t be a factor, if it’s 50/50 they won’t do it.

Haven’t you heard of the ‘super 7’ refered to by several draft gurus ? (Really it’s 8 but I’m not counting Blakey as he’s a Sydney academy player) St Kilda rienforced this veiw recently aswell in their statement they see massive difference in quality between the top picks and who’s they get with your pick 8.

It won’t be a factor, if it’s 50/50 they won’t do it.

Haven’t you heard of the ‘super 7’ refered to by several draft gurus ? (Really it’s 8 but I’m not counting Blakey as he’s a Sydney academy player) St Kilda rienforced this veiw recently aswell in their statement they see massive difference in quality between the top picks and who’s they get with your pick 8.

Nope havent heard that at all.
Who are the 7? I have seen drafts with guys like Clark in the top 7 but others with him at 13 or 14.
And that doesn't take into account the left field selections that always surprise.

I'm not concerned because our recruitment staff are 2nd to none anyhow.

Anyway this has nothing to do with Burton, and the way Cripps behaved around both his trade and the lame threats to Gold Coast.
I hope Gold Coast pick Rankine and in 2 years time he comes back to AFC where he wants to be.

Nope havent heard that at all.
Who are the 7? I have seen drafts with guys like Clark in the top 7 but others with him at 13 or 14.
And that doesn't take into account the left field selections that always surprise.

I'm not concerned because our recruitment staff are 2nd to none anyhow.

Anyway this has nothing to do with Burton, and the way Cripps behaved around both his trade and the lame threats to Gold Coast.
I hope Gold Coast pick Rankine and in 2 years time he comes back to AFC where he wants to be.

In no particular order; Walsh, Smith, the King Twins, then the three SA Lads Luko, Rankine and Rozee.

Then there is Syd Acadmy Player Blakey not included in the 7 for obvious reasons.

Obviously doesn’t take into account, A player like Caldwell being taken at 6 like rumoured and clubs drafting more for needs which could see certain players slide a bit.

Well that’s why the rumours of them being into Luko and Rozee asnthey are more likely to hang around started, just comes down to the saints then who are (apparently) keen on M.King and Smith leaving Rankine for port at 5.

I’m not no fussed about what Cripps said, a little surprised maybe, but just stating the obvious in an open forum. (About GC)

Don’t think he didn’t anything wrong in the Burton deal, just made it clear the Hawks offered him up.

In no particular order; Walsh, Smith, the King Twins, then the three SA Lads Luko, Rankine and Rozee.

Then there is Syd Acadmy Player Blakey not included in the 7 for obvious reasons.

Obviously doesn’t take into account, A player like Caldwell being taken at 6 like rumoured and clubs drafting more for needs which could see certain players slide a bit.

Well that’s why the rumours of them being into Luko and Rozee asnthey are more likely to hang around started, just comes down to the saints then who are (apparently) keen on M.King and Smith leaving Rankine for port at 5.

I’m not no fussed about what Cripps said, a little surprised maybe, but just stating the obvious in an open forum. (About GC)

Don’t think he didn’t anything wrong in the Burton deal, just made it clear the Hawks offered him up.

I think it will come down to how much AFC want one of those top SA kids. We certainly have the currency to trade up, including the possibility of future picks.
I get the feeling we wont give away multiple picks to get 1 kid. Port getting Rankine would be best case scenario for them, but becomes more likely given he's indicated he wants to stay in Adelaide. Depends how risky GC want to be. He'd be a direct HF positional replacement for Wingard (not that theyre the same type of player)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does everyone at Port think that Burton will play the same position as at Hawthorn?
Seemed like he was underutilized...
Clarko played him in other parts of the ground for small periods of time. And played some Half-Forward games early in his short career to date
Never really looked comfortable in any position other than half-back

i think he will play in our midfield / winger
Goping to mostly see him in the midfeild. Won’t be needed to play the same role he did at the Hawks.

I sorta thought that too.

Clarko played him in other parts of the ground for small periods of time. And played some Half-Forward games early in his short career to date
Never really looked comfortable in any position other than half-back

As he matures though you'd think he has the skillset to do a bit of anything. I found it a bit strange because Hawthorn already had a decent bunch of half backers.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-19/shocked-shattered-burton-didnt-consider-staying-with-hawks
He also chatted with Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson.

"I won't get into details about what he said, but we basically spoke about my playing future and that Port Adelaide was going to be a good fit," Burton said.

"Being contracted, of course I had a choice, but once you get put up on the trade block, you don't really feel comfortable going back unless you're 100 per cent wanted," Burton said.

Sounds like Cripps wasn't lying after all about the Hawks offering him up.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-15/hawks-100-per-cent-offered-up-burton

HAWTHORN "100 per cent" offered up Ryan Burton's name as a trade chip for a deal involving Chad Wingard

All those that accused him of lying can now point your finger at Hawthorn for the lies and if you still don't believe it you must have rose coloured glasses super glued on.

Make sure to read all of Burton's article.

We know full well Hawthorn offered him up.
That was obvious as hell to anyone without yellow and brown glasses on.

Port yelled "start the car" as soon as 1st + Burton was offered.

All for a Fortnite player...sheesh.

You know the one good thing about this is now Port and Crows fans can come together and slam wingard for being a whiny little sook.

You know the one good thing about this is now Port and Crows fans can come together and slam wingard for being a whiny little sook.

Nah, Port fans don't have the culture of demonising every player who leaves the club like your mob does. I wish Chad all the best.

Nah, Port fans don't have the culture of demonising every player who leaves the club like your mob does. I wish Chad all the best.

Ha, speak for yourself, but don't pretend like port fans are going to treat chad well.
You know whats more petty than booing old players, pretending like your mob wont do it.

The same club who has supporters that throw their own piss all over their own supporters on the hill at AO and throw bananas at indigenous players.... :rolleyes::drunk:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-19/shocked-shattered-burton-didnt-consider-staying-with-hawks
He also chatted with Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson.

"I won't get into details about what he said, but we basically spoke about my playing future and that Port Adelaide was going to be a good fit," Burton said.

"Being contracted, of course I had a choice, but once you get put up on the trade block, you don't really feel comfortable going back unless you're 100 per cent wanted," Burton said.

Sounds like Cripps wasn't lying after all about the Hawks offering him up.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-15/hawks-100-per-cent-offered-up-burton

HAWTHORN "100 per cent" offered up Ryan Burton's name as a trade chip for a deal involving Chad Wingard

All those that accused him of lying can now point your finger at Hawthorn for the lies and if you still don't believe it you must have rose coloured glasses super glued on.

Make sure to read all of Burton's article.
yep. Hawthorn offered him up.

I wonder if who/what we would've offered if Wingard wasn't playing for an SA side.

Ha, speak for yourself, but don't pretend like port fans are going to treat chad well.
You know whats more petty than booing old players, pretending like your mob wont do it.

The same club who has supporters that throw their own piss all over their own supporters on the hill at AO and throw bananas at indigenous players.... :rolleyes::drunk:

Some might. I won't.

Did you see Jackson Trengove's first game against us back at AO last year, out of interest? You'd think he still played for us from the reception he got from the players and fans. Compare and contrast with Jake Lever dumping his Crows gear at the tip.

Some might. I won't.

Did you see Jackson Trengove's first game against us back at AO last year, out of interest? You'd think he still played for us from the reception he got from the players and fans. Compare and contrast with Jake Lever dumping his Crows gear at the tip.

There is a different between a player that leaves because the club doesn't want them, compared with a player that leaves because of their own choice.
Surely this is obvious to you? Or do I need to explain it?

We have nothing against players like Lyons or Wright or Kerridge, but comparing a player who wasn't getting a game at senior level to a guy we took a risk on after a knee recon, built into AA squad level player who leaves for 50k extra cash after lying to his mates and the playing group consistently.

I'd say compare bananas with bananas but there might not be any left after your fans have thrown them all at indigenous players.

I’m not booing chad. I’m booing whoever the * thought it was a good idea to trade him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back