Training 2019 Giants Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

That kind if answers the question if whether Shipley is fit to hit the off season. Well done to Sheridan, ex Freo players have a great record in our time trials. Wait and see how he goes against Tommo later on though, he also has years in the system.

That kind if answers the question if whether Shipley is fit to hit the off season. Well done to Sheridan, ex Freo players have a great record in our time trials. Wait and see how he goes against Tommo later on though, he also has years in the system.

If his 2011 draft combine form is any indicator Sheridan should have Tommo covered

If his 2011 draft combine form is any indicator Sheridan should have Tommo covered
Didn't realise he was that good. Will wait and see with interest.

I guess the other unkown is will De Boer try or will he run with one of the WA fuys to improve their finish. :cool:Maybe he can run with Sheridan.

Just realized this is actually the first time were gone with a 2km time trial rather then the old 3km
Yeah its an interesting one. Some clubs still do the three 3 but we have moved to the 2k. Its really nothing more than an attempt at an objective measure of fitness. It doesn't replicate a game in any way as most of the running would be at a higher pace than this and for shorter periods of time. I suppose the Yoyo test is an attempt to recreate a more accurate game day testing experience, but I don't think we do that one (or at lest if we do we don't notify the public).

Did I hear Sheridan correctly in his post time trial run.Did he say Toby is in Point Piper?.Just the thought of Toby strutting around there makes me laugh!

Did I hear Sheridan correctly in his post time trial run.Did he say Toby is in Point Piper?.Just the thought of Toby strutting around there makes me laugh!
Not really out of character I'd have thought. He comes across as a knockabout bloke, but he's a very snappy dresser. Bit more complicated than he seems I think.

Yeah, recall someone else mentioning that Toby lives in Point Piper. Can't remember who said it though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/12/04/lighter-and-fitter-mumford-ready-for-2019/

GWS Academy Director John Quinn has given an update on Shane Mumford and how he’s kept himself in a condition capable of seeing him return to AFL level. Quinn said his boxing work among other things has seen him stay in good shape. “He’s kept himself in really good shape with boxing, he’s been doing a bit of running and movement work. He’s dropped a bit of weight and looks in great shape. His strength levels are up. With a player of his age, we take it as a point that he doesn’t have to do as much on legs because of the wear and tear of playing at this level, so it’s really a management situation, maintaining where he’s at. If he’d done his knee, it’s not too dissimilar to that. He’s probably in advance to that because he’s been able to maintain his fitness and he trained a lot with the players last year whilst he was coaching.”

Pre-season report from afl.com

GWS-header.png

Pre-season in a nutshell
The Giants' older players have only been back for a week officially, but many of them have been at the club doing some work by themselves or in small groups for the past month. Veteran Brett Deledio will again be on a specific plan to have him ready for full training in January, but he looks in excellent shape.

Injury list
Aidan Corr: The key defender avoided surgery but is on a modified program after a groin issue ended his season prematurely at round 17. Corr is running and should join the main group in the new year.

Toby Greene: The good news is that the star is out of the hard cast and has his ankle in a moon boot after surgery last month. The Giants remain hopeful he'll be running in January.

Josh Kelly: Will be on a modified program for the rest of the year because of hip surgery, but Kelly is confident his groin issues are fixed. Has been doing rehab at the club for weeks.

Jon Patton: Slowly working his way back from another ACL surgery, and has been at the club working hard in the gym for weeks. Yet to start running.

Heath Shaw: The veteran will again do his own individual program until January but has been at the club doing rehab after his knee surgery late in the season.

Lachie Whitfield: This year's club champion had minor knee surgery but returned to the club before he was required and has started running, with a view to being back at full intensity before Christmas.

Need for speed
GWS defender Matt Buntine has been working hard on his pace off the mark, with the 25-year-old back at training early and being put through some drills by the club's conditioning staff last week. - Adam Curley

Pre-season report from afl.com

GWS-header.png

Pre-season in a nutshell
The Giants' older players have only been back for a week officially, but many of them have been at the club doing some work by themselves or in small groups for the past month. Veteran Brett Deledio will again be on a specific plan to have him ready for full training in January, but he looks in excellent shape.

Injury list
Aidan Corr: The key defender avoided surgery but is on a modified program after a groin issue ended his season prematurely at round 17. Corr is running and should join the main group in the new year.

Toby Greene: The good news is that the star is out of the hard cast and has his ankle in a moon boot after surgery last month. The Giants remain hopeful he'll be running in January.

Josh Kelly: Will be on a modified program for the rest of the year because of hip surgery, but Kelly is confident his groin issues are fixed. Has been doing rehab at the club for weeks.

Jon Patton: Slowly working his way back from another ACL surgery, and has been at the club working hard in the gym for weeks. Yet to start running.

Heath Shaw: The veteran will again do his own individual program until January but has been at the club doing rehab after his knee surgery late in the season.

Lachie Whitfield: This year's club champion had minor knee surgery but returned to the club before he was required and has started running, with a view to being back at full intensity before Christmas.

Need for speed
GWS defender Matt Buntine has been working hard on his pace off the mark, with the 25-year-old back at training early and being put through some drills by the club's conditioning staff last week. - Adam Curley
Where's your club at? Pre-season plans, injuries and more - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-08/wheres-your-club-at

Worth adding the entire article for perspective I think. It's noticeable hiw unremarkable our position is with injuries. Sad though every injury for every club is.

Kinda makes the lie if the notion there's some sort of crisis or that our medical staff are worse than NAZI's. Constant improvement should be the goal absolutely l.

In the detail Corr worries me as his injury seems to be lingering.

Buntine working on acceleration off the mark a but as well. I guess we can take heart from the fact it's being addressed though.

Last edited:
Seems every pic or video I see of Bobby at the club his always smiling
Bloody love this guy. For someone that everyone says that was guaranteed to Go to Freo or WC, he seems bloody appreciative every time he mentions the giants.

Love the guy

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back