Society & Culture Facebook

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Rarely use Facebook these days though I did use it recently when I was overseas to post photos.
I used to be the same. I thought wow, what's great way to keep in touch. But in reality all I was probably doing was making people jealous about things they're not doing and possibly feel bad about their own lives. I'm off FB now. It's mostly good for corporates. Every time someone posts their new car or clothes or watch or whatever, it's like a free advertisement for that company. We've really become tools if the big businesses without even noticing it.

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
Rarely use Facebook these days though I did use it recently when I was overseas to post photos.

Me too thought not necessarily overseas, I use it to post photos from roadtrips or interstate trips too. Have lots of family on fb from overseas and I like to show them Australia!

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I used to be the same. I thought wow, what's great way to keep in touch. But in reality all I was probably doing was making people jealous about things they're not doing and possibly feel bad about their own lives.

That's true. I was mostly posting them for my elderly mother who worries about me. I think a couple of people deleted me because they got tired of the photos but that's their problem.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Me too thought not necessarily overseas, I use it to post photos from roadtrips or interstate trips too. Have lots of family on fb from overseas and I like to show them Australia!
This is what's great about whatsapp I reckon. I haven't used facebook in over a year but whatsapp is how I keep up with everyone who lives interstate/overseas.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I used to be the same. I thought wow, what's great way to keep in touch. But in reality all I was probably doing was making people jealous about things they're not doing and possibly feel bad about their own lives. I'm off FB now. It's mostly good for corporates. Every time someone posts their new car or clothes or watch or whatever, it's like a free advertisement for that company. We've really become tools if the big businesses without even noticing it.

I did this but realised, no one really cares about your over seas snaps except you. Still have it but more to send messages (birthday etc) or get the occasional update. Don't really post anymore.

This could be in the shits me thread: People hiding their age on Facebook so they can lie on Tinder but still want everybody alerted when it's October 18th (or whenever) so they get 37 "happy birthday xoxo" messages.
My best mate doesn't have fb but his wife does. Whenever it's his birthday or their anniversary she posts happy birthday and happy anniversary statuses on her own page "to" him.

He has no interest in fb so never ever sees these messages and comments, it's all purely for her to get the likes and comments on her page.

Anyone else getting this ?

Fullscreen capture 18112018 30915 PM.bmp.jpg

SportsCentre

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets
What's the more narcissistic platform in 2018?
Facebook or Instagram?

I have a contact on Instagram who constantly posts photos of her out and about with her boyfriend.
Not to highlight that she's at these places (beach, park, mundane places really), but to remind all of her single friends that she has a boyfriend.
The sort of thing that fishes for the "you two are so cute together" comments that will slowly grind into the "give it a rest" mantra sooner than later.
I'm patiently awaiting that fall-out just for the popcorn moments.

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
Facebook or Instagram?

I have a contact on Instagram who constantly posts photos of her out and about with her boyfriend.
Not to highlight that she's at these places (beach, park, mundane places really), but to remind all of her single friends that she has a boyfriend.
The sort of thing that fishes for the "you two are so cute together" comments that will slowly grind into the "give it a rest" mantra sooner than later.

Instagram. Any girl with over 1k followers immediately feels she's a Kardashian.

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
I'm off FB now. It's mostly good for corporates. Every time someone posts their new car or clothes or watch or whatever, it's like a free advertisement for that company. We've really become tools if the big businesses without even noticing it.
Am I right in assuming that absolutely none of your possessions have any brand names/logos on them then?

what are you referring to?
There’s Facebook groups
- subtle asian traits (650k+ people)
- Subtle Curry Traits (130k+ people)
- subtle White People Traits
- subtle private school traits
- subtle Christian traits (35k people)

They are basically groups where memes are shared, that only that niche group of people would understand. Started in Australia and has moved around the world. There are some really good jokes in them.

https://www.sbs.com.au/topics/life/culture/article/2018/11/14/we-need-talk-about-subtle-asian-traits

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I've never used Snapchat, so not sure how it works, but apparently a middle-aged guy was flashing himself, unaware he was doing so, to the whole town last night.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Am I right in assuming that absolutely none of your possessions have any brand names/logos on them then?
I did say we. So I'm definitely a part of it. People (whether they admit it or not) promote brand "me" all the time through their actions and appearance as they try to keep up with the kardashians. I'm trying to wean myself off a bit though. Simple things like wearing no name stuff from Kmart or op shops. My TV is a TCL. My phone is a Motorola. My car is a dented white, cheap SUV. But like everyone else, I'm bombarded with advertising, perfect stories in the media and perfect lives on social media, so I'm not immune to it. I am trying to be a bit more cognisant of it though and simplify my life.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
My cousin posted a "happy heavenly birthday" status to our dead nana the other day :straining:

Nana woulda been 79 and never had a Facebook page.

What about my *head uncle still adding the years onto my grandparents age? Every birthday “today would have been (Granny’s) 98th birthday.” Yep except she died 21 years ago, it kinda doesn’t count.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Facebook or Instagram?

If it was legal, I would shoot all people like this. Twice. Narcisstic oxygen thieves

Back