Traded Ryan Burton [traded with #15, #35 and future 4th for Wingard and future 3rd]

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
I’m not booing chad. I’m booing whoever the **** thought it was a good idea to trade him

Seriously?
Outsiders perspective but gee hes flakey. Plays 1 good game every 4 and wanted $1m a year.
Ultimately it was him that wanted out.

Good riddance IMO

He wanted Gray/Wines money and isnt half the player of either.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There is a different between a player that leaves because the club doesn't want them, compared with a player that leaves because of their own choice.
Surely this is obvious to you? Or do I need to explain it?

We have nothing against players like Lyons or Wright or Kerridge, but comparing a player who wasn't getting a game at senior level to a guy we took a risk on after a knee recon, built into AA squad level player who leaves for 50k extra cash after lying to his mates and the playing group consistently.

I'd say compare bananas with bananas but there might not be any left after your fans have thrown them all at indigenous players.

Sorry but what a rubbish post, Wingard was contracted if both parties didn’t want t the deal wouldn’t have happened.

Secondly, 50K ? You’ve missed a zero mate. The first offer you club mate to his was insulting, maybe he lied becouse he was worried his captain would have a swing at him ? Or becouse the list management guys constantly bullied/harassed him ?

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Seriously?
Outsiders perspective but gee hes flakey. Plays 1 good game every 4 and wanted $1m a year.
Ultimately it was him that wanted out.

Good riddance IMO

He wanted Gray/Wines money and isnt half the player of either.

The 1mil was BS, don’t believe it. Coaching group too soft, if he had problems should have been dropped, but that never happened.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sorry but what a rubbish post, Wingard was contracted if both parties didn’t want t the deal wouldn’t have happened.

Secondly, 50K ? You’ve missed a zero mate. The first offer you club mate to his was insulting, maybe he lied becouse he was worried his captain would have a swing at him ? Or becouse the list management guys constantly bullied/harassed him ?

You realise I'm comparing Lever to Trengove (that post had nothing to do with Wingard)? Very easy to not have anything against a player when they have left for more opportunity after being treated like garbage. Wingard left for coin, not because he wasnt wanted. He'd actually been treated bloody well by Port.

So Lever was offered $500k extra by Melbourne (so they're paying him $1.2m a year?). This 'first offer' stuff is garbage and has been debunked many times.
He lied because he didn't have the guts to stand up and say he was leaving like Danger or McGovern did. Also I think you've got the wrong way around with 'taking a swing'. Lever was as gutless as it comes, and was called out for it by the playing group.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The 1mil was BS, don’t believe it. Coaching group too soft, if he had problems should have been dropped, but that never happened.

Burton will be a better player in the long run, and far more consistent.
Also far better for the team/squad. Leadership potential, not sitting at home playing fortnite all day.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You realise I'm comparing Lever to Trengove (that post had nothing to do with Wingard)? Very easy to not have anything against a player when they have left for more opportunity after being treated like garbage.

So he was offered $500k extra by Melbourne (so they're paying him $1.2m a year?). This 'first offer' stuff is garbage and has been debunked many times.
He lied because he didn't have the guts to stand up and say he was leaving like Danger or McGovern did. Also I think you've got the wrong way around with 'taking a swing'. Lever was as gutless as it comes, and was called out for it by the playing group.

My mistake..

300 vs 800 is they 500K difference, the first offer to him was insulting.

Not sure I have got it the wrong way around, was told not to come to the BnF as well. As posted earlier dumped his crows gear at the dump, says a lot.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
My mistake..

300 vs 800 is they 500K difference, the first offer to him was insulting.

Not sure I have got it the wrong way around, was told not to come to the BnF as well. As posted earlier dumped his crows gear at the dump, says a lot.

We're paying players like David McKay $400k per year (a contract that started 4 years ago).
Do you seriously think we offered $300k to Lever?

He was told not to come to the B+F reportedly after he took a swing at one of the senior players after a few choice words back and forth.
Not sure how you expect to be invited after shitting on the club, attacking one of the leadership group and then dumping all your crows gear at the tip.

You can handle it with grace and class like Dangerfield did, or you can do it the total opposite like Lever did.

That's the reason guys like Phil Davis and Dangerfield will be welcome at AFC any time where a guy like Lever or Tippett wont.

Going to miss Burton big time. Wish him all the best at Port, you have a really good kid. Creative, skilled, fit and smart. Give him the ball in his hands and let him think his way through congestion. He will be really good on a wing for a side that plays a more overlapping style.

Getting Wingard my former favorite opposition player softens the blow.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Going to miss Burton big time. Wish him all the best at Port, you have a really good kid. Creative, skilled, fit and smart. Give him the ball in his hands and let him think his way through congestion. He will be really good on a wing for a side that plays a more overlapping style.

Getting Wingard my former favorite opposition player softens the blow.

Just gotta hope that Clarko and Co. can get him on the right track rather than being a slacker.
Wingard has so much ability, but seems to lack worth ethic both in game and during the week.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-19/shocked-shattered-burton-didnt-consider-staying-with-hawks
He also chatted with Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson.

"I won't get into details about what he said, but we basically spoke about my playing future and that Port Adelaide was going to be a good fit," Burton said.

"Being contracted, of course I had a choice, but once you get put up on the trade block, you don't really feel comfortable going back unless you're 100 per cent wanted," Burton said.

Sounds like Cripps wasn't lying after all about the Hawks offering him up.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-15/hawks-100-per-cent-offered-up-burton

HAWTHORN "100 per cent" offered up Ryan Burton's name as a trade chip for a deal involving Chad Wingard

All those that accused him of lying can now point your finger at Hawthorn for the lies and if you still don't believe it you must have rose coloured glasses super glued on.

Make sure to read all of Burton's article.

I wonder where all the Hawthorn people went who claimed Port were liars?

Just gotta hope that Clarko and Co. can get him on the right track rather than being a slacker.
Wingard has so much ability, but seems to lack worth ethic both in game and during the week.
He will be AA next year. You know it deep down as well.

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's been a few weeks and I still don't get this trade.

Port gave up a gun in Wingard after a down year, Hawthorn gave up one of their brightest young draft prospects.
I think both players had relatively quiet seasons, Burton didn't really come on this year as one might have expected, and there is a bit of a feeling around the club that he's soft. You never know how a change in environment may help, hopefully both lads have better years. In the case of the Hawks, we probably have more need for skilled forwards than running half backs. This could be one of those 'win win' trades where both clubs get something they need.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I think both players had relatively quiet seasons, Burton didn't really come on this year as one might have expected, and there is a bit of a feeling around the club that he's soft. You never know how a change in environment may help, hopefully both lads have better years. In the case of the Hawks, we probably have more need for skilled forwards than running half backs. This could be one of those 'win win' trades where both clubs get something they need.

If you dont like soft, Wingard is not for you.
You're right though, Hawks were clearly keen and Port were happy to get Burton back in SA.

Could be a win win, depending on who can get what out of the players.

I wonder where all the Hawthorn people went who claimed Port were liars?
Tough thing to admit you were wrong I guess. Even on an anonymous internet forum.

DazzaTys

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We know full well Hawthorn offered him up.
That was obvious as hell to anyone without yellow and brown glasses on.

Port yelled "start the car" as soon as 1st + Burton was offered.

All for a Fortnite player...sheesh.

You know the one good thing about this is now Port and Crows fans can come together and slam wingard for being a whiny little sook.
I’m in shock, there’s a first for everything. For the first time ever, I’m going to agree with you Dangersloane and like your post.

MrChow

Club Legend
Jun 24, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Good trade all round. Hopefully win win Probs better for Hawks in the short term, possibly better for Portz in the long run...

Chad was getting stale, he is a gun, if anyone can bring it out it's Clarko. I think he best suits a half forward, but he wants to be a midfielder and has bulked up to play this position. He was a bit quicker with less bulk, and I think it suited him better. He has the potential for soft tissue injuries, always seems to have a niggle. Best of luck to him at Hawks. He will get a lot more free kicks playing for a big Vic club... he didn't travel that well this year...

Looking forward to seeing what Burton can bring. He has some good potential. I doubt he'll ever be AA, but who knows, looks serviceable.

I'm also interested in who we get at Pick 15, and 5 (over 6). If either of these are guns, then it will be the making of a worthwhile trade for Portz.

Jesslc

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This will be great to follow this year. Ones going to outperform the other by their own standards. It will be interesting.

Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It’s what happens when clubs mismanage their relationship with a player beyond repair

Certainly seems like it was a monumental stuff up by Port/Kochie, but it worked out pretty well in the end all things considered. Burton will play 250 games and two early picks is kind of what they said they were chasing in the first place.

From our point of view I still can't believe Wingard is on our list. I was also shocked when I read he is still 25. We need an X factor goal kicker and we got one of the best. He had elite numbers for that ~8 week stretch where he played in the middle this year too.

Hawks fans seem to be more delighted with this trade right now but I think once the dust settles, Port fans will warm to it just as much.

Back