F1 Championship - Round 20 - Brazilian Grand Prix

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Ocon was clearly more in the wrong in that situation, but as Lews was telling Max after the race, he need's to avoid putting himself in those situations in the first place. If Ocon wants to be a campaigner and dive down in Turn 1 to un-lap himself, then let him do it and focus on winning the race.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
One thing is evident - Max doesnt have many friends in the paddock.
As long as his father and Helmet are managing his career, his attitude is only going to get worse I reckon. Vettel had a little bit of this early on in his career, and whilst he still has campaigner moments he certainly has matured a fair bit at Ferrari.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
First things first - Ocon made an unnecessary move. He really didnt need to do it but at the same time, Max didnt need to fight so hard to keep him out. Esteban would have had him at the end of the straight anyway.

Secondly - Max is an epic pill. Forget the pushing incident for a moment, but his interview afterwards was ordinary to say the least. "I dont care what people think......". This kid is losing friends in the paddock on a daily basis. Will be interested to see how he goes with Gasly, a guy who isnt quite as laid back as Dan.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I thought Senna, Schumi and Seb were bad. Max will eclipse all of them in the dickhead stakes.
None of those first 3 were anywhere near this bad.

Piquet Snr was the worst

Apr 29, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA RAMS
Reminds me of Jos ironing out Montoya trying to unlap himself

Montoya would be having a chuckle....:D

I think the replay of the 2001 Brazillian GP was on last week -- Montoya was leading and had passed Verstappen and he just didn't brake and slammed into him. At least Max was able to finish.

about 2min30sec

Last edited:
Reckon Max has to take some of the blame here. Ocon was always 3/4 alongside Max the whole way, but Max tried to shut the door as if he was a full length or two in front. Poor driving and judgement.

45dfcju.gif

Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ocon was clearly more in the wrong in that situation, but as Lews was telling Max after the race, he need's to avoid putting himself in those situations in the first place. If Ocon wants to be a campaigner and dive down in Turn 1 to un-lap himself, then let him do it and focus on winning the race.

Yep and Hamo would be the best driver out there to know about tempting easily avoidable collisions.

Charlie Whiting: "Ocon is entitled to unlap himself"

Also Charlie Whiting: "Ocon shouldn't have tried to overtake the leader"

Thanks for the clarification Charlie.

Drivers have always been allowed to unlap themselves. Ocon was ahead going into the first turn, Max well and truly knew he was there but still decided not to leave him any room going into turn 2. Only has himself to blame.

Ocon's 10 sec penalty is horseshit. If he's allowed to unlap himself, then he had every right to be in the spot he was.

Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Ocon should have been more careful and wears almost all of the blame but I had a good laugh.
Max never gives anyone any room and doesn't always protect legally. If he wasn't the next big thing he'd be penalised more often for it.

It helps him more often than not as everyone is super cautious around him but noone else in the top 6 would have had this collision with Ocon.

In this instance Max assumed because he was race leader everyone should worship the ground he drove on and just let him do his thing.

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ocon should have been more careful and wears almost all of the blame but I had a good laugh.
Max never gives anyone any room and doesn't always protect legally. If he wasn't the next big thing he'd be penalised more often for it.

It helps him more often than not as everyone is super cautious around him but noone else in the top 6 would have had this collision with Ocon.

In this instance Max assumed because he was race leader everyone should worship the ground he drove on and just let him do his thing.

Nailed it.
Can't stand Hamilton, but he was bang on with the advice he gave to Max in the post-race room.
He'll never be WDC if he doesn't iron out these moments of his.
Everyone goes on about how much of a talent he is, and he is, but let's not forget the past two seasons in the first half of both years he has been a glorified Maldonado, and then come good late in the year. That's not how you'll ever win a WDC.

Having said that, a terrible Honda in the back of his Red Bull will dictate his championship prospects far more than his temperament.

Sabbathen

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Nailed it.
Can't stand Hamilton, but he was bang on with the advice he gave to Max in the post-race room.
He'll never be WDC if he doesn't iron out these moments of his.
Everyone goes on about how much of a talent he is, and he is, but let's not forget the past two seasons in the first half of both years he has been a glorified Maldonado, and then come good late in the year. That's not how you'll ever win a WDC.

Having said that, a terrible Honda in the back of his Red Bull will dictate his championship prospects far more than his temperament.
The Honda engine being s**t for a year or two would be the best thing for his attitude to be honest. If he grows up a bit and fulfills his potential he would make a likable world champion compared to Lewis or Sebastian.

davis_756

Cancelled
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
The Honda engine being s**t for a year or two would be the best thing for his attitude to be honest. If he grows up a bit and fulfills his potential he would make a likable world champion compared to Lewis or Sebastian.
Surely you jest, they are all peanuts but max is worse then the other 2 combined. Kimi was the last likable world champ

Sabbathen

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Surely you jest, they are all peanuts but max is worse then the other 2 combined. Kimi was the last likable world champ
Max is still an immature kid, most of us act like a *******s at various times around that age. Like I said, if he grows out of it I think he will be ok compared to “praise the lord, my best mate is Bieber” Hamilton or Vettel who has never really lost the attitude Max has now when the chips are down.

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Max is still an immature kid, most of us act like a *******s at various times around that age. Like I said, if he grows out of it I think he will be ok compared to “praise the lord, my best mate is Bieber” Hamilton or Vettel who has never really lost the attitude Max has now when the chips are down.

Don't forget the ridiculous "love conquers all" from Hamilton when Vettel crashed out of the lead in Germany.

Back