jmac91

Perth Bandits Head Coach
Dec 27, 2017
Subiaco Oval
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Bandits
I think by BBL 10, The League would have expanded or about to expand to 10 teams. it is just where will these teams be placed. I have compiled a list of places that I think would be in the running and the grounds that they would play out of.

1. Canberra: Manuka Oval. This is a No brainer.
2. Geelong: Kardinia Park. With the success of Renegade games and a T20I game last year. I think Geelong would happily accept a BBL: Team
3. Gold Coast: Carrara Stadium. With the very recent success of the T20I and the Heat about to play 2 home games their this year, I think the Gold Coast has the capability to have a team of their own.
4. Perth 2nd: The WACA Ground. With the success of the Scorchers and them moving out of the WACA, I think this gives a second Perth team a chance to enter the league
5. North Queensland: Cazaly's Stadium/ Riverway Stadium. Not Having a specific home might make this team a success and would give the Region of North Queensland a team to support.
6. Launceston: York Park. A North Tassie team would create a rivalry with the same mystic as the Melbourne and Sydney derby's.
7. Northern Territory: Marrara Stadium/ Traeger Park. The Northern Territory dishes out top class talent that never gets to play in front of a home crowd.

It will eventually be Gold Coast and Canberra. Then nobody else for a long time.

They don't have a grandfather reality like the AFL and NRL. Geelong isn't coming in. That's Melbourne 3 in practice.

unless they can get more Internationals, that would free up some spots for another squad or 2.
One of the issues with them expanding the length of the competition is that less international players will be available for all of the season. So you'd probably need 15-20 extra international players as well.

One of the issues with them expanding the length of the competition is that less international players will be available for all of the season. So you'd probably need 15-20 extra international players as well.

They don't have to be literal international players. Could import domestic English and Pakistani players if the leftover Australians really are that bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well cricket's about the only sport that hasn't tried the Gold Coast. Might as well round off that wikipedia page on Failed Sports Teams on the Gold Coast.
The BBL might actually work there. Its a short season, more show than sport, and in the middle of the holiday season visiting families might go even if locals don't.
It isn't like relying on people to turn up every second week for five months.

All that said, the last thing Australian cricket needs is even more T20.

Worth mentioning a crowd of 20,135 turned up on the Gold Coast to watch the Heat play the Scorchers tonight. Cricket Australia would be happy about that from an expansion standpoint.

Yeah the talent is spread thin enough as it is with 8 teams, it would be even further diluted if they expanded it to 10 teams.

I always laugh when people say similar things in AFL circles. How many guys playing BBL currently are "not üp to it"?

If the BBL is increased by 1 - 2 teams. To ensure teams remain competitive, open up the international slots from the starting 2 in the playing XI up to 3, even 4 (like the IPL is). Would ensure the Australian talent is then allowed to spread across the whole competition.

North Qld would be rained out 2 out of 3 games.

Canberra and the Gold Coast - we could easily get 30 more players from Afghanistan, Pakistan, New Zealand, England, Windies and Australia.

Instead of thinning the talent pool, Any one keen for a two NZ teams one from north and other from south islands?

Instead of thinning the talent pool, Any one keen for a two NZ teams one from north and other from south islands?
One team in Auckland would be an acceptable area to expand into but two NZ teams is way too much IMO.

A second team in South East Queensland makes a lot of sense given there's close to 4 million people living here. Canberra is an interesting one but I think you would have to accept they will always be a small market team like the Hurricanes with very little opportunity for growth. Conversely, South East QLD is growing at a fast rate and they predict more than 1 million people will be living on the Gold Coast in the next 10-15 years.

why? they have their own T20 comp (as we've discussed on this board before)

I don't mind the idea. They seem to be similar to us where 2 - 3 teams are clear and away better than the rest of the competition.

One thing Cricket Australia should be worried about is the want too be big. Too much is not good. Evidenced by last years 7 week mongolith of a season. Went on, and on, and one. Adding more teams could only increase the fixture mess. Be careful and astute with what area they decide to add a BBL team into.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back