List Mgmt. 2018 Draft, Free Agency & Trade Hypotheticals thread, Part II: Nothing happened!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wonder if there was a gentlemans agreement between us and the Saints that they won't bid considering the samboys we got for Hanners.. Can't see carlton or gc bidding, if no saints, then Port probably will bid.

By the time bids are matched for Thomas, Quaynor, Scott, etc, all using picks later than our three, I expect our picks will be 41, 42, 43, a part of the draft we have plucked some great players in the past.

If we still have those 3 picks we should be looking at using two of them to trade up to a pick in the late 20's range.

We might have to agree to disagree on this one.

He certainly has an ability get the ball and he did everything asked of him in his debut season, but he strikes me as one of those bigger bodied mids who was able to dominate at junior level, but doesn't have as much scope for improvement at senior level. Add dodgy disposal to the mix, and I'm glad he's wearing brown and gold rather than the red and white.

I'm actually surprised that the Hawks selected him given Clarko's historic focus on players with clean footskills, but given their draft hand beggers cant be choosers

Don't get me wrong, he deserves his spot on an AFL list and given his start he's a good chance to knock out 100+ games at AFL level. I just think his ceiling is good ordinary footballer at best

I think the reason the Hawks would be rapt with him is because he is an inside mid, pure and simple. They don't need to be super clean, they just have to be tough and willing to win the pill when others (say an Isaac Smith) won't. Their recent trade and drafting history backs that up. They got Mitchell (average disposal), O'Meara (average disposal, albeit due to injuries) and then went after Worpel, whose disposal wasn't rated that highly in the draft. These were all smart acquisitions after they lost the nucleus of their engine room when Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis left. None are super skilful but they can win plenty of the ball and get it out to the likes of Shiel, Burgoyne, Smith, those on the outside that are skilful.

Some people seem to have too high a standard, that midfielders must be versatile, and able to be super silky while also being both an inside accumulator and an outside runner is nonsensical IMO.

i wonder if there was a gentlemans agreement between us and the Saints that they won't bid considering the samboys we got for Hanners.. Can't see carlton or gc bidding, if no saints, then Port probably will bid.

I was pondering the same thing this afternoon then logged on after kids were asleep and saw your post. It's certainly plausible there could be an in principle agreement between Swans and Saints. Given the sweetener that went Saints way via the extra draft pick it begs to wonder why that was?

I was pondering the same thing this afternoon then logged on after kids were asleep and saw your post. It's certainly plausible there could be an in principle agreement between Swans and Saints. Given the sweetener that went Saints way via the extra draft pick it begs to wonder why that was?
Because they took a truckload of salary off our guilty hands. That doesn't get reported in the dry facts of trading player X for Pick Y. Clearing salary cap was clearly a priority for us and we paid for getting this off the books by receiving a half eaten pack of fun size salt and vinegar samboys in exchange.

Blakey is worth a top 5 IMO and I think we will have to match him at pick 3. Suns will be after a tall, and I think if it were between Ben King and Blakey, they'd prefer Blakey as there'd be less chance of a Victorian club luring him away than King.

That is if the Suns were smart. Based on their history, they're likely to pick Bailey Smith, then accept pick 40 when he returns home in three years time.

Blakey is worth a top 5 IMO and I think we will have to match him at pick 3. Suns will be after a tall, and I think if it were between Ben King and Blakey, they'd prefer Blakey as there'd be less chance of a Victorian club luring him away than King.

That is if the Suns were smart. Based on their history, they're likely to pick Bailey Smith, then accept pick 40 when he returns home in three years time.

Dew's not doing that. Screwing us by taking a lesser and far riskier injury prone pick - for no gain at all given we'd match won't be in his playbook. You'd be far closer to the mark had he been on the park the last two years I think.
I see your point on Melbourne players though. They should go country players where they can...

These kids should just accept that they might have to move away from home to pursue their lifelong dream and if they can't handle it they shouldn't nominate for the draft.

Getting very sick of the 'go home' crap that our sport goes through.

Dew's not doing that. Screwing us by taking a lesser and far riskier injury prone pick - for no gain at all given we'd match won't be in his playbook. You'd be far closer to the mark had he been on the park the last two years I think.
I see your point on Melbourne players though. They should go country players where they can...

Who said anything about screwing us? Gold Coast have as much right to pick Blakey as we do. If they think he's the best tall in this year's draft (which alongside Lukosius I think he is) then who could begrudge them doing so? The onus would then be on the Swans whether to match it or not.

These kids should just accept that they might have to move away from home to pursue their lifelong dream and if they can't handle it they shouldn't nominate for the draft.

Getting very sick of the 'go home' crap that our sport goes through.

Yep agreed.

Bailey Smith has reportedly been adamant about not wanting to leave Victoria. It's one thing for Scrimshaw to live and play interstate for two years and then decide it wasn't good for his football or his mental health. But how dare Smith play the go-home card when he hadn't even actually left home yet. Should be grateful he's even being considered for a career that thousands of others could only dream of. Do these kids wanna be footballers or be tourist ambassadors for their respective states?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't wait for this thread in 2021 , people will want to trade Blakey.

I thought Hayward had it hard being put up as trade bait after two seasons. Blakey will be measured by the Swans Academy standard. If he's not a ready-made star by round 3 of his debut season like Heeney and Mills were, then he's a write-off!

Yep agreed.

Bailey Smith has reportedly been adamant about not wanting to leave Victoria. It's one thing for Scrimshaw to live and play interstate for two years and then decide it wasn't good for his football or his mental health. But how dare Smith play the go-home card when he hadn't even actually left home yet. Should be grateful he's even being considered for a career that thousands of others could only dream of. Do these kids wanna be footballers or be tourist ambassadors for their respective states?
Dunkley 2.0

There is no way on earth that Blakey is going to be picked ahead of Lukosis. He will be the GC's tall selection. They will go small at selection 3- probably Rankine or Connor Rozee. Smith I recon would be more in the mix for pick 6 not picks 2 or 3.

Dunkley 2.0

No such thing as draft tampering anymore..........................for Vic clubs benefit.
No such thing as MCG home GF advantage.........................for Vic clubs benefit.
No such thing as salary cap breaches anymore with outside cap deals & payments..................for Vic clubs benefit.

The more & more things one puts up as a potential inequality of the competition, the more heavily it leans in the Victorian clubs' favour & it really needs to be addressed ASAP. I guess that's why the Swans, are leading the Crows & West Coast in this best of 3 GF discussion. I don't actually think they believe it will happen but basically pointing out that a best of 3 GF at different venues isn't as RIDICULOUS as signing a contract to play the GF in Victoria until 2056 etc.

Sorry! Off topic. The Dunkley wanting to stay in Vic thing got me going again & the go home factor has been one of my pet hates for years now.
MODS! You can move this to the 'Who Gives a F . . .c' thread or start a new thread for victims like me!:rolleyes:

No, he could be coming here!

Sons of Merv Neagle and Andrew Dunkley may end up at Essendon and Sydney in the rookie draft
http://afl.com.au/news/2018-11-20/afl-reveals-list-of-fathersons-and-academy-draft-nominees

It was interesting to hear Thurlow say his first game he attended was a Swans game at the SCG and the reason this occurred is his family are good friends with the Dunkleys. Might make it easier for Kyle to settle in should we decide to select him given he knows someone at the club pretty well.

It was interesting to hear Thurlow say his first game he attended was a Swans game at the SCG and the reason this occurred is his family are good friends with the Dunkleys. Might make it easier for Kyle to settle in should we decide to select him given he knows someone at the club pretty well.
Ok, was the article or video posted anywhere? I can’t say I’ve seen that so it’d be great if you have a link.

I'd let his dad try & find him a spot on an AFL list in Victoria Mick.
I think that's how it works. Wouldn't waste a list spot on him. That just my bitter opinion of course.
That is bitter Ted but that doesn’t mean Kyle is anything like Josh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back