Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you not in favour of the AFLW, when it has 18 teams, eventually having a 22 wk season?

I am proposing that the AFL Commission, as the self-proclaimed keeper of the code, engages with the AFL Clubs to slash their (not player wage) FD expenditures in the near future ie have a much lower FD cap across the whole AFL.
Hopefully, the Clubs would accept a reduction in their AFL grants (based on similar amount to the Clubs' FD savings). The AFL & Clubs should accept that the interests of the game are paramount.
Significant additional GR funding is required for urgent & more important/strategic GR areas, as outlined in my post #649 above.

The Australian 10.11.18 Heading "One man's 'audacious' $1 bn crusade for gender equality reaches nations highest office"
https://www.pmso.sportsfoundation.o...ender-equality-reaches-nations-highest-office

Campbell Rose (ex Footscray CEO) will be giving an address on Nov.21 at the inaugural Prime Minister's Sporting Oration. Julia Gillard will also deliver an oration.
He is calling "... on the federal and state governments for 1 $billion dollars in additional (my emphasis) funding over 5 years to boost female participation in sport...one of the biggest barriers for girls to participating in sport was inadequate changing facilities at local sporting clubs. If you want elite athletes, you need a strong base; the cream will always float to the top".

I believe the AFL should spend much more on its GR, so it can maximise the number of elite female athletes playing AF!

The AFL should seek its fair share of this GR additional funding from govts. if it transpires- but public funding will never be sufficient for AF's growing needs. The AFL MUST spend MUCH more to meet future GR needs. This issue has much greater importance than the bloated AFL Club football departments.
"A Cricket Victoria audit last year found 81% of facilities across the state were not suitable for girls and women...". I assume an equivalent figure applies to AF clubs.
"The average cost to upgrade a typical club's facilities was $150,000".

Why is such an important Conference necessary, with so many prominent speakers, discussing GR sports?
Do you accept there is a need for Billions to be spent on GR female & male AF facilities before 2050; & other GR sports' facilities?
Where will the money come from?
There is a major, very competitive, battle now (against other sports) for the AFL to attract the best female athletes to AF. The AFL & the game, for strategic reasons, cannot afford to lose this battle; also, mothers play a significant role in what sports their children play. Do you agree?
Do you agree the AFL cannot afford the major PR damage & anti-AF hostility if it underfunds female GR AF?

https://www.pmso.sportsfoundation.org.au/the-event/

I never said the AFL Commission could unilaterally slash the Clubs' (non player wages) FD spending- & Annual grants (by a similar amount). Negotiations & briefings would obviously be lengthy & comprehensive re slashing the bloated Club football department spending.

I disagree with your comments on the major decline in Tas. AF- & the consequent destruction of the Tas. fabled VFL/AFL recruitment goldmine: both are a disgrace. I prefer the expert views of AFL Tas. officials; & Demetriou & McLachlan's comments ("When expansion happens next, Tas. will probably be the next team in"- & the reasoning, & logical conclusions, to be drawn from the latters' comments).
Tas. previously defeated Vic., WA & SA a few times in State games; & was competitive in many others. Tas. would be annihilated now. SHAME VFL/AFL!
This issue is best discussed in the numerous other Tas. threads.

Last edited:
Are you not in favour of the AFLW, when it has 18 teams, eventually having a 22 wk season?

I am proposing that the AFL Commission, as the self-proclaimed keeper of the code, engages with the AFL Clubs to slash their (not player wage) FD expenditures in the near future ie have a much lower FD cap across the whole AFL.
Hopefully, the Clubs would accept a reduction in their AFL grants (based on similar amount to the Clubs' FD savings). The AFL & Clubs should accept that the interests of the game are paramount.
Significant additional GR funding is required for urgent & more important/strategic GR areas, as outlined in my post #649 above.

The Australian 10.11.18 Heading "One man's 'audacious' $1 bn crusade for gender equality reaches nations highest office"

Campbell Rose (ex Footscray CEO) will be giving an address on Nov.21 at th inaugural Prime Minister's Sporting Oration. Julia Gillard will also deliver an oration.
He is calling "... on the federal and state governments for 1 $billion dollars in additional (my emphasis) funding over 5 years to boost female participation in sport...one of the biggest barriers for girls to participating in sport was inadequate changing facilities at local sporting clubs. If you want elite athletes, you need a strong base; the cream will always float to the top".

I believe the AFL should spend more on its GR, so it can maximise the number of elite female athletes playing AF!

The AFL should seek its fair share of this GR additional funding from govts. if it transpires- but public funding will never be sufficient for AF. The AFL MUST spend MUCH more to meet future GR needs. This issue has much greater importance than the bloated AFL Club football departments.
"A Cricket Victoria audit last year found 81% of facilities across the state were not suitable for girls and women...". I assume an equivalent figure applies to AF clubs.
"The average cost to upgrade a typical club's facilities was $150,000".

www.theaustralian.com.au%2Fsport%2Fpms-sporting-oration-to-launch-funding-drive-for-womens-sport%2Fnews-story%2Faf6890a6dad383e88443deef5fa6dc9e&memtype=anonymous&v21suffix=apaf-b
Paywall
The proportion of income spent by the AFL outside the areas of player wages and direct league expenses is already very high by pro sport standards.

It's due to this that the AFLPA is willing to push for AFLW wage increases. It knows the AFL has the werewithal to pay for it without ramping back spending on male players.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

AFLW can't support a 22 week season; it would clash with one or both of cricket and the AFL season. Both would be detrimental to the numbers of spectators and TV viewers.

There may be a small subset of people that are interested in AFLW but neither cricket or AFL; but I'd warrant there's a significant crossover.

AFLW can't support a 22 week season; it would clash with one or both of cricket and the AFL season. Both would be detrimental to the numbers of spectators and TV viewers.

There may be a small subset of people that are interested in AFLW but neither cricket or AFL; but I'd warrant there's a significant crossover.
W-League manages to operate at the same time as the A-League.

Going by the AFL words in wanting women's football to grow, that can't be achieved without having a longer season, so it's going to happen in one way or another.

Going by the AFL words in wanting women's football to grow, that can't be achieved without having a longer season, so it's going to happen in one way or another.

They’ve gone with a conference system with the intention of (in my opinion) being able to have all 18 AFL sides with an AFLW team, but not having to play a 23 week season (plus finals).

They’ve gone with a conference system with the intention of (in my opinion) being able to have all 18 AFL sides with an AFLW team, but not having to play a 23 week season (plus finals).
I still can't imagine 14 teams, the 2020 timeline, only playing 7 games

I still can't imagine 14 teams, the 2020 timeline, only playing 7 games

I don't think we'll see a 2 conference 14 round season for a while yet, so they might extend by a week or two with an uneven fixture.

Alternatively they're experimenting with the conference idea in AFLW as a precursor to doing the same for the AFL...

Quite a few people can do more than 1 thing. Especially in a situation like WA. Freo men's team play away, women play home, then vice versa. With the Eagles on the alternate schedule, then for the Derby, a double header.

2 games in Perth every week, 1 men's, 1 women's. Make sure the women's game is scheduled to not clash with the telecast of the men's game.

Works for Adelaide, Qld, NSW. Even works in a fashion for Victoria. Probably a few clashes in Vic, but they can be minimised.

Quite a few people can do more than 1 thing. Especially in a situation like WA. Freo men's team play away, women play home, then vice versa. With the Eagles on the alternate schedule, then for the Derby, a double header.

2 games in Perth every week, 1 men's, 1 women's. Make sure the women's game is scheduled to not clash with the telecast of the men's game.

Works for Adelaide, Qld, NSW. Even works in a fashion for Victoria. Probably a few clashes in Vic, but they can be minimised.

Do you think this is realistically going to happen in the next 5 years?

And with pitiful attendances and virtually no media presence that really seems to be working out well for them...

The AFL have the luxury of a large enough presence that they can run their women's league separately and not have it cannibalised by the main competition.

Why can't it? 8 teams in year 1 up to 18 by whenever that happens sounds like growth to me.

The season length is only going to expand dramatically when it generates enough revenue to meet the increased expenses that would come with that.
Based on the current CBA figures, a 17 round season with 18 clubs would cost roughly $18million a year. That doesn't account for the expanded lists that would be required, nor the increased football department expenses that would follow.

Plus even if that significant revenue gap is closed, the AFL's quest for nearly year-long exposure means that any lengthening of the AFLW season will likely still take place during the off-season months.

Alternatively they're experimenting with the conference idea in AFLW as a precursor to doing the same for the AFL...

That won't happen, conferences are really only a decent solution when you have more teams than rounds, and that's not a problem in the AFL. AFL fixturing is a separate issue that can't be solved by a 'true' conference model.

Plus consider the fear of conferences that pops up on this board over a fledgling league, then magnify that by the full AFL audience. The backlash would sink it pretty quickly.

Do you think this is realistically going to happen in the next 5 years?
To that extent, no. I do think it will overlap the AFL more than it is soon, for the simple reason that it has to. It will not overlap totally quickly though, and not just to avoid clashing with the AFL, but to also avoid clashing with the state leagues. Having them at the same time effectively pulls 250 or so of the best players out of the state leagues, and there is concerns at the impact that will have.

However, I think it is only a couple of years or so until the state leagues without the AFLW players are of a higher standard than they were before the AFLW was introduced.

To that extent, no. I do think it will overlap the AFL more than it is soon, for the simple reason that it has to. It will not overlap totally quickly though, and not just to avoid clashing with the AFL, but to also avoid clashing with the state leagues. Having them at the same time effectively pulls 250 or so of the best players out of the state leagues, and there is concerns at the impact that will have.

However, I think it is only a couple of years or so until the state leagues without the AFLW players are of a higher standard than they were before the AFLW was introduced.

Within the next 5 - 10 years we're likely to see; expansion to 18 teams, a longer season, larger team lists, and a pushing out / retirement of a number of the 'lesser' players currently at AFLW level.

I think we're quite a way off the league being fully able to run separately to the VFLW without completely gutting that league of any talent.

Within the next 5 - 10 years we're likely to see; expansion to 18 teams, a longer season, larger team lists, and a pushing out / retirement of a number of the 'lesser' players currently at AFLW level.

I think we're quite a way off the league being fully able to run separately to the VFLW without completely gutting that league of any talent.
I think players with the talent of the `average` 2016 AFLW player will not be good enough to be drafted within 3 years, and these players will be going into state leagues, and in pretty big numbers.
This isnt like the more mature male comp, where the number of juniors year to year is very roughly the same, the standard of the elite pathways is very roughly the same, and the quality of the comps they play in is very roughly the same. None of these things hold true for the womens comp. You are looking at a 25 - 30% yearly growth in the junior base (minimum), the resources for elite pathways has only ramped up in the last few years, the Vic girls TAC cup has only been running a few years. The quality of the junior comps they are coming through has been low, but is improving fast.

For boys, you can have a super draft, and not have that degree of quality again for years, for women, every year is going to be a super draft.

You could easily see half the top 10 players in 2019 being 20 or under, this just doesn't happen in mens footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It appears, due to the success & publicity generated by GWS AFLW multi-sport athlete (but mainly a super star in Gaelic Football) Cora Staunton, more VERY athletic Irish women will be attempting a career in the AFLW.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-14/aflw-how-the-cora-effect-has-boosted-irish-numbers

Also, it appears that Gaelic Football is becoming more of a running game (& requiring high levels of fitness); & short kicking to maintain possession. These features are similar to the current AFL game style (which, IMO, devalues/deskills unique & traditional AF. Similar arguments are occuring in Ireland about "dumbing-down"/hurting Gaelic Football).
This is likely to result in more super athletic & skilled Irish women & men attempting a career in Aust.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-28/truck-of-the-irish-takeover-continues-with-record-number

Conversely, it can be said that only Stynes, Wight, Kennelly, Tuohy, & Hanley have been a long term success in AF- c. 8.7% (57 have been on an AFL list) of those who have attempted the switch.

Last edited:
An interesting little tidbit arising from an event I was part of in Geelong on Saturday to show teams are out there are coming at recruiting players at different angles.

We just held the Australian Regional Gaelic Football Championships in Geelong on Saturday.

As part of that there was a Women's comp. Geelong fielded their first ever women's side in the comp made up of a few Irish lasses but mostly local Aussie rules players from West Giants.

It came to light that after the tournament that there was a North Melbourne scout there watching the days games. I know at least one player from the Geelong side was approached by the scout.

Just shows the search for players has clubs turning up in the most unlikely places looking for potential recruits.

No doubt the huge 7 a side comp in Melbourne on the 24th of Feb at Gaelic Park in Melbourne will have a few scouts floating about.

Also, it appears that Gaelic Football is becoming more of a running game (& requiring high levels of fitness); & short kicking to maintain possession.

That's how it was always played.

If anything it's going the other way with a mark being able to be claimed now from the kick out where as previously it was just play on.

Mo hope blocked me on Instagram last night because i accused her of making everything about her.

A woman who claims to have thick skin and resilience against everything, shes very week.

Cant stand her. Biggest fraud since old mate one nut lance Armstrong

Mo hope blocked me on Instagram last night because i accused her of making everything about her.

A woman who claims to have thick skin and resilience against everything, shes very week.

I would have blocked you for doing that, and I am thicked skinned. However, life is to short to bother with heckling from randoms. Block, move on.

I would have blocked you for doing that, and I am thicked skinned. However, life is to short to bother with heckling from randoms. Block, move on.

Really? So youre happy to get praise for everything you do, the second you get negative feedback you instantly block somebody?

Really? So youre happy to get praise for everything you do, the second you get negative feedback you instantly block somebody?

You're going on to a complete strangers' social media to attack them...

I'm no fan of Mo Hope but I have better things to do than seek out and criticise her, and if someone was annoying me I'd probably have done the same thing.

Instagram is not the place for it, the sort of thing you posted on someone's Instagram feed isn't negative feedback, it's straight up trolling. She blocked a troll. Simple.

Fair enough Id probably block people bagging me if I was an AFL player.

But I agree with your points, she was happy to take the big $$$ from Collingwood, then plays like s**t, gets a big offer from North, walks out on the pies. Does Survivor, quits that because she cant handle it. Walks out on Sportsman night because Mick had something to say. Very fragile girl trying to be tough - shes pathetic really.

They are based on fixed tiers. So it's not really an offer. She actually switched before next season's pay deal and tiers were even determined.

That's what I thought too.

Those claiming knowledge to the contrary: please feel free to support it with facts, figures, sources, educated guesses or basically anything that isn't an outright lie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back