Why do you go to the gym?

Yup.

And also the fact i will never have "skinny" legs- cause of my bone structure. I have big knees, aint nothing ever gonna change that.
/i still have ok legs tho- i particularly like my calves, they're pretty skinny- its my thighs that are chunkier.

Ive got a weird shaped body. like a smaller version of jonah hill. short legs

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Same, pretty much.

Would possibly like to take a bit more off my stomach area but meh whatevs. If I did, the weight would just go off "all over" ie. my **** and i dont want to lose weight from there.
Yeah, I don't have Peter Andre's abs, but they're good enough. And if I get any bigger, it effects my running for footy.
Defo not worth losing any mammary material for your good self.

Yeah, I don't have Peter Andre's abs, but they're good enough. And if I get any bigger, it effects my running for footy.
Defo not worth losing any mammary material for your good self.

Oh I know dw. In my 20s I weighed 54-55kg. Was tiny. I'm now 60kg in my 30s ;)

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Yup.

And also the fact i will never have "skinny" legs- cause of my bone structure. I have big knees, aint nothing ever gonna change that.
/i still have ok legs tho- i particularly like my calves, they're pretty skinny- its my thighs that are chunkier.

Which part of your bone structure won’t allow you to have skinny legs

Which part of your bone structure won’t allow you to have skinny legs

Should clarify- i'm not saying i have "fat" legs- i will just never ever have those amazing skinny type legs models have? There is no way- a. not tall enough b. my knees, etc. I'm happy with my legs in general tho.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Should clarify- i'm not saying i have "fat" legs- i will just never ever have those amazing skinny type legs models have? There is no way- a. not tall enough b. my knees, etc. I'm happy with my legs in general tho.

That comes down to genetics, along with starving yourself skinny.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
My abs are visible but not clearly defined.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
What’s the definition (pardon the pun) here?
Visible

images-5.jpg

Clearly Defined

unnamed.jpg

JCHolmes

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
For me it's multiple reasons. Neared 40 and had a younger brother pass away (not health related), that and middle aged brought it into focus it's up to me to give me what I wanted.

The gym and sprinting (my cardio) gives me a body (from the shoulders down) that looks better then most 23 year olds at 43. It puts me on track for a long life and one where I won't be shuffling at 65 from a broken hip. It gets me looks I like from my wife. I like being stronger (after being a skinny s**t through life). I like having the energy to run around with my boys, not be one of those fat/unfit parents watching them from the sidelines.

And there's a sense of satisfaction of having made changes to my body, that come down to my hard work, changes (unless you're stupid enough to do steroids), you can't buy, inherit or luck into, ones you have to put in the hard work. Yes, I admit I'm a fitness snob to some degree. I don't say it out loud, but whenever I hear (inevitably fat) people saying 'I'd do anything to be fit', I do mentally go 'Except pull your arse out of bed 4 times a week at 5am, when it's so ******* warm under the blankets. Or stick to eating right most of the time'.

Sprinting!! yeh man so much better imo, quick sprints between light jog/walks get the heart rate up to maximum pumping, kinda like soccer player style cardio of short sharp bursts over a period. I find this very satisfying and works well with building muscle for skinny blokes like myself.

In general, the gym, it makes me feel good, look good, cultivate honor (lmao a bit overboard but yeh kinda, depends how you look at s**t), self discipline, stronger, more confident. Every man should be in the gym for some period of time imo. Its benefits go beyond looking in great shape and being healthy, it changes your mindset imo and how pain and struggle and work and looking past satisfying today's short term desires (TV, lounging around, eating crap, booze) for something better tomorrow make you feel like superman and have your own path that you decide and create. It becomes habit and you start to really look forward to those 4-5 days a week where you throw weights around, eat a nice healthy meal after, protein shake and then you sleep well. If you can stick to a good diet and gym for a year straight, and stick to it and thus build nice results, then really there isnt much you cant do if you really wanted in your life. Its the long game, and its really damn satisfying.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
i think abs. some not understanding that everyone has them, just the adipose tissue covers it up.

biceps i think are easier to work on. ergo, abs = gold
Abs require more work, you need to tighten your diet as well, which is much harder then exercising for most people. You can have reasonable arms whilst still carrying some extra weight, abs you can't. And many guys like working arms as they are visible more of the time. You can't walk around with your abs showing most of the time.

I'm 45 and most of the early morning workout guys at my gym are 30-60. There's plenty with reasonable biceps, but those with abs (not that I'm particularly looking in the change rooms, but over 6 years at my gym you can't avoid seeing other blokes. Thankfully it's only when around 70 they for some reason feel it's fine to walk around with nothing on for an extended time :eek: ) are few and far between.

FWIW from various on line articles / survey's of what's women's favourite men's body parts are (usual disclaimer everyone has their own preference), its:
1. Abs
2. Glutes
3. Biceps

Glutes sit somewhere in between for how hard to get a reasonable shape. From my own experience I've never noticed anyone checking my arms out or having commented to my wife on them, that she's passed on. I don't go out in public (outside the beach) with my abs showing (they sit a bit better than the visible shot above, but no where near the bottom ripped photo), so no comments there. By genetics I had a flat butt (like a straight line from shoulders to feet) until I did a bulging disc in my back and started working my glutes a lot to stop my lower back taking over. Since then they gained shape and I've had her pass on to me that two of her friends have commented on my behind since then :D

Back