Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:
That is just not true. He kicked 4 in an elimination final last year and would have kicked even more had he not missed half that game.

He's been under an injury cloud in his last 4 finals anyway.

I like his fitness is an excuse we lost finals but then the record is used to criticise him

We wouldn’t play finals without buddy the last 2 years

Our medical staff are on fire. I mean while most clubs would have had Buddy go into surgery 6 weeks ago our club decided that it was much more fun to wait so he would miss out on half of the preseason.

Our fitness and sawbones staff make Horse look like a champion coach.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Our medical staff are on fire. I mean while most clubs would have had Buddy go into surgery 6 weeks ago our club decided that it was much more fun to wait so he would miss out on half of the preseason.

If you read up further he had knee surgery on 28th September. Probably want a break between surgeries.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Delayed start

Groin surgery today

How the **** has it just been decided now that he required surgery now ? If he has done the groin in preseason training fair enough but if has been a lingering ailment then this is ******* amateur hour at this football club. Injuries have never been worse and fitness levels lower since Dave Missen and Nathan Gibbs left the club.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
If you read up further he had knee surgery on 28th September. Probably want a break between surgeries.

Mase what were the knee surgeries ? If just minor repair or scrapes you don't need 6 weeks between surgeries Mate. I have had both knees scraped with in a fortnight and ankle surgery 2 weeks after that. We have had a habit in recent times of treating injuries and then deciding to go with surgery causing delay in players return. All we can look forward to now is Franklin at 50% for another season once again.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Mase what were the knee surgeries ? If just minor repair or scrapes you don't need 6 weeks between surgeries Mate. I have had both knees scraped with in a fortnight and ankle surgery 2 weeks after that. We have had a habit in recent times of treating injuries and then deciding to go with surgery causing delay in players return. All we can look forward to now is Franklin at 50% for another season once again.

I have got no idea I am not a doctor or surgeon. Maybe Buddy went on holidays.

I am sure there are reasons why. He will be fine, he wouldn’t likely train with any significant intensity before Christmas anyway.

It was planned that rest would be the optimal form of recovery post-season for Lance, however it hasn’t healed at the rate we would have liked and surgery was determined as the best course of action,” Gardiner said.

“We are confident Lance will make a full recovery and he’ll do everything possible to bounce back and play a big part in 2019.”

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-11-20/franklins-delayed-preseason.mobileapp

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It was planned that rest would be the optimal form of recovery post-season for Lance, however it hasn’t healed at the rate we would have liked and surgery was determined as the best course of action,” Gardiner said.

“We are confident Lance will make a full recovery and he’ll do everything possible to bounce back and play a big part in 2019.”

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-11-20/franklins-delayed-preseason.mobileapp

That last sentence does not fill me with much confidence. Sounds more like wishful thinking than a statement of fact.

That last sentence does not fill me with much confidence. Sounds more like wishful thinking than a statement of fact.

That article says he injured his groin the second last week of H&A which was almost 3 months ago. 3 months "rest" and hasn't healed doesn't bode well, so yeah probably a whole lotta wishful thinking.
Maybe his groin hasn't done as much resting as the club believes?

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
That article says he injured his groin the last week of H&A which was almost 3 months ago. 3 months "rest" and hasn't healed doesn't bode well, so yeah probably a whole lotta wishful thinking.
Maybe his groin hasn't done as much resting as the club believes?

10180298-3x2-700x467.jpg

We now know in this photo that Buddy was most likely thinking about how sore his groin was rather than the AA captain award he just got. Also probably knew he was going to be pretty useless in the finals match too.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
I seriously worry about the degree of misery on this board. This is obviously not ideal, but if a recovery can be made without requiring surgery that is always a more appealing option than something more invasive. None of us have any idea about the nature of this injury or his recovery, none of us have access to the medical records, so to second guess the medical staff is pretty pointless. We are still in November, round one is still over four months away, senior players haven't even started preseason training yet. Let's just hold on a bit before we commit ritual suicide together.

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
I seriously worry about the degree of misery on this board. This is obviously not ideal, but if a recovery can be made without requiring surgery that is always a more appealing option than something more invasive. None of us have any idea about the nature of this injury or his recovery, none of us have access to the medical records, so to second guess the medical staff is pretty pointless. We are still in November, round one is still over four months away, senior players haven't even started preseason training yet. Let's just hold on a bit before we commit ritual suicide together.
Agreed, a keyboard hacker supporter knows more than qualified medical staff employed by the club. Some of the bullshit I read on here I can't believe.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Agree however surgeries have to be taking their toll on him groin, shoulder, hand, multiple knee cleanouts.

Back